Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas prog actually popular in the 70s??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 23:28
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

Quote Ya, there were also these great independently owned record shops that catered to prog.  Greg Stone either owned - or worked at - one in downtown Los Gatos called "The Galactic Zoo" (where I bought "Pawn Hearts").  In West San Jose you had "The Dedicated Record Collector".  Downtown near San Jose State University was "Underground Records" (where I bought all my King Crimson bootlegs).  And in Sunnyvale near my house was "Phonograph Records".  I rode my 10 speed down one early September Saturday in 1977 and told the guy behind the counter I'd seen some really cool album covers from some band called King Crimson, and asked if he could tell me anything about them.  He get's this evil smile and says, "I'll put something on so you can hear them for yourself"  He then dropped the needle on Fracture and changed my life Thumbs Up   

Wow! This is crazy!  In '94 I moved to San Jose and taught HS there in Campbell steps away from Los Gatos. I lived off Blossom Hill Rd. Sad to say but  by the time I moved there it was a little too late to catch The Galactic Zoo and most of those other stores. All I could do was sit there and listen to great stories from friends about the late 70's and how these record stores had the best Prog. By mid-90's the only stores left for me were Streetlight Records, Big Al's Record Barn, and Rasputin, all on Bascom Ave. Well, there was one other one, Rowes Rare Records which was ok. Maybe we crossed paths at some point! Even if it was the mid-90's when I got there! LOL

Smile
I lived in Campbell and went to Jr High (82-84) in Los Gatos (Rolling Hills).  Wasn't in to prog at the time, though.Tongue
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 23:31
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Quote Ya, there were also these great independently owned record shops that catered to prog.  Greg Stone either owned - or worked at - one in downtown Los Gatos called "The Galactic Zoo" (where I bought "Pawn Hearts").  In West San Jose you had "The Dedicated Record Collector".  Downtown near San Jose State University was "Underground Records" (where I bought all my King Crimson bootlegs).  And in Sunnyvale near my house was "Phonograph Records".  I rode my 10 speed down one early September Saturday in 1977 and told the guy behind the counter I'd seen some really cool album covers from some band called King Crimson, and asked if he could tell me anything about them.  He get's this evil smile and says, "I'll put something on so you can hear them for yourself"  He then dropped the needle on Fracture and changed my life Thumbs Up   

Wow! This is crazy!  In '94 I moved to San Jose and taught HS there in Campbell steps away from Los Gatos. I lived off Blossom Hill Rd. Sad to say but  by the time I moved there it was a little too late to catch The Galactic Zoo and most of those other stores. All I could do was sit there and listen to great stories from friends about the late 70's and how these record stores had the best Prog. By mid-90's the only stores left for me were Streetlight Records, Big Al's Record Barn, and Rasputin, all on Bascom Ave. Well, there was one other one, Rowes Rare Records which was ok. Maybe we crossed paths at some point! Even if it was the mid-90's when I got there! LOL

Smile

We probably did cross paths!  I built up my prog CD collection in a big way in the mid 90's Wink

Streetlight was great in their early days when they were located in that house on Bascom by 280.  They had a guy there named "Stretch" who was a Hawkwind and prog maniac so they always had cool stuff...bought the first 2 IQ albums there.  When they expanded into that huge space down the street and opened up a sister store in Santa Cruz they dropped off on the prog focus.  Rasputin was great and had a massive inventory.  You could wander the aisles for days and not see everything.  Big Al's was a complete vinyl rip off...he priced everything like it was a super rare collectors item no matter how many he had.  I remember seeing 10+ vinyl ELP Works Vol 1 albums listed at $20+ for each one.  I believe Rowe's on Bascom actually merged with Big Al after he shut down the Santa Clara store.

The best prog store in the CD era was "CD Warehouse" in Sunnyvale.  They had a listening station with like 10 CD players/headphone setups...I used to spend hours listening to anything that looked remotely interesting.  They had a great prog section where I bought most of my Ange & Anekdoten albums...ya, they went deep into the Italian, French, Swedish, and German prog scenes.  They even occasionally had prog bootlegs, though they were pricey.  I found a '76 Trick of the Tail tour 2CD boot which was about $60...luckily when I brought it to the counter they let me listen to it first...unfortunately, the sound quality was awful so I had to pass.

