Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanterbury Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 14:52
been diggin this stuff more and more recently

quite like some of the more relaxed sets...like gilgameshs second one, and two rainbows daily by hopper and gowan...some unbeatable atmospheres on that last one
Prog in the projeKcts...
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 19:53
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

As for for your accusations that I like `Canterbury' because I think it's `cool' to do so, well that's bulls**t on a stick, because I've never been under the delusions that ANY sort of prog is `cool', nor could I care if it were to be labelled that way or not.

Canterbury and prog have been a twenty year love for me through the variety, musicianship and passion of it's endless players and personalities.

No need to continue the discussion. Can you not see when you are being challenged to take a look at something, instead of reacting emotionally, to something that you did not understand?

This is not about me! It's about what you don't see. And I did not say you were blind, but I suggested that one make an effort to make better sense of that scene ... it's EVEN BETTER, IF YOU DO!

It is about you!! If your gonna make bold, assuming remarks about someone's education is in fact gonna get an ear full. Pedro, there are other ways of asking someone nicely weather you think or not, that they've read and perhaps familiarize with some peace of writing or text. When you choose to assume boldly, as you just did, it'll backfire on you 90%
In my opinion, I think you owe Micheal (Aussie-Byrd-brother) an apology. Gotta be fair man.

Prog on.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 20:06
Oh, don't worry about it, my friend!

I think I'm `One of the Few', to quote Mr Waters, who is not a fan of the vocal tones of Mr Wyatt on those early Soft Machine albums, even though I quite like the music. I think I much prefer the later instrumental period. All I was mentioning was his voice, nothing more, but I'm glad others can appreciate his work on other levels.

Kind of like Professor Frink on the Simpsons playing with that toy mower with the coloured balls in it!

Frink: Mwa-hey, bwa-hai. The compression and expansion of the longitudinal waves cause the erratic oscillation, you can see it there, of the neighbouring particles.

(A little girl attracts Professor Frink's attention.)

Frink: Yes, what is it, what, what is it?

Little Girl: Can I play with it?

Frink: No you can't play with it, you won't enjoy it on as many levels as I do... Mm-hai bw-ha whoa-hoa. The colours, children. Mwa-ha-lee.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 20:50
^ oh that is a brilliant scene. God I love the Simpsons and I have some serious catching up to do. :)

Bah wei ahhhhh ahhh there is work to be done!

Anyway,

To get back to the topic. It's Genesis that rule the canturbury scene for me.
Dreamy poetic albums like Trespass and Foxtrot can't be beat for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 21:03
Also. I know genesis really can't be totally regarded as a canterbury band, but I'm thinking on the level of psyche rock not jazz rock fusion of course cause they're is nothing overly jazzi with genesis. No sir, but maybe Gong would be a more suitable choice. They are very good. The trilogy is pretty cool. I see and hear why so many love it. it's radical and it was music that was incredibly fresh during the late 1960's to early 70's.

Also. I know I may be odd for saying this, but Genesis's watcher of the skies reminds me a lot of that flower power psych rock sound. Maybe it's the sound of the moog in the intro. I don't know.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 21:33
Heh, Genesis are definately not Canterbury in any way, my friend (oh, and that's the eerie Mellotron in the opening of `Watcher'!), but you're spot on about Gong! There's also a 4th and 5th addition to the `Radio Gnome' series, I've got the 5th one `Zero To Infinity' and it's superb!

