Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPetition to get Jon Anderson back into Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 22:05
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Implying Yes is musically relevant at all these days, with or without him.

I happen to agree with you but let's not get all contemporaneous here: all you need for relevance is sincerity in my book (and Yes ain't had that for over 30 years, hence my comparing them to that of a franchise)

I'm inferring you think old men in prog are irrelevant, which is at best fatuous.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:11
Implying Yes is musically relevant at all these days, with or without him.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:06
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Why would you try get attention for a band that is 30 years past their expiration date? 

Give your attention to better bands.

yeah, like the modern heavy weight, Charles MingusLOL

just joking...seriously, who would you recommend?
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:52
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Why would you try get attention for a band that is 30 years past their expiration date? 

That's a tad harsh...........why not give attention to the greats AND to 'better' bands...........??
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:24

Edited by Horizons - March 23 2013 at 19:24
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 18:38
Jon Anderson's last album was not too bad.  He's hopelessly devoted to cheese and digital synths, so anything new really needs a no-nonsense producer like Rick Rubin or Nigel Goodrich.  Jon also needs some help in the lyrics department.  There's only so many times you can write about the Big Dream.

I also love Fly From Here.  Best thing since Drama.  That being said, the week link in Yes these days is Geoff Downes.  He's okay on the Drama stuff, but is woefully inadequate on imitating Wakeman...especially Awaken.  

Jon Davison is pretty amazing, but Yes shows are boring as hell these days.  Everything is so slow.  Jon and Jon is an intriguing proposition.  Sharing vocals etc.  

I would love to see Squire, Wakeman, Howe, Anderson, White and Davison in the studio with a good producer that would reel in the band's eccentricities and assure a warmly mixed and mastered album (this is what's been missing from prog since 1980, IMO).  Then do a series of residencies in London, LA and New York.  Maybe do full albums and have Dean stage props.  Maybe even revisit some 80s-90s Yes music and rearrange for a leaner more succinct presentation.  Keep the band healthy, happy and creative.  Also, bring in additional musicians to fill in the sound as needed.  Good musicians, not heritage like Downes.   

If these bands want to stay on the road, they need to play to their strengths.  Another band that could do this is Rush.  Come out and do an instrumental medley of the old tunes everyone wants to hear.  Maybe bring in a guest vocalist to do the singing.  Don't play as long and play residencies.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:57
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

Jon Anderson is still a gifted composer/songwriter with heaps of creativity within. He doesn't need Yes, Who has dried up long ago and has become a bloated parody of itself. I say, Jon, surround yourself with new talent and form a new vehicle to fuel your artistry. 

I hate to say that but I'm not going to dispute it ,but then again, Jon isn't doing anything all that fresh and interesting, either.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 15:58
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I love Yes - I love almost everything they've done - regardless of who is on vocals - but I have been spending time with Olias of Sunhillow lately, and, damn it, I miss his voice in Yes.  Even if the recent 'Fly From Here' was a 4 star album for me (see, fanboy.....Embarrassed) - it probably would've been done differently with Anderson's input, and gained more respect than it does...........
Olias is a journey into a fantastical place, an amazingly ambitious conceptual work conceived and performed by one man - not bad at all for a lead vocalist.....................
Olias of Sunhillow is in my opinion his best, and certainly his most progressive [but not similar to Yes works at all  ]l
.if you are in the right mood this is going to blow you away .Smile

I never understood the love for this album. Yuck.

I'm still trying to appreciate it.
I'm not sure if I ever will.
BTW, I don't like any of Jon A's other solo albums at all, whether it be with Vangelis, or purely solo.  Olias is not an easy album to digest - I've probably listened to it more in the last month than I have in the last 20-odd years I've had the record - something just clicks - and it must be that I'm missing his voice in Yes. 
Benoit put in a lot of hard work and gave nothing but a great performance with his vocals - I haven't heard Davison in Yes yet, but he too has a top, Jon Anderson-like voice.  But Jon Anderson, they're not. 
I doubt J.A. will ever return to Yes, but the Yes-machine will still crank on.  It's only when Rick W returns for the 2639th time and brings his vocal buddy Ashley Holt it may go all pear-shaped.......
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:43
Yes just ain't Yes without him......full stop!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:26
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

How about a petition to get CAN back together instead?

