Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 117>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 08:52
I'm finding myself way more affected by the death of Prince than I expected. Though I was not an avid fan, I always liked him and am totally in awe of his talents. Also, I always secretly thought that he and I would connect because of one extraordinary thing we have in common:  we were both born on June 7, 1958. As a matter of fact, he's the ONLY person I've ever known to share that birth date with me. Always wondered what we might have in common, how our perspectives might align. And now, his death really makes me feel fairly intensely my own mortality . . . . Whoa . . . .
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 08:55
I was listening to Kornheiser on the radio yesterday and some guy drew the parallel between him and Bowie. Well actualy more than that.. he called him the American Bowie.  Makes one sad in a way that Bowie had a final say.. artistically.. and Prince obviously didn't.  One wonders what he would have done, how we would have expressed himself.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 18:14
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I'm finding myself way more affected by the death of Prince than I expected. Though I was not an avid fan, I always liked him and am totally in awe of his talents. Also, I always secretly thought that he and I would connect because of one extraordinary thing we have in common:  we were both born on June 7, 1958. As a matter of fact, he's the ONLY person I've ever known to share that birth date with me. Always wondered what we might have in common, how our perspectives might align. And now, his death really makes me feel fairly intensely my own mortality . . . . Whoa . . . .

How cool to share a birthday!  I've been more affected than I expected too Drew.  Maybe for different reasons.  Since he grew up near me and lived in this city he was always a presence and we all took him for granted.  Not being the kind of music I go for usually, I never dived much into it beyond the surface, I figured I could do so anytime, what's the rush?   Wasn't expecting him to go so soon. 

I've never felt the city as affected as they are by this one.  People don't want to let him go.  He was very good to the fans and people around here are just crushed. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 13:31
Papa Wemba has died, apparently on stage last night. He was only 66.

Prog fans will, of course, especially remember his work with Peter Gabriel.

RIP.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 14:13
^ Another big loss, he was a massive figure in the whole afrobeat scene with his brilliant and modern take on Congolese rumble called soukous, lots of great work with Zaiko Langa Langa and Gabriel, plus solo material.

RIP
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 00:49
RIP Billy Paul (81) fomaous for songs like " Me and Mrs Jones"

Edited by Icarium - April 25 2016 at 03:50
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 09:21
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I can imagine this song being really suitable to be covered slighly like the original but stretched out in a post rock version
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 18:53
I don't know what the deal is with all these superstars dying lately. But I have my suspicions:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 20:19
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Beer now THAT is a song made for dancing if you know what I mean.

I'm sure tonight thousands... maybe hundreds thousands of adults conceived to that song are raising their drinks in honor of him and that incredible song. Someone on NPR today called it.. THE greatest love song ever written.  Hard one to say.. a lot of great ones to choose from there.. but there is no doubt that is a top 5 all time songs best suited for dancing. LOL

Edited by micky - April 25 2016 at 20:20
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 16:30
Rest in Peace, Billy Paul.

An essential song for prog listeners:

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 07:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I don't know what the deal is with all these superstars dying lately. But I have my suspicions:

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 07:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

LOL

LOLLOL

and RIP Billy Paul, hope Mrs. Jones is there waiting for you!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 08:04

Quite realistic, given the fact that the name of Keith Richards topped a list of soon-expected deaths sometime during the mid-70's Stern Smile.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 09:33
Guns don't kill people.....2016 does
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 10:20
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Guns don't kill people.....2016 does

LOL
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 14:44
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

Rest in Peace, Billy Paul.

An essential song for prog listeners:

listening to this album now, quite ahead of its tim.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 11:12
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 11:15
always hate seeing this thread get bumped suddenly into the active topics...LOL

you just never know who the next musical icon is that will pass...

rip mr. synth pioneer!
DaleHauskins View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleHauskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 21:09

Tomita was a God among men;and a true musical mind! There is no other musician who created such a complete sonic universe with a single instrument the Moog modular synthesizer.

Mega respect to the master Tomita !!

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/05/08/music/isao-tomita-japanese-pioneer-of-synthesizer-music-dies-at-84/#.Vy-WJshHanN
http://www.factmag.com/2016/05/08/japanese-synthesizer-pioneer-isao-tomita-dead-at-84/

Ich wünscht Allne Swiss strong and tuff mommies e schönes Muettertag us sonnigs Southern California.
Dale Hauskins
(858) 401-2973
(310) 293-0432
https://artistecard.com/Dalehauskins

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 11:07
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

RIP Isao Tomita, composer and synth pioneer.

Well, crud. I really liked his rendition of Pictures At An Exhibition. Now that I think about it, that's the second keyboardist who did an arrangement of that piece to pass away this year.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 117>