The coolest thing CD Warehouse ever did was when Marillion came through town on the "Seasons End" tour.  They played a small club in Santa Clara called The Cabaret on a Thur night, then Fri at 11am Hogarth, Rothery and Trewavis played an acoustic set on this tiny stage in the store.  A few years ago the store changed focus from prog & metal to hip hop & rap for a short time then went out of business.  That's what they get for turning their backs on prog fans Evil Smile

CD Warehouse!  I frequented that from 89-91.  I remember that Marillion show (at the Caberet; didn't know about the other) as well, mostly because I was not yet 21 and could not attend!!Cry

Did you listen to Stone Trek at the time?  That's what got me in to prog.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 23:37
Hey Kati if you're from Mozambique then I'm from Planet Kepler 62. I actually saw ELP at the Saddledome in Calgary Alberta Canada. The promoter had to comp more than half of the tickets in order to make it look like there was an audience. This was '97 or '98 I believe. Shortly thereafter he had to cancel a Yes show because he was afraid that he would lose his shirt. Anybody like Terry Clark, Garth Brooks or KD Lang sell out the Saddledome in less than 20 minutes. I think that Celine  Dead sold it out online in a matter of seconds in the early 2000s. just depends what part of the world and what decade you are in.

ABBA were a great pop band and Agnetha and Anni-Frid were nice to look at. Anni-Frid"s father was an SS officer during WWII. Don't ask me how I know this. 

Edited by Vibrationbaby - August 05 2013 at 23:38
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 23:43
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Hey Kati if you're from Mozambique then I'm from Planet Kepler 62. I actually saw ELP at the Saddledome in Calgary Alberta Canada. The promoter had to comp more than half of the tickets in order to make it look like there was an audience. This was '97 or '98 I believe. Shortly thereafter he had to cancel a Yes show because he was afraid that he would lose his shirt. Anybody like Terry Clark, Garth Brooks or KD Lang sell out the Saddledome in less than 20 minutes. I think that Celine  Dead sold it out online in a matter of seconds in the early 2000s. just depends what part of the world and what decade you are in.
ABBA were a great pop band and Agnetha and Anni-Frid were nice to look at. Anni-Frid"s father was an SS officer during WWII. Don't ask me how I know this. 

hahahaha Vibrationbaby yes I am currently living in Mozambique, BUT PLANET KEPLER sounds interesting tho' I am glad you speak English coz I understand that and also a bit of Klingon but wow I am more interested in your life story really hugs
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 00:34
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

The coolest thing CD Warehouse ever did was when Marillion came through town on the "Seasons End" tour.  They played a small club in Santa Clara called The Cabaret on a Thur night, then Fri at 11am Hogarth, Rothery and Trewavis played an acoustic set on this tiny stage in the store.  A few years ago the store changed focus from prog & metal to hip hop & rap for a short time then went out of business.  That's what they get for turning their backs on prog fans Evil Smile

CD Warehouse!  I frequented that from 89-91.  I remember that Marillion show (at the Caberet; didn't know about the other) as well, mostly because I was not yet 21 and could not attend!!Cry

Did you listen to Stone Trek at the time?  That's what got me in to prog.

Ya, I used to listen to Stone Trek every Sunday night until his show got pulled and he couldn't find a new radio home.  I'd pop a blank cassette in the deck and would be ready to roll.  After many years, I noticed he'd cycle through the same prog classics every few weeks but he still mixed it up with hard to find things and the occaissional live bootleg.  I remember he used to play this amazing Yes boot from 1973 after Tales but just before Wakeman left.  One night he played the super-rare B-side of the Los Endos single and I was lucky enough to have my blank tape ready.  I bet he was personally responsible for getting an absolute ton of people into prog...three cheers for Greg Stone!  Nowadays, youtube has replaced shows like his and you can find the most obscure prog easily...amazing how times have changed for us prog fans!