Sadly, Michael Karoli is deceased, so there could never be a complete CAN reunion. 

Personally, I'd like to see GG get back together and record a new album. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:22
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

Jon Anderson is still a gifted composer/songwriter with heaps of creativity within. He doesn't need Yes, Who has dried up long ago and has become a bloated parody of itself. I say, Jon, surround yourself with new talent and form a new vehicle to fuel your artistry. 

Jon has ZERO creativity left..
Beer

He may not have a lot of voice left ... but the creativity is there and he will translate it better as time goes by.

I have not been a YES fan since the last album of theirs I enjoyed ... Relayer ... and when Patrick Moraz was dumped, I lost all respect in YES, and have not bothered since.

Jon is fine, and doesn't need YES anymore! He needs to get his own vision done, like he did before ... and sing it differently, and as I told him when he was around here ... stop trying to sing everything ... do it like a poem, or a rap poem ... or anything else ... add something to that stuff that was not there before ... he stated at me, smiled ... giggled ... and then winked!

The rest of YES ... is about what is all wrong with the rock music world and business in my estimation! I don't even find the music that great!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:21
How about a petition to get CAN back together instead?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:08
I love what Jon Anderson did for '70's Yes, and I love the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe album and Yes' project with the orchestra on tour about a decade ago: that was Jons dream and it was great.

But I wouldn't support the petition. I have the feeling that bringing Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn back in brought some freshness to the band (for however long that remains fresh, I don't know.) Jon wouldn't want long tours anyway and he's happy to work with Rick and do solo stuff, so...
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:02
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I love Yes - I love almost everything they've done - regardless of who is on vocals - but I have been spending time with Olias of Sunhillow lately, and, damn it, I miss his voice in Yes.  Even if the recent 'Fly From Here' was a 4 star album for me (see, fanboy.....Embarrassed) - it probably would've been done differently with Anderson's input, and gained more respect than it does...........
Olias is a journey into a fantastical place, an amazingly ambitious conceptual work conceived and performed by one man - not bad at all for a lead vocalist.....................
Olias of Sunhillow is in my opinion his best, and certainly his most progressive [but not similar to Yes works at all  ]l
.if you are in the right mood this is going to blow you away .Smile

I never understood the love for this album. Yuck.

I'm still trying to appreciate it.
I'm not sure if I ever will.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 13:00
Don't care anymore. There's a better chance of King Crimson reforming for a new album, and Jon joining them on vocals alongside Belew for a performance of Lizard's title track than Jon rejoining Yes.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:45
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

They're probably my least favorite of the original Prog heavyweights but you certainly can't deny Yes (with Jon) produced some genre defining moments in their output during the early 70's. Thereafter alas, the name Yes has become but a franchise sticker over which many tiresome ageing hippys wage media wars for their pension rights. It's irrelevant who the singer is when the band are tantamount to a karaoke machine
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:10
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

No. No. No.  It's in the US Constitution that we have the right to petition our favorite band for a redress of grievances. 

But Yes are from the UK, not the the US

Don't we own the UK?  Tongue

Not that long ago it was the other way around. Smile
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:08
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

No. No. No.  It's in the US Constitution that we have the right to petition our favorite band for a redress of grievances. 

Don't we own the UK?  Tongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:01
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

They're probably my least favorite of the original Prog heavyweights but you certainly can't deny Yes (with Jon) produced some genre defining moments in their output during the early 70's. Thereafter alas, the name Yes has become but a franchise sticker over which many tiresome ageing hippys wage media wars for their pension rights. It's irrelevant who the singer is when the band are tantamount to a karaoke machine (though I thought Fly From Here represented something of a return to form)

I agree with much of this, aside from Ian's comment re least favourite.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:55

rotten hound of the burnie crew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>