Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Band: Best Album - Worst Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 02:00
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

IMO, Marillion's album "Radiation" is great!! It was certainly stellar at the Weekend in Montreal.

Three decent songs, Three Minute Boy, These Chains and Cathedral Wall and the rest of the album below average. I even prefer HIE to Radiation. Did the band play play all of Radiation in Montreal?
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 02:12
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Originally posted by snowsnow snowsnow wrote:

Pink Floyd:
Best: Animals
Worst: Atom Heart Mother
This is a perfect example of my previous post. No such things as absolutes. Snowsnow thinks AHM is PF's worst, I don't, but I respect his opinion and am quite intrigued by it.  What is it that makes AHM your worst album ?

It really was a battle between AHM and A momentary Lapse of Reason.  To my ears the AHM suite is almost unlistenable and I've tried! I agree with the band member (think it was Gilmour) who called it a bit of a mess. The second side of songs has nothing that stands out. People sometimes quote 'If' as being a prelude to DSOTM, but I find it a bit of a dirge - lacking any real melodic quality found on the 1973 classic.  

Fat old sun is hardly inspiring effort. In fact side two of AHM reminds a little of  side one of Meddle, which I think is a little weak,  but at least that album has 'One of these days' to liven things up (not to mention the brilliant Echoes on the other side).

AMLOR, which I think is a poor album, at least has 'Learning to fly' and 'Sorrow' which I think are at least reasonable.

But as you rightly say there are no absolutes - I love albums like Tales and A Passion Play - which aren't always popular!

Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 02:42
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

I'm 51 years old and I haven't got into King Crimson. Is that blasphemy ?

It's probably due to the the fact that none of my close friends were into them either, and therefore I never heard their stuff getting played much.

I'm sure I will check out these goliath's of prog one day - I just don't have much time left after listening to newer bands like Enochian Theory, The Dear Hunter,Seconds Before Landing etc etc

Hey man. You do what you want, but there will come a time where you will really want to explore King Crimson. It's in every hardcore proggers blood to uncover the mastery of that band. Their discography is quite extensive, but starting off with their 1969 debut IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING is an excellent start and it happens to be their very first release. Enjoy Eclectic prog at its finest....when you decide to go there.

Happy progging to you.

Agreed, their first is an excellent starting place. But even if you aren't sold on that one, part of the beauty of the band is their rich variety. Whatever you do, don't listen to just one and assume their entire discography is exactly like that. The 3 I recommend most highly are Lizard, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, and Red. Red is what I condiser the best album ever created in the history of prog, with its final track being the absolute best song.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 02:49
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

It's probably due to the the fact that none of my close friends were into them either, and therefore I never heard their stuff getting played much.

I'm sure I will check out these goliath's of prog one day - I just don't have much time left after listening to newer bands like Enochian Theory, The Dear Hunter,Seconds Before Landing etc etc

Hey man. You do what you want, but there will come a time where you will really want to explore King Crimson. It's in every hardcore proggers blood to uncover the mastery of that band. Their discography is quite extensive, but starting off with their 1969 debut IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING is an excellent start and it happens to be their very first release. Enjoy Eclectic prog at its finest....when you decide to go there.

Happy progging to you.

Agreed, their first is an excellent starting place. But even if you aren't sold on that one, part of the beauty of the band is their rich variety. Whatever you do, don't listen to just one and assume their entire discography is exactly like that. The 3 I recommend most highly are Lizard, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, and Red. Red is what I condiser the best album ever created in the history of prog, with its final track being the absolute best song.

I'm 51 too and until few years ago I was in the same situation: liking few known KC songs a lot but never getting into their discography. The main reeason was that my first approach to the band was an LP borrowed from a friend which I don't remember the title and was too experimental and too few "rock" for a teen like I was.

Now...it's 3 days that when I wake up in the morning for a strange reason I have Starless playing in my mind. Confused

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 02:52
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Happy progging to you.

I'm 51 too and until few years ago I was in the same situation: liking few known KC songs a lot but never getting into their discography. The main reeason was that my first approach to the band was an LP borrowed from a friend which I don't remember the title and was too experimental and too few "rock" for a teen like I was.

Now...it's 3 days that when I wake up in the morning for a strange reason I have Starless playing in my mind. Confused

That, my friend, is nothing to complain about Thumbs Up

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 03:06
Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

King Crimson :

Horror : either Islands or Lizard

this is blasphemy,  lizard is ammaaaazing

Explain how is it blasphemy Stern Smile

irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred or priceless. sounds like blasphemy to me.    
Yup, that's blasphemy alright, well spotted.
Well, sorry for being a blasphemous heretic (LOL) but I still hate those albums, after giving them many, many spins, I parted with them.

