Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIan Anderson's voice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 14:04
Ian Anderson has always sounded as if he is suffering from adenoids

Edited by BaldJean - December 23 2016 at 02:13

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 20:19
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Anderson had an operation on his throat in the 1980's. The band's first appearance after this was supporting Marillion at The Garden Party, Milton Keynes Bowl in 1986.

The set was mainly an instrumental one, owing to voice issues. It has clearly never fully recovered, although singer's voices do lose a lot of their range in most cases (even Jon Anderson, whose voice is in remarkable health, has lost some of his range). I just put it down to the ravages of old age and that condition which necessitated surgery.

If he's had an operation, then it's perfectly understandable why he would have issues. Mind, some singers like Klaus Meine got a sort of a 'permanent' throat after operation but he also corrected his technique slightly to make sure it wouldn't blow out again.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 04:55
I've never had a problem with his voice live.  I've seen Tull a bunch of times, in the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s (I've not seen them this decade yet, however)--I saw them at least four times in both the 90s and 00s, and at least six times in both the 70s and 80s.  I wouldn't say that Anderson would be a great vocalist in any arbitrary context, but for Tull I think he's perfect.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 05:03
Sad to know, but it's life's toll, I guess (my late granny would advise a good deal of lemon tea with honey to sweeten the voice - and stop smoking for God's sake!)
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 20:48
I'm listening to some of Ian Anderson's post surgery work (specifically Crest Of A Knave and his solo project Homo Erraticus) and he sounds fine when he's limiting himself to a quieter tone.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 21:19
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

I'm listening to some of Ian Anderson's post surgery work (specifically Crest Of A Knave and his solo project Homo Erraticus) and he sounds fine when he's limiting himself to a quieter tone.

This is what I too observed while watching a 1991 show of his. And that is to be expected. He has basically lost a lot of power, so when, for instance, he gets to the rocking portions of TAAB, he sounds like he's barely able to sing over the instruments. This can happen with age but in his case the decline set in much earlier and was dramatic. If you listen to Jon Anderson's performances of Turn of the century from the same period - 90s - he sounds pretty close to what he managed on the recording. While it starts to become a question of the singer's luck, schedule (too many shows or not) and overall health in his sixties, somebody in his forties wouldn't be too far off his prime.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 21:24
I went to see them during that Crest of a Knave tour and his voice was shaky. I remember noticing how he seemed to rely a lot more on flute solos than usual, which was just fine by me.

Edited by HackettFan - December 23 2016 at 21:24
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123