Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedXTC, Rod Argent, Garfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: XTC, Rod Argent, Garfield
    Posted: April 17 2013 at 21:23
XTC. A glaring omission, IMHO. Could nobody have possibly brought them up until now? They have most certainly influenced artists who are clearly prog, and Colin Moulding has participated in a few tribute albums, and in Billy Sherwood’s Prog Collective. I always thought It Bites had a sound influenced by them, the same unexpected melodic turns. They should at least go into the prog related category, or maybe crossover prog.

Rod Argent. Argent the band is here, but not Rod as a solo artist. His 1978 album Moving Home definitely qualifies, and Red House (1991) follows in much the same vein. Eclectic prog, definitely.

Garfield. Much more obscure, this Canadian outfit, named for the lead singer and songwriter Garfield French. Two albums: Strange Streets (1976, Mercury in the US) and Out There Tonight (1977, Capricorn). They’re both currently available thru Amazon on a single CD from Germany. Eclectic prog or crossover prog.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 03:13
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 04:40
Ah..XTC...that old chesnut.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 04:50
^ great band and yes, I adore them hugely but they don't belong here. Their admission has been debated to death over the years, so just before anyone posts to the effect: yeah... but if A is here already then so should B - (2 wrongs don't make a right) Approve
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 05:15
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ great band and yes, I adore them hugely but they don't belong here. Their admission has been debated to death over the years, so just before anyone posts to the effect: yeah... but if A is here already then so should B - (2 wrongs don't make a right) Approve

I love XTC  but I don't understand their connection to Prog. If anyone would care to explain, I'm listening.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 05:34
^ clever pop music (with a nod to Beatles, Brian Wilson, Ray Davies, David Byrne, Psychedelia, Townshend etc) very innovative and unusual chord progressions, the odd odd time sig, angular chromatic stuff like Travels in Nihilon, Complicated Game, their deconstructed All Along the Watchtower, erm... and a 'Tron on Big Express

.................... (does not Prog make)

Perhaps people are clutching at straws?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 05:53
Regarding Rod Argent... of his solo albums ''Moving Home'' (1978) is described as fusion/art rock while ''Red House'' (1988) is tagged as pop. He has also released an album of classical covers (''Classically Speaking'') and various collaborations. The most interesting of these might be the jazz-funk album he recorded with saxist/flautist Barbara Thompson ''Ghosts'' (1982), and there's 1987's ''Wild Connections'' with Gary Moore and Phil Collins. Then there are four albums with Robert Howes, new age/synthpop stuff. Certainly an eclectic artist but not really Eclectic Prog imo. He has also worked on albums by Tanita Tikaram, Nanci Griffiths, Joshua Kadison etc. Unfortunately there are very few relevant YouTube samples for us to check, I've posted a few but have ignored the classical stuff.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 05:56

^ clever pop music (with a nod to Beatles, Brian Wilson, Ray Davies, David Byrne, Psychedelia, Townshend etc) very innovative and unusual chord progressions, the odd odd time sig, angular chromatic stuff like Travels in Nihilon, Complicated Game, their deconstructed All Along the Watchtower, erm... and a 'Tron on Big Express

All great songs.Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 06:02
^ ^ As a big Argent fan, I was very disappointed by Moving Home. It sounds like a very unsatisfying compromise between jazz inflected soul, rock and (gulp) latin rhythms. I did however enjoy his contribution to the Variations album and he did record a nifty version of one of Satie's piano Gymnopedies

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 18 2013 at 06:03
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 06:15
^Conversely,  I enjoy Moving Home.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 06:21
^ now there's a turnip for the booksWink
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:39
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I love XTC  but I don't understand their connection to Prog. If anyone would care to explain, I'm listening.
I also love XTC, one of the most inventive pop bands ever but they're not prog. I can't even think of enough to justify them as prog-related, not even Dave Gregory and Tin Spirits/Big Big Train.

And why would we want a big fat cat in PA?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 14:52
XTC started off as a new wave band. I would argue that albums such as Apple were avant grade, which used to qualify, but I can see the argument against.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 20:19
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Please note, only one suggestion per thread:

Unless there's some encrypted wording in your band submissions policy, I see nothing about one suggestion per thread. That's after reading it carefully beforehand and rereading it more carefully afterwards.

Thanks for the links to the old threads, BTW.

Edited by AreYouHuman - April 18 2013 at 20:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 20:40

I wholeheartedly agree with your points, and maybe it's just me, but your points combined with mine seem to present a convincing argument for putting XTC in PA.

And how would that be clutching at straws?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 03:19
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Please note, only one suggestion per thread:

Unless there's some encrypted wording in your band submissions policy, I see nothing about one suggestion per thread. That's after reading it carefully beforehand and rereading it more carefully afterwards.

Thanks for the links to the old threads, BTW.

It doesn't specifically say one suggestion per thread but I think it's implied: ''You have two options for submitting a band/artist for inclusion... collect sound samples and other helpful information... as well as your explanation of why this band/artist should be added to ProgArchives.'' You can probably see how confusing things might get with people simultaneously discussing more than one artist.

Regarding the above, it's usual to support your suggestion by including sound samples (e.g. YouTube, bandcamp, soundcloud), helpful information (links to the artists official site, wiki, etc.), and a bio or other background info. You may well have already provided this info via the band submissions gmail address (I don't receive that info myself) but it's more common for members to simply post their suggestions in this part of the forum. it may take us a few days to get around to your suggestion but it will be addressed.

Also, when you search for old threads, be sure to change the ''find posts'' search filter to include ''any date'' and ''older posts'' and the ''display results as'' filter to ''topics''... you should be able to find those old threads now.

Oh, and I should have said earlier... welcome to PA and thanks for your contributions! Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 03:34
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with your points, and maybe it's just me, but your points combined with mine seem to present a convincing argument for putting XTC in PA.

And how would that be clutching at straws?

I think you misunderstand me. I DON'T think XTC should be in PA and those traits I listed above can be found in much Prog but don't of themselves qualify anyone as Prog.
Does that make sense?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 04:31
There may be some..tenuous link between XTC and, maybe Prog Related? But a "glaring omission" it ain't.

Having said that,  I'm not against thier inclusion. They have had many supporters including our former Admin, Maani.

Edited by Snow Dog - April 19 2013 at 04:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 23:52

It doesn't specifically say one suggestion per thread but I think it's implied: ''You have two options for submitting a band/artist for inclusion... collect sound samples and other helpful information... as well as your explanation of why this band/artist should be added to ProgArchives.'' You can probably see how confusing things might get with people simultaneously discussing more than one artist.

I get where you're coming from, but I think your meaning could be made clearer there. Just sayin'.

Oh, and I should have said earlier... welcome to PA and thanks for your contributions! Thumbs Up

Thanks, I look forward to contributing more.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 00:08

I think you misunderstand me. I DON'T think XTC should be in PA and those traits I listed above can be found in much Prog but don't of themselves qualify anyone as Prog. Does that make sense?

Honestly, I can't say that it does, but then I'm not running this site. It all goes back to the neverending debate over what qualifies as prog and what doesn't, and in the end it doesn't really matter. I've never cared much for pigeonholing and labeling and categorizing anyway. Everyone should just listen to what he or she considers good music, and I think just about everyone registered at PA already does that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>