Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVangelis' "Blade Runner"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What's Your Favorite:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
2 [15.38%]
1 [7.69%]
5 [38.46%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 02:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

One question to everybody....an old one....is it progressive enough or related only ? Wink

This is a hard question, specially in a place like this ... but a valuable one, that has a tendency to break things up, instead of bringing them together.

The music itself, is not going to go very far. One small little piece with one of his friends, is not either, which would tend to fit into an area called "experimental", which was the best description of "666" 40 years ago! Musically, it was more "cultural" than it was "creative". Same thing for their earlier albums!

The film presentation, and its state of the art cutting and story line, and its directing, was magnificent. The use of the music, was even better, by a director whose history was ... using the music well ... check that ... very well! So using Vangelis, he knew that he was going to have with him one of the best, and the story was literary enough that someone like Vangelis would devote time and space to it! And he did!

Disn't win the Oscar for it, though! The studio did not push it, and there were some fights about the movie at the time, and its versions, which likely did not help!

Not progressive. But magnificent film making and film with an excellent cast of everything!

a measure I think of how good it was is that Ridley Scott's sci-fi follow up was only released last year (and needless to say nowhere near as good)

I sincerely hope there is no Blade Runner sequel as previously mentioned and please don't let that guy who did the awfull new version of Total Recall loose on itOuch
The new version of Total Recall is so bloody poor that I had Totally Forgotten it.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 14:37
BeerBig smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 01:07
A Blade Runner sequel is going to happen and Ridley Scott will again direct.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 01:08
Oh, no.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 04:21
I hope not....We had already Tick As A Brick 2.
Guitar Noir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 07:32
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Looking forward to this!
"Sometimes the afterglow isn't enough and we have to move on." Steve Hackett
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 14:37
Originally posted by Guitar Noir Guitar Noir wrote:

Looking forward to this!

at least Ridley Scott is directing but after Prometheus which was very average (I think), I would still rather he didn't. 
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 15:21

Looking forward to this!

at least Ridley Scott is directing but after Prometheus which was very average (I think), I would still rather he didn't. 

Same here. Prometheus should have never been made - I'd rather watch Aliens Vs Predator 2 then watch Prometheus again. And I think at least 50 percent of the magic of Blade Runner is Vangelis' score, which I don't believe he or anyone else can re-produce.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 01:00
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Looking forward to this!

Same here. Prometheus should have never been made - I'd rather watch Aliens Vs Predator 2 then watch Prometheus again. And I think at least 50 percent of the magic of Blade Runner is Vangelis' score, which I don't believe he or anyone else can re-produce.

may well be true
Guitar Noir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 11:31

Looking forward to this!

For me I am not looking for the sequel to re-produce the magic of the first one, sonically or visually.  Blade Runner is one of my favorite all time movies and Harrison Ford is one of my favorite actors.  Blade Runner created such a rich universe, I just want to see a sequel expand on that.  Obviously I want it to be a great movie.  But I would love to see stories about other Blade Runners hunting replicants. 
"Sometimes the afterglow isn't enough and we have to move on." Steve Hackett
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 02:41
I suppose there is the question to resolve of whether Deckard is a replicant or not. The little paper unicorn was meant to tell him this I've always presumed?
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 07:58

I suppose there is the question to resolve of whether Deckard is a replicant or not. The little paper unicorn was meant to tell him this I've always presumed?

I agree with Guitar Noir in that, if there's to be a sequel, I hope it's about other characters within that world, rather than Deckard and Rachel's story... I don't want to know where they've gone or how they're getting on; it's best left to the imagination. Is Deckard a replicant? Best left a mystery, which deepens the film.

