Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 118>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 15:41
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Heartbroken by the news of Brian's passing, though I cannot say I am surprised. Though I'm hardly ever on FB these days (I deactivated my account a few weeks ago), I saw he hadn't posted for a long time, and immediately feared the worst.

Here at home, on the desk we keep beside the front door, I have the card I sent him for Christmas at the end of 2019, which came back as undeliverable. I occasionally sent him money when he needed help, and tried to cheer him up when I was still active on FB. However, he was dogged by bad luck, which didn't help him with his addiction problems. He lost his house in 2019 after 24 years of living there, and everything went downhill from there. Knowing what he went through, I can't help thinking of Martin Luther King's words, "Free at last". He was in his mid-50's - way too early to die Cry. RIP Brian, my friend... I'm sorry I could not do more to help you.

The worst should be, having to be homeless at such an age. Gone too soon, sure; but also gone to the streets too old... Should be very hard to get used to such a life in your mid-50s. I'm hearing that the homelessness issue became a bigger disaster during Trump's "reign" in the US.

Beyond sad... What can I say. Unhappy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 15:43
It appears he has now been removed from the PA members list which was probably the right thing to do. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 14 2021 at 15:44
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 15:44
I imagine it would have been so hard for him to reach out and ask for help.   I surely would have helped him had I known, but I suppose he wasn't a complainer or borrower .

Great guy.   Buy, buddy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 15:50
I'm saddened to hear of this. I always liked him a lot

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 17:24
RIP to Slarti of course.Ouch

=============

As bad news never come alone , along with Tim BogertCry, The Trees' singer Celia Humphris also passed away in the recent days. ClapOuchClapOuch

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 18:11
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Heartbroken by the news of Brian's passing, though I cannot say I am surprised. Though I'm hardly ever on FB these days (I deactivated my account a few weeks ago), I saw he hadn't posted for a long time, and immediately feared the worst.

Here at home, on the desk we keep beside the front door, I have the card I sent him for Christmas at the end of 2019, which came back as undeliverable. I occasionally sent him money when he needed help, and tried to cheer him up when I was still active on FB. However, he was dogged by bad luck, which didn't help him with his addiction problems. He lost his house in 2019 after 24 years of living there, and everything went downhill from there. Knowing what he went through, I can't help thinking of Martin Luther King's words, "Free at last". He was in his mid-50's - way too early to die Cry. RIP Brian, my friend... I'm sorry I could not do more to help you.

Very, very sad. Always liked to read him. Cry 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 18:24
RIP , Brian , you will never be forgotten. You have a home with us. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 22:45
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Yeah, I found out via Facebook. His posts stopped in late October, and while his online presence was a bit so and so after he became homeless and the gracious US health system gave him the liberty of living on the streets, he rarely was offline for a long period of time.

One of my good personal friends in the US did some digging, and found out that he had been discovered dead. If it was by natural means, due to a criminal offense or just the body giving up after a hard time enjoying the relative luxury of a constant outdoor life is unknown.

As he was a homeless person, the authorities in the US don't give a damn about the how's and why's.

Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

PA user Slartibartfast, who was active in here for many years and with the PA status Prog Reviewer, passed away a couple of months ago.
What?!? Unbelievable ... Cry
You've got to know via fb, don't you Olav?

RIP Brian Cry
Thanks Olav. And very sorry to hear the current disparate society in US ... his life might be robbed out.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 02:14
RIP Slarti.

Cry
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 06:40
RIP to ever upbeat and humorous Slarti. He shall be always rememberd for the humor i brought to the forum and hes good reviews
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 06:50
Wait...what? Slarti passed? That is eminently sad, and another reason to put 2020 behind us as a dreadful year all the way around. His cheerful posts and love of music will be missed.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:07
Useless, but what about saying him "goodbye" by putting his last photo where is currently Arjen Lucassen? At least for few weeks.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:30
I can't believe it ... 😔

Without having known him besides as a fellow user & prog-lover... it really pains!   😭 😭 😭

I value his transparency at having his picture as profile...  he seemed such a good chap! ...and fellow guitarist. Not to mention his sense of humor and positive energy with his t-shirt full of color.

I'd wish we could've done something to help.

Brian, may you Rest in Peace.

Edited by Machinemessiah - January 15 2021 at 09:01
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:31

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It appears he has now been removed from the PA members list which was probably the right thing to do. 

Don't know... not to discuss it now, but a few thoughts..  maybe leaving it with a special legend: "Beloved member of the ProgArchives community".. one would want to remember him, review his posts, etc.

Also at the birthdays section at the bottom, the profile could be removed from there and it could be created a new section 'Coming Anniversaries'. But yes, those would require changes to the Site.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 10:47
RIP Sylvain Sylvain,  guitarist for the New York Dolls
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 10:48
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

I can't believe it ... 😔

Without having known him besides as a fellow user & prog-lover... it really pains!   😭 😭 😭

I value his transparency at having his picture as profile...  he seemed such a good chap! ...and fellow guitarist. Not to mention his sense of humor and positive energy with his t-shirt full of color.

I'd wish we could've done something to help.

Brian, may you Rest in Peace.

Your post reflects my feelings too..Cry  Very, very sad..

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 12:08
RIP Brian (Slarti). Enjoyed his posts and seeing what he is listening to. Only a couple years older than me. Much too young.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 12:30
I only knew Brian from interacting on the forum but I'm very saddened to read about his passing and what he went through. He was so humorous and knowledgeable, reading him always put me in a good mood. I was always amazed by how methodical he was with his record collection.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 20:18
The cellist David Darling who recorded on the ECM label passed away on January 8th. RIP. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 17 2021 at 11:44
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 09:35
Definitely bizarre but technically brilliant music producer Phil Spector has died. Known for his "wall of sound", Spector was as loathsome on a personal level as well as smart in his producing techniques.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 118>