The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 117>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 14:47
Very sad news about Brian, and I had not realized how rough things were for him.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 14:38
^Yes...I recall that running video clip now....very strange and funny.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 14:28
I believe I read the account was closed?
Here is what his posts show now

And as a final tribute (I just love this). Anyone know if he created it?

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 13:27
I'll also say RIP to Brian aka Slartibartfast...I recall him posting in the past ,but for some reason he does not come up on the member list here when you search his name.
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 13:04
Not me. I loved the Montivani strings in The long And Winding Road.

Edited by SteveG - January 17 2021 at 13:10
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 12:46
You have to separate the man from his art. I never liked him as an individual but I can't deny the contribution to the recording arts that he provided. That said, I absolutely prefer Let It Be...Naked to the original version. I find it allows the band to be heard rather than buried in the "Wall of Sound". A better use of this process was evident in many other artist but not the Beatles IMHO.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 12:15
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Phil Spector RIP.

I never liked him.

Neither did I, but all recording engineers, record producers and artists like Brian Wilson owed him an incalculable debt.

Edited by SteveG - January 17 2021 at 12:28
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 12:02

Phil Spector RIP.

I never liked him.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:36
Rip Phil Spector, revolutionary for development of wall of sound.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:13

Phil Spector RIP.

Yes...RIP
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:13
Brian occasionally mentioned that he was homeless here, but he never went into detail. However, I was his friend on Facebook, and his plight was one of the few reasons that kept me using this "antisocial" medium, as I like to call it. He posted detailed updates of what was going on with him, and I and another handful of people tried to give him encouragement, and show that we cared about what was going on with him. Those updates were often hard to read. He had lost everything, and was not in good health (besides his drinking problem), but tried to stay hopeful.

When he finally found a job at one of the Amazon fulfillment centres, we believed things were looking up for him. Unfortunately, he was fired from that job just as he was about to finally enter transitional housing, after over a year of homelessness. In one of his last updates (the one Olav posted a few pages back), he admitted he'd relapsed into drinking after being fired. His last post on FB was at the end of October. Then, silence. His brother, who learned about Brian's passing just last week, does not now when or how he died, but he suspects it happened some time in December.

As I said before, whatever his shortcomings, Brian did not deserve what happened to him. I hope those people who contributed to his demise can sleep at night. I surely wouldn't. For me, one more reason not to shop on Amazon.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 11:09
Phil Spector RIP.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:58
^ Not a dumb question at all, but his tragic death was first mentioned here recently. His alias on here was Slartibartfast and he was liked or loved (leastways not hated) by all of us here; at least by the ones who have (thus far) reacted to the sad news.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:57
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but who was this Brian? What was his alias?

Brian posted here as Slartibartfast. He was an extremely funny and knowledgeable poster, a longstanding collaborator on the site. Brian was very well liked.

However, he had some deep personal issues. I only really found out about these latterly, but some good friends of his, such as Micky and Raff, were aware. It just goes to show that no matter how well you think you know people as online friends, you never really know the person behind the keyboard.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Definitely bizarre but technically brilliant music producer Phil Spector has died. Known for his "wall of sound", Spector was as loathsome on a personal level as well as smart in his producing techniques.

Just about the finest obituary I have seen in quite some time. Sums the man up precisely.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:28
Sorry for asking a dumb question, but who was this Brian? What was his alias?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 09:35
Definitely bizarre but technically brilliant music producer Phil Spector has died. Known for his "wall of sound", Spector was as loathsome on a personal level as well as smart in his producing techniques.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 20:18
The cellist David Darling who recorded on the ECM label passed away on January 8th. RIP. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 17 2021 at 11:44
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 12:30
I only knew Brian from interacting on the forum but I'm very saddened to read about his passing and what he went through. He was so humorous and knowledgeable, reading him always put me in a good mood. I was always amazed by how methodical he was with his record collection.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 12:08
RIP Brian (Slarti). Enjoyed his posts and seeing what he is listening to. Only a couple years older than me. Much too young.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 117>