So much that's special about Blade Runner is its retro-futurism and film noir character (reflected in Vangelis's score as well) - the seeming perpetual night, the urban seediness, the constant rainfall, not to mention the tropes of the world-weary cop and the femme fatale... If the textures and mood can be re-created, and we can follow completely new characters in this same place - wow, that would be so cool. Especially if they can get the music right. If the narrative can somehow intersect with the original in some way that's surprising without feeling contrived, that's even better. Perhaps a totally different Philip K. Dick short story can be set in the Blade Runner universe. I'm reminded of how Robert Altman took a dozen different Raymond Carver short stories and weaved them into his great film Short Cuts.

If it's done right, it could be great. But so rarely are things done right. Has there ever been a case where a director revisited one of his classic works and it was anything other than mediocre? Coppola's Godfather III should never have been made; ditto Scott's Alien prequel Prometheus. Lucas's Star Wars prequels were utterly awful.

Edited by jude111 - June 28 2013 at 08:29
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 08:57

I agree with Guitar Noir in that, if there's to be a sequel, I hope it's about other characters within that world, rather than Deckard and Rachel's story... I don't want to know where they've gone or how they're getting on; it's best left to the imagination. Is Deckard a replicant? Best left a mystery, which deepens the film.

So much that's special about Blade Runner is its retro-futurism and film noir character (reflected in Vangelis's score as well) - the seeming perpetual night, the urban seediness, the constant rainfall, not to mention the tropes of the world-weary cop and the femme fatale... If the textures and mood can be re-created, and we can follow completely new characters in this same place - wow, that would be so cool. Especially if they can get the music right. If the narrative can somehow intersect with the original in some way that's surprising without feeling contrived, that's even better. Perhaps a totally different Philip K. Dick short story can be set in the Blade Runner universe. I'm reminded of how Robert Altman took a dozen different Raymond Carver short stories and weaved them into his great film Short Cuts.

If it's done right, it could be great. But so rarely are things done right. Has there ever been a case where a director revisited one of his classic works and it was anything other than mediocre? Coppola's Godfather III should never have been made; ditto Scott's Alien prequel Prometheus. Lucas's Star Wars prequels were utterly awful.

Deckard suspects to be a replicant, Douglas Quaid thinks to have dreamed of Mars, and nobody knows if Palmer Eldritch is a dream or not. Being unable of recognize reality from dreams is the typical theme of every Dick's novel.  
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 10:47

Deckard suspects to be a replicant, Douglas Quaid thinks to have dreamed of Mars, and nobody knows if Palmer Eldritch is a dream or not. Being unable of recognize reality from dreams is the typical theme of every Dick's novel.  

Yes, it's a theme mined in cyberpunk and postmodern scifi as well (of which Blade Runner was a pioneer, along with precursors like Chris Marker's La jetee and Godard's Alphaville). In post-Blade Runner films like Dark City (and the director's follow-up, the under-rated I Robot), The Matrix, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Truman Show, and Vanilla Sky (as well as the remake of Marker's film, 12 Monkeys), characters are unsure of their own identity and what's real.

When I first heard that there was to be a re-make of Total Recall, I was desperately hoping that it would be set in the Blade Runner world (which after all made frequent mention of 'off-world colonies'). Alas they blew it...

Edited by jude111 - June 28 2013 at 10:50
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 10:49

Yes, it's a theme mined in cyberpunk and postmodern scifi as well (of which Blade Runner was a pioneer, along with precursors like Chris Marker's La jetee and Godard's Alphaville). In post-Blade Runner films like Dark City, The Matrix, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Truman Show, and Vanilla Sky (as well as the remake of Marker's film, 12 Monkeys), characters are unsure of their own identity and what's real.

When I first heard that there was to be a re-make of Total Recall, I was desperately hoping that it would be set in the Blade Runner world (which after all made frequent mention of 'off-world colonies'). Alas they blew it...
Dark City could have been a great movie if only they omitted explaining everything in the first minutes
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 10:58

Dark City could have been a great movie if only they omitted explaining everything in the first minutes

I agree. I quite like the film, but it misses masterpiece status. The director followed Dark City with the film I Robot, which I strongly disliked at first but have come to like over the years the more I thought about it.