The later `Pierre Moerlin's Gong', essentially `Shamal' onwards are also mostly superb! More jazz/fusion, ditching the wackly Daevid Allen loopiness, some instrumental albums, some with vocals. My favourite is `Gazeuse!', very cool! I play that one at work a lot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 22:28
^ yeah I can't tell sometimes with the mellotron. It can sound like so many other instruments including the reedus flute, glockenspiel and can mimic an organ as well. Your good friend Tom corrected me once one time where 'creepy music' was the forum topic and I had mentioned as a 6 year old that the ending of strawberry fields has a really creepy flute solo that would freak the living sh*t out of me. Turns out, and tom is right on this, that its not a flute that creeped me out all those years....it's that mimicking mellotron once again that has me stumped. Lol

Thank you for the correction. :)
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 00:50
I saw in a few threads that Camel are sometimes regarded as Canterbury, personally I don't see the slightest resemblance for it.
Just mentioning...Cool
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 01:35
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

I saw in a few threads that Camel are sometimes regarded as Canterbury, personally I don't see the slightest resemblance for it.Just mentioning...Cool

Sagi, I tend to think of Camel as being kind of a `default' Canterbury band, don't know if it's the presence of Richard Sinclair for a while, or more likely those earlier tracks with the fuzzy organ solos? I remember discussing this with Tom Ozric a while back, but I don't recall what answer we ended up with!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 21:03
Camel fits in like Khan does by default......as Aussie Byrd said.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 17:15
Camel's Six Ate is very close to a canterbury song (without words), and is for me the highlight of the band.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 17:34
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Camel's Six Ate is very close to a canterbury song (without words), and is for me the highlight of the band.

Oh, I LOVE that one Pierre! Nice and light-jazzy, so upbeat and lovely!

I really dig those wild fuzz-organs attacks on their album `Mirage'!
IGNEO1991 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 11:28
I have a fascination with EGG. Most people think they are rubbish- but i think the 'Civil Surface' and 'the Polite Force' are amazing- and the former grows on you over a long time- the mixing is terrible, but it is a great record. Mont Campbell, in my view is a very clever man- who wrote pretty much all of the material. He, like Zappa, was influenced considerably by Stravinsky when he wrote a lot of the material and it shows in the writing. Here is an archives clip of 'A visit to Newport Hospital' that i found today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbu6YEjigAk 
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 11:43
Originally posted by IGNEO1991 IGNEO1991 wrote:

I have a fascination with EGG. Most people think they are rubbish-

Really? For those who know them, I wouldn't say so. 
IGNEO1991 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 11:55
'Rubbish' is probably a bad way of putting it- but i think they get overlooked by many, by the likes of Hatfield and Soft Machine. 

Egg's music is less immediate- and takes a lot of time to appreciate in my opinion. They are also a very pivotal /crucial band in forging what we know as the Canterbury sound. For example, the significant Stravinsky influence in the writing, under Mont Campbell, actually went on to influence Dave Stewart's work and keyboard style in National Health etc..
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 11:57
I think they are more kind of...forgotten rather than being thought of as rubbish? Certainly they don't enjoy the `status' in the genre that Caravan, Hatfield, the Softs, etc enjoy! But they left behind three great little studio albums for us to treasure, I think that's pretty cool!

That `Civil Surface' album has really grown on me over the last few months!
IGNEO1991 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 12:03
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I

That `Civil Surface' album has really grown on me over the last few months!

Yes , it is funny- when i first heard this album, i thought it was their worst, but a few years later i think it is their best. Yes people don't like the 'wind quartets', but i think they play a nice role in the overall feel of the album. 

Edited by IGNEO1991 - June 21 2013 at 12:03
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 12:04
I've tried many times but can't get into Egg. I don't think they're rubbish, I just haven't quite learned to appreciate them yet.  Their music is obviously music of substance.  It's just not that "catchy".  They just need more time with me I suppose.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
IGNEO1991 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 12:12
If you have some time (not to flaunt my stuff)- but i made a couple of tracks inspired by National health and Egg- a couple of demos that are ust rough mixes. https://soundcloud.com/ZOPPofficial
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 12:14
Holy, I've been a bit critical of the bands' vocals in the past, especially on the first album. Just a bit flat and forced, really stopped me from enjoying their albums for quite a while.

Igneo1991, I think the biggest complaint I've heard with `Civil' is that the mixing is very strange! Some of the drums and percussion elements are BOOMING over the top of the rest of the instruments! But all the music is good quality so it's easy to stick with it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>