Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 118>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 15:23
Peter Firmin, 89, Co-creator of 'Smallfilms' (with Olivier Postgate who died in 2008) of superb British stop-motion animation for Children (and adults!) in the late 1960's, 1970's and 1980s including Noggin the Nog, the Clangers, Pogle's wood, Ivor the Engine and Bagpuss. ''all Mr Firmin wanted to do 'was to create magic to stimulate kids' minds through his creative vision" & ''A little known hero who filled my childhood with wonder'' & "little oasis of kindness" are just 3 quotes from today.Firmin and Postgate create show

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 15:21
Clive King, Author of 'Stig of the Dump' died today aged 94. Another of my favourite books as a child and one I read to my own children.
Image result for stig of the dump

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 06:13
RIP Nancy Sinatra, she became respectably 101 years of age.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 17:36
Peter Firmin, Clive King.... My childhood is disappearing! You'll be saying Mr Benn's shopkeeper has sold up to John Lewis next!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 21:23
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

RIP Danny Kirwan, guitarist of the original Fleetwood Mac. Then Play On.

Underrated career with Fleetwood Mac (and solo)

I missed his passing probably because I was on vacation at the time, ironically in England.
If I had to name one favourite song from Fleetwood Mac, it would be his "Sands of Time".  It's an emotional salve for me.

Edited by kenethlevine - July 22 2018 at 21:24
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 13:02
This has been a very sad weekend for Polish music... Cry
This morning, after a battle with cancer, passed away a legendary Polish Jazz musician - trumpeter Tomasz Stańko (aged 76). Just a day after passing of another icon of Polish popular music, a Rock/Pop vocalist, lyricist, poet Kora (67, of the band Maanam) who may not be known to You but she was really adored here. She also lost her battle against cancer.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 17:05
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

RIP Danny Kirwan, guitarist of the original Fleetwood Mac. Then Play On.

Underrated career with Fleetwood Mac (and solo)

I missed his passing probably because I was on vacation at the time, ironically in England.
If I had to name one favourite song from Fleetwood Mac, it would be his "Sands of Time".  It's an emotional salve for me.

yeah that was a sad loss...

and my #2 alltime favorite Mac song Ken...Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:57
Claudio Lolli, Italian singer-songwriter with at least a couple of album, that could qualify him on RPI or JR/F, died today at 68. In 2017 he won the "Targa Tenco" prize as best Italian album of the year with a crowdfunded album "Il Grande Freddo".

He has been one of the most important artists in the independent circuit of the '70s after he left EMI.
His music, especially in his first 3 albums was more focused on lyrics with strong political contents. His masterpiece "Ho Visto Anche Degli Zingari Felici" may be of interest for progheads.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 11:08
RiP Kofi Annan
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 08:16
R.I.P to vocalist/flautist Claudio Canali of legendary Italian prog-rockers Biglietto per L'Inferno.

He left behind one hell of an RPI classic, a long-unreleased follow-up coming out two decades later and some sublime and exquisite comeback albums with a re-worked modern version of the group.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 16:17
RIP Burt Reynolds
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 17:36
^ A funny man who started as a Brando lookalike and came into his own as a comic actor.   Bit of an assh*le but always good onscreen.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 18:17
ahh man...  that sucks..

RIP Burt.. you ruled your day man...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 18:53
Bo "Bandit" Darville and Cletus "Snowman" Snow are back in action and about to embark on a beer run that will make their previous exploits look like warm-ups for the X Games!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 19:05
sing it Burt!!!!  

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 15:52
Image result for johnny kingdom
RIP Johnny Kingdom

Johnny Kingdom was born and bred on the edge of Exmoor and worked as a gravedigger, a quarryman and a lumberjack until an accident whilst out logging. Reputedly a poacher who had a revelation an set down his rifle and picked up a camera vowing to only 'shoot' wildlife on film from then onwards.

He then began making wildlife films and in 2006 his first series on BBC 2, A Year On Exmoor, was watched by more than three million people. His passion for the nature of the West country, Exmoor and North Devon in particular shone out and inspired many.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 16:16
Bill Daily...when comedy was comedy. 

Thanks for so many afternoons after school, laying on the floor of the rec room watching Major Healy.  A relatively minor actor but we loved him. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 16:18
^ Aw, I liked him.   Always good as Bob Newhart's neighbor too.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 16:20
Yep David..def seemed like the type of guy it would be fun to have a drink with. 
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 09:56
Danny Kirwan June 8. Peter Green partner featured most on Then Play On.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 118>