Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rick Wakeman to play with his sons at Gloucester
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRick Wakeman to play with his sons at Gloucester

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 09:40
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I don't know what material he's focussing on these days, but I've recently re-listened to the original 'Journey.......' and 'Myths and Legends.......' after not having spun them for, literally, years, and blow me away, they are just so exciting.  Wakeman has the best mini-moog sound ever Bowdown

I'm still stunned by No Earthly Connection and Criminal Records, too.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 18:42

Yeah - a 'funny Prog facts' thread - great idea Thumbs Up
Oliver W. is nearly as good as his father. On the recent live Yes package 'Live In Lyon', if I wasn't aware that Oliver was on keyboards, I'd swear it was Rick !!
Would be funny to see Rick play whilst intoxicated. It just doesn't work. many have tried, and all have failed Wacko 

'White Rock' has many great tracks. 

'Judas Iscariot' is a fantastic piece indeed - gives 'Awaken' a run for its money. Rick gets the best mini-moog sound out of the lot of 'em.  Maybe it's his playing style.  Dave Stewart is still my 'No.1' keyboardist.

I hope you love 'tales From Topographic Oceans' - I've heard Rick thinks it's a pile of crap........(features some of his best work I think).   

Track 2 of 'The Six Wives......' is a mind-blowing track that just 'cooks' - Alan White is amazing, and the bass-work of Dave Wintour just blows - a rare moment of Rick and band jamming hard !! 

At the time I wasn't sure, but now I do believe Yes should have kept Oliver and not get Geoff Downes back. I would think that Oliver together with Davison could have given Yes the freshness to their writing they so desperatley need. And they could be the base for the new Yes for the next generation. As for Topographic Oceans, well, I do like it, though it's not my favourite Yes ablum; I do love "Revealing Science of God"... but somehow agree with Wakeman that the album would have benefited from not being a double album, and having the rest of the songs made into shorter ones. And yeah, I also love Anne of Cleves, and really like Alan's drumming on it.

Now, about what happened when Wakeman planned his show drunk, as far as I remember it (I must listen to the DVD where he tells his tale in order to start the funny prog facts thread) is: first, he saw one part of the band and told them he would change the opening song for... well whichever. Then he saw another part of the band and told them he would change the opening song... but he told them a different song. Then he the other musicians and told them he would begin with another song. So, three different blocks of musicians started playing something different. And then, well ones though they were mistaken and they tried to change to one of the songs the others were playing, while the other part also changed to another song, and so they went on not being able to settle on any one song for, well, quiet a while. Then, the venue happened to have a church organ, which was somehow concealed beneath the stage and would come out through some mechanism, so Rick wanted to use the oportunity to play "Jane Seymour". The thing is that during the concert, when he tried to get in to play the organ, the mechanism wouldn't work and the organ wouldn't come out, and Rick ended up hurting himself, and when the organ finally came out he was bleeding and wouldn't play anymore. Sorry the story is rather patchy, that's why I needed to check it out again. However, next day, when Rick went to take the plane for the next venue, he saw the review of his show. The critic went with something like he wasn't usually a fan of Rick Wakeman, but that last night's show was an eye opener. It began with a mindblowing pastiche of three of his most known songs and went on praising it. And then, he said the death scene on Jane Seymour was just mindblowing.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 23:48

'White Rock' has many great tracks.

The whole record could suck and I'd still own it for "Ice Run" with its sizzling clavinet line!

I hope you love 'tales From Topographic Oceans' - I've heard Rick thinks it's a pile of crap........(features some of his best work I think).

Great 'Tron, at the very least!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 23:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yes should have kept Oliver and not get Geoff Downes back.

Absolutely. FFH is quite the disappointment the way it is. And the best song happens to be the one with Oliver on it.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 00:27

Not to dis Geoff Downes (he is a very talented player) but his style only worked wonders on 'Drama'.  He did a decent job on 'Fly From Here', but had Oliver been full-time keys-man................wow, I shake to think how exciting Yes could've sounded. 

And on 'Topographic', Rick's keyboard arsenal was put to brilliant use - wonderful Mellotron for sure, mini-moog aplenty, but I really love that Portative Pipe organ he uses on 'The Remembering'.  I think the entire band were surely demonstrating just how great musicians they are.  And, it could've been chopped down a bit in places, but as it is, it is still one of my favourite Yes albums.  But then so is 'Fragile', 'Relayer', 'Drama', and of course 'Yessongs'. 
I have been constantly spinning my 'Journey' LP and it is such a classic.  I've been acquainted with it for about 25 years now, and it just blows me away how exciting it still sounds after all these years - even more so as I have come around to appreciating the finer details and certain facets of the work a lot more now than back then. In a word - remarkable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12