For example, one reason I didn't like it at first (and it got a lot of criticism over this) was the product placement in the film: Converse shoes, Audi car, etc. But then I began to realize: all these products are destroyed in the film: the shoes become covered in blood and are ruined; the car gets rubbished; Will Smith's character grabs the FedEx robot by the face and pushes him away, etc. It goes to the heart of the film: it's the corporation and its slimy CEO that's unleashed the robots, etc etc. The director was clearly riffing on Blade Runner: a cop is the hero, there's a CEO who sits at the top of his empire perched over the city; Deckard may or may not be human, while Will Smith is half-robot...

Edited by jude111 - June 28 2013 at 11:00
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 11:32

Wow, that's ... quite an epic formula you've laid out there, jude, ... but I don't think even that would work because it's a formula in which some things from Blade Runner would be repeated or rehashed. I personally wouldn't want that to happen. Another somewhat philosophical love story with replicants? Why? And what is the music going to be like? I'm thinking that no matter how you lump it, you will come up with a variation of Blade Runner. Why? That's why I think Ridley will never topple his 1982 classic. And didn't we have enough sequels already over the past ten years? I think Ridley should work from the other end - come up with something truly original, like Kubrick would, and maybe, maybe then employ some ideas from Blade Runner.

But hey, that's just me.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 28 2013 at 11:46
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 15:14

In post-Blade Runner films like Dark City (and the director's follow-up, the under-rated I Robot)

I enjoyed Proyas' The Crow and Dark City a lot but I felt I, Robot was forgettable fare.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 15:02

I think they were looking at a sort of prequel to the main film ... but the film without Roy, and his group and total individuality ... is not likely to stand up, and be nothing but a copy of the whole thing.

Could be interesting if they look at the early days of the replicants, and find that the ones that didn't work were the odd ones where something like a wire went wrong, and it became ... the Darryl Hannah character, for example ... or the other wire went broke, and it became Roy ... or the like, but even that is a bit too strange and creating a whole world around that, might be next to impossible.

The "after" of the film would be very tough ... the likelihood, is that he ages, and Rachel doesn't ... and this creates an interesting dilemma ... she will become a Melmoth the wonderer ... she can not love, because they will all die! And there are no replicants that were succeesful that would make sense for her to get involved with. And does she have emotions? How can she "love" and appreciate the man that fell in love with her?

As long as it doesn't become a crappy Hollywood love story ... I might see it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 16:49
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I think they were looking at a sort of prequel to the main film ... but the film without Roy, and his group and total individuality ... is not likely to stand up, and be nothing but a copy of the whole thing.

Could be interesting if they look at the early days of the replicants, and find that the ones that didn't work were the odd ones where something like a wire went wrong, and it became ... the Darryl Hannah character, for example ... or the other wire went broke, and it became Roy ... or the like, but even that is a bit too strange and creating a whole world around that, might be next to impossible.

The "after" of the film would be very tough ... the likelihood, is that he ages, and Rachel doesn't ... and this creates an interesting dilemma ... she will become a Melmoth the wonderer ... she can not love, because they will all die! And there are no replicants that were succeesful that would make sense for her to get involved with. And does she have emotions? How can she "love" and appreciate the man that fell in love with her?

As long as it doesn't become a crappy Hollywood love story ... I might see it!

I thought it's pretty well accepted that (at least, according to Ridley Scott) Deckard, too, is a replicant (he just doesn't know it). But I agree, the Roy character is, for me, the central and most memorable character in the film. In fact, Rutger Hauer's Roy is probably my favorite character from any movie--and the "Tears in the Rain" scene the most powerful scene I've ever been witness to. 

I say, Let it lie. There's no need for prequels, sequels, or remakes. Heck, there are enough "alternate versions" to keep one busy for the rest of our lives.  
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>