Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson Bass Players
    Posted: May 19 2013 at 12:24
Hi,

Greg Lake

And his inclusion and singing helped make it one of the most important albums for us all!

I am not sure that anyone else would have illustrated the words as well as he did. It made it all very "visual", which to me, the music WAS ... with those lyrics, and this is not something that is seen or discussed, and was influenced by other arts at the time, specially theater, film and literature!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 18:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Lake's bass work on '21st Century Schizoid Man' is quite simply amazing, so I had to give him one more vote (if for no other reason...)

I kind of like better Wetton playing the same song (and of course, having Bruford on drums too doesn't hurt).

I have this amazing version of Schizoid man on one of my old vinyl boots.  After the first guitar solo and before the start-stop section there's like a 2 minute bass & drum duet with just Wetton & Bruford unaccompanied...Wetton is just amazing on this... 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 11:58
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Lake's bass work on '21st Century Schizoid Man' is quite simply amazing, so I had to give him one more vote (if for no other reason...)

I kind of like better Wetton playing the same song (and of course, having Bruford on drums too doesn't hurt).
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 14:51
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 16:52
I've been in a Tony Levin mood recently, so he gets my vote.

But Wetton was also great. These two eras are really hard to compare. Not only were they vastly different, but they both turned out really damn good music.
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:47
I love how this changed from a Levin/Wetton argument to a Cross/Jobson argument LOLLOL
Anyway, I'm going with Boz Burrell because I think he is shamefully underrated as a player, listen to the live stuff during that era of the band, he is holding his own just as much as the other guys. Plus, he sings the title track of Islands so beautifully. 

MY IDOLS
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 13:39
Jobson looked very feminine in the '70s, indeed. Lots of blush and powder. LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 00:01
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I think it was an interview I heard with Ian Anderson who said Jobson was an odd bird who wouldn't go on stage until he completed his make-up.  I don't think make-up and King Crimson really go together LOL

Hah - make-up and KC go together about as well as make-up and JT. Although I do believe John Evan applied a bit at the Too Old to Rock & Roll Too Young to Die stage. They flirted a bit with glam there.
Gosh - you should see a picture of Jobson inside the gatefold of Roxy Music's live album 'Viva!'.  Ooh, I thought he looked like a chick..............
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 19:01
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I think it was an interview I heard with Ian Anderson who said Jobson was an odd bird who wouldn't go on stage until he completed his make-up.  I don't think make-up and King Crimson really go together LOL

Hah - make-up and KC go together about as well as make-up and JT. Although I do believe John Evan applied a bit at the Too Old to Rock & Roll Too Young to Die stage. They flirted a bit with glam there.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 17:08
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yeah, I remember reading something about Fripp and Wetton agreeing that Cross was the weak link in that formation of King Crimson, which led to Fripp kicking Cross out for the Red album (I still think I might have liked that album better if they had kept him as part of the band). And indeed there's some charm to his violin parts in Crimson that I really like... he was rather unorthodox I guess.
Jobson may have been too perfect........

Who knows, perhaps it would have been nice if he had come into King Crimson... perhaps him and Mel Collins (or was it McDonald the one who almost came back to the band?). However, it didn't happen. Wasn't Jobson part of "UK"... perhaps I should get that album...
Jobson was *fantastic* in U.K. - and so was Wetton.  All 3 albums are worthwhile.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 06:56
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Voted for Wetton as his visceral yet eloquent aggression (texturally and musically speaking) was a real departure from that previously. It's often hard to reconcile something like Islands or Poseidon as being from the same band that recorded the Larks, Starless, Red trilogy.
Yeah - in fact, King Crimson was effectually a different band each time falling under the same name......
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 06:13
Voted for Wetton as his visceral yet eloquent aggression (texturally and musically speaking) was a real departure from that previously. It's often hard to reconcile something like Islands or Poseidon as being from the same band that recorded the Larks, Starless, Red trilogy.

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 18 2013 at 06:14
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 00:12

Yeah, I remember reading something about Fripp and Wetton agreeing that Cross was the weak link in that formation of King Crimson, which led to Fripp kicking Cross out for the Red album (I still think I might have liked that album better if they had kept him as part of the band). And indeed there's some charm to his violin parts in Crimson that I really like... he was rather unorthodox I guess.

Who knows, perhaps it would have been nice if he had come into King Crimson... perhaps him and Mel Collins (or was it McDonald the one who almost came back to the band?). However, it didn't happen. Wasn't Jobson part of "UK"... perhaps I should get that album...
Jobson was *fantastic* in U.K. - and so was Wetton.  All 3 albums are worthwhile.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 18:58

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 00:36

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 21:35
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 00:51
Eddie Jobson was more technically proficient than David Cross - however, Cross had a touch more 'charm' in his playing.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 20:35
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Yeah, I guess it's just about the same version that appears on USA. However, as I just happened to write about a few posts ago, the album I actually have is "Collectible King Crimson Vol 1", which includes the same concert from USA, but without overdubs nor edits (on USA the David Cross is overdubbed by some other violin player, while on Collectible it is Cross who you can hear playing). And indeed, I love the version of Schizoid Man from Collectible King Crimson.
"Some other guy" / "Some other violin player" = Eddie Jobson ViolinI hate to say it, and it's not really fair, but Jobson's overdubbed version of Larks' Tongues Pt 2 on USA is miles beyond the untouched Cross version.

Now you're going to make me want to check out the USA version of that concert, and I'm really happy thinking that I don't need USA because I already have the more faithful version of the concert
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 19:57

Yeah, I guess it's just about the same version that appears on USA. However, as I just happened to write about a few posts ago, the album I actually have is "Collectible King Crimson Vol 1", which includes the same concert from USA, but without overdubs nor edits (on USA the David Cross is overdubbed by some other violin player, while on Collectible it is Cross who you can hear playing). And indeed, I love the version of Schizoid Man from Collectible King Crimson.

"Some other guy" / "Some other violin player" = Eddie Jobson Violin
I hate to say it, and it's not really fair, but Jobson's overdubbed version of Larks' Tongues Pt 2 on USA is miles beyond the untouched Cross version.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 19:35

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Lake for 21st Century Schizoid Man . He was never better and arguably one of KIng Crimson's best tracks as well.
I like much better the bass on the version they played of that song with Wetton.

never heard that version . where does it come from?

There's a version on the 'U.S.A. Live' album.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>