Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RIP thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 118>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 16:24
The former Chief Rabbi of Great Britain, Jonathan Sacks, has died, aged 72, of cancer.

An inspirational man, a great writer, broadcaster, someone with about the finest mind on God’s earth.

I am deeply in mourning tonight. 

Peace be with him.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 18:23
RIP Rabbi Sacks. May his memory be a blessing for all who knew him.

Edited by SteveG - November 07 2020 at 18:25
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 13:45
Surprised no-one has mentioned Ken Hensley yet, organist for Uriah Heep back in the 70s.
Died last Wednesday aged 75.
One of best heavy rock keyboard players of the era.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 13:54
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

Surprised no-one has mentioned Ken Hensley yet, organist for Uriah Heep back in the 70s.
Died last Wednesday aged 75.
One of best heavy rock keyboard players of the era.

timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 14:55
Thanks Christi, I missed that thread.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 15:33
Alex Trebek, host of Jeopardy dies at 80 after a battle with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Kept working til the bitter end.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 15:58
Wow! RIP Alex.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 16:55
RIP Alex Trebek. Unhappy

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 08 2020 at 18:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 22:30
Really sad about Alex Trebek.....I'm a huge Jeopardy fan, he was the best.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 22:57
I love playing along with the trivia, but the banter Alex had with the contestants was the true staple of the show. Will be hard to get used to watching it without him.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 06:21
RIP to Viola Smith, American drummer known as the "female Gene Krupa" who passed away on October 21 at the age of 107. She's also notable for using tom-toms at shoulder height on both sides of her, something I'm not aware of any other drummer doing.

Edited by progaardvark - November 10 2020 at 06:22
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 06:31
^ Omg, 107! At least she had a long life. Rest in peace to Viola.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 04:59
With all the election goings on I completely missed this one.  One of my favorite British (comedic) actors   Geoffrey Palmer passed away on November 5.  I'm guessing he was mostly known for the British television show 'As Time Goes By'.  I thought he was perfect in that show (even though I live in Pennsylvania).  R.I.P.

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 05:28
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

With all the election goings on I completely missed this one.  One of my favorite British (comedic) actors   Geoffrey Palmer passed away on November 5.  I'm guessing he was mostly known for the British television show 'As Time Goes By'.  I thought he was perfect in that show (even though I live in Pennsylvania).  R.I.P.

He really made his name on UK TV with 'Butterflies', a great show, that also introduces Nicholas Lyndhurst to the world
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 09:32
Tony Hooper - Strawbs. RIP.

Rick Wakeman on Twitter:

"Just heard the sad news that Tony Hooper the joint founder of Strawbs alongside Dave Cousins has sadly passed away . I have so many great memories of being part of the unique line-up that included Dave Cousins, Richard Hudson and John Ford."

Tony was featured on the albums Strawbs, Dragonfly, Just A Collection Of Antiques and Curios, From The Witchwood and Grave New World.

Edited by SteveG - November 19 2020 at 09:35
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 13:41
Very sad to hear Tony Hooper - founding member of Strawbs - has passed away. Suffering from oral cancer but apparently he seems to have caught Covid-19 in hospital. Those earlier folk-rock albums were truly beautiful and Tony had a lovely singing voice. Another hero checks out this awful year 😥
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 15:01
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Very sad to hear Tony Hooper - founding member of Strawbs - has passed away. Suffering from oral cancer but apparently he seems to have caught Covid-19 in hospital. Those earlier folk-rock albums were truly beautiful and Tony had a lovely singing voice. Another hero checks out this awful year 😥

Really sad news, those albums are beautiful and he was a key element of that sound. RIP Tony

Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 15:08
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

RIP Gordon Haskell, former lead singer and bassist for King Crimson on their albums Lizard and In the Wake of Poseidon.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 19:12
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Really sad news, those albums are beautiful and he was a key element of that sound. RIP Tony

very sad.  I never saw him during the Strawbs heyday but he was part of a reformed lineup that toured from the mid 80s to the early 90s and I saw him twice then.  With Dave Lambert not yet returned to the fold, we were treated to Tony Hooper's take on "The Winter Long" portion of "Autumn".

RIP Tony
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 19:16

In addition to the albums Steve mentioned, he was also on the various Sandy Denny and Strawbs recordings as well as "Preserves Uncanned" and "Recollection" (Live)  from the early years, and "Don't Say Goodbye" from 1987, on which he sang "Evergreen" beautifully.  I think he was also  on "Ringing Down the Years" as well but, if he was, he didn't have a lead vocal spot.  And he was still there for the "Access All Areas/Greatest Hits Live" DVD/CD.

Edited by kenethlevine - November 19 2020 at 19:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 118>