You are clearly not a true believer. LOL

I guess I'm not a true belieber either LOL. What Melomaniac said isn't blasphemous in any way Wink

You don't have to like lizard, all I ask is that you recognize it is the most important album in the universe, ever. 

My    Tongue
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

the only sane man View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the only sane man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 07:18
Rush - Moving Pictures (ACE!)......Presto (ARSE!)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 07:44

Not blasphemy, just a passive form of sacrilege .
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:17

Happy progging to you.

Not freaking at all!! Omg how incredible is STARLESS!!? It's unmeasurable really. So important And such a vital part of prog's amazing history.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:20
Starless...Sleepy
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:35

King Crimson :

irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred or priceless. sounds like blasphemy to me.    
Well, sorry for being a blasphemous heretic (LOL) but I still hate those albums, after giving them many, many spins, I parted with them.

I guess I'm not a true belieber either LOL. What Melomaniac said isn't blasphemous in any way Wink

You don't have to like lizard, all I ask is that you recognize it is the most important album in the universe, ever. 

My    Tongue

you can't hide from the truth forever....
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:45

Happy progging to you.

Not freaking at all!! Omg how incredible is STARLESS!!? It's unmeasurable really. So important And such a vital part of prog's amazing history.

I KNOW! Every time I hear it, tears and blown out speakers guaranteed Smile

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:55

^^^ I definitely did switch them. Still Life is in my top 5 albums ever. That's a lot of Rush, Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson it's beating out. Heritage was pretty emotionally flat to me. Don't know if it's their "worst" since I haven't heard every album they've released, but it is my least favorite of the ones I've heard so far. 

Absolutely. STILL LIFE is technical masterpiece. Far better than Heritage...far better!!! Reverse that sh*t!!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 13:02
Originally posted by the only sane man the only sane man wrote:

Rush - Moving Pictures (ACE!)......Presto (ARSE!)

Brilliant just brilliant post. 
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 18:26
Steve Howe/Turbulence-Beginnings
Earthworks/[eponymous]-All Heaven Broke Loose
Jon Anderson/Animation-The More You Know
Patrick Moraz/The Story of i-Future Memories II
Rick Wakeman/Six Wives-Return To The Centre of the Earth

Moody Blues/Days of Future Passed-Octave
Supertramp/Crime of the Century-Indelibly Stamped
Peter Gabriel/[third]-Us
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 23:13

King Crimson :

My    Tongue

What in the world are you talking about?
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 19:06

King Crimson :

<span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small; CURSOR: default" id="hotword" name="hotword">irreverent</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small; CURSOR: default" id="hotword" name="hotword">behavior</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small; CURSOR: default" id="hotword" name="hotword">toward</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small" id="hotword" name="hotword">anything</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small" id="hotword" name="hotword">held</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small" id="hotword" name="hotword">sacred or </span><span style="CURSOR: pointer" id="hotword" name="hotword"><font face="verdana" size="2"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal">priceless. sounds like blasphemy to me. </span></span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small; CURSOR: pointer" name="hotword">   </span>

My    Tongue

Are we attempting some quote-within-a-quote record here? If so, can I be included?   
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 19:17
I guess I'll  do this for some other bands

Rush: Grace Under Pressure - Test For Echo
King Crimson: Larks' Tongues in Aspic - Earthbound
Genesis: The Lamb - Calling all Stations
Yes: Relayer - Big Generator
Camel: Camel - Stationary Traveler
VDGG: H to He - ALT
Gentle Giant: Octopus - Giant for a Day

there... the classics
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 21:34

King Crimson :

<span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small; CURSOR: default" id="hotword" name="hotword">irreverent</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small; CURSOR: default" id="hotword" name="hotword">behavior</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small; CURSOR: default" id="hotword" name="hotword">toward</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small" id="hotword" name="hotword">anything</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small" id="hotword" name="hotword">held</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small"> </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small" id="hotword" name="hotword">sacred or </span><span style="CURSOR: pointer" id="hotword" name="hotword"><font face="verdana" size="2"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal">priceless. sounds like blasphemy to me. </span></span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-FAMILY: verdana; FONT-SIZE: small; CURSOR: pointer" name="hotword">   </span>

My    Tongue

Are we attempting some quote-within-a-quote record here? If so, can I be included?   

depends.... do you know the password?
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 23:13

King Crimson :

My    Tongue

depends.... do you know the password?

I brought booze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 20>