About 1 year after I saw Marillion at the Cabaret, Steve Hackett played there.  The highlight of the show for me was after the full band played their set, Steve came out alone with a classical guitar and sat on a chair stage center and played unaccompanied for about 20 minutes.  His acoustic album "Bay of Kings" always reminds me of that night.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 06 2013 at 00:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 00:45
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

hahahaha Vibrationbaby yes I am currently living in Mozambique, BUT PLANET KEPLER sounds interesting tho' I am glad you speak English coz I understand that and also a bit of Klingon but wow I am more interested in your life story really hugs

I also speak French but my Klingon is a bit rusty. Where did Klingons learn to speak English? Or for that matter why do they speak English on every planet that the Starship Enterprise has ever warped to?As for my life story well.... you really don't want to know.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 17:05
Prog will always be popular
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 18:27

[QUOTE]
I lived in Campbell and went to Jr High (82-84) in Los Gatos (Rolling Hills).  Wasn't in to prog at the time, though.Tongue

Amazing. I started out teaching at Prospect then ended up at Leigh HS. (Now we're talking late '93, way after your Jr High years). Originally I was living in the Aptos/Santa Cruz area doing these insane M-F commutes via Hwy 17. Eventually moved into Los Gatos/Campbell area and I loved it. I loved Vasona Park! There was a great coffee-house at a place called The PruneYard.

Meantime as a transplant I was doing my best to catch up with the scene with the help from a few friends. It was a crazy first year there what with work and settling in. One of my co-worker/teacher friends was also a  big Prog fanatic and he had this big bag filled with loads of cassette recordings of The Stone Trek Sunday night show! That was my introduction to Stone Trek Hour via cassette recordings! LOL

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 18:47

[QUOTE]

Amazing. I started out teaching at Prospect then ended up at Leigh HS. (Now we're talking late '93, way after your Jr High years). Originally I was living in the Aptos/Santa Cruz area doing these insane M-F commutes via Hwy 17. Eventually moved into Los Gatos/Campbell area and I loved it. I loved Vasona Park! There was a great coffee-house at a place called The PruneYard.

Meantime as a transplant I was doing my best to catch up with the scene with the help from a few friends. It was a crazy first year there what with work and settling in. One of my co-worker/teacher friends was also a  big Prog fanatic and he had this big bag filled with loads of cassette recordings of The Stone Trek Sunday night show! That was my introduction to Stone Trek Hour via cassette recordings! LOL

Smile

Remember Tower Records across the street from The Pruneyard?  It was the place to go for vinyl in the 70's and CD's in the mid 80's to mid 90's.  In fact, Tower was always so insanely busy the residential neighborhood behind them had the Campbell police setup and enforce no parking zones.  Tower always had an outstanding import section with plenty of hard to find prog and shirts and eventually video...they also had a Ticketmaster booth too.  Same with their Mt View store.  Then Rasputin Records opened up a massive storefront just a half block away and did something Tower hadn't tried yet, used CD's.  Tower eventually tried to compete in the used CD biz, but the locals knew you got the best trade in prices from Rasputin, and they eventually crushed Tower out of business.  To add insult to injury, Rasputin then took over the Tower Store in Mt View too Evil Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 20:18
i remember the boxing day sale on Dec 26 in  the Montreal Sam the Record Man. everything was 50 % off. I would go just before Christmas an hide all the German and Japanese imports in the classical section, new age  or Country section so I would know exactly where they were we would line up at 7 in the morning and while everyone was making mad dashes for the rock section I would just saunter up to the third floor and retrieve my stashes. I would have $500 on me and get all these crazy Grobschnitt, Guru Guru, Jane and Amon Duul II albums. One year I got 5 Omega albums which were not only hard to get in Hungary but in Canada I think the regular price back in the late 70s was something like $29 each. I remember getting Gammapolis, Csillagok Utjan, Time Robber and Nem tudom a neved. Thing with the Hungarian Pepita pressings back in the 70s & 80s before the wall went down was that they only pressed them for three years then that was it. I've even got a Japanese Gammapolis pressing that I hauled out of one of the Sam The Record Man boxing day sales.

The best thing about finding prog albums back in the 70s was the thrill of the chase. You appreciated the music so much once you obtained that elusive rarity. These days all you have to do is go on youtube and you can get anything.
Prog ruled back in the 70s.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 20:43
Do you guys that collected prog in the seventies ever remember seeing in a store or hearing on the radio Helmut Koellen's solo album You Won't See Me?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 21:04
 I think it was on EMI Harvest same label as Triumvirat. Never heard it or even saw a copy anywhere. It is rumoured that he committed suicide in his car. 

Wonder what it's going for on eBay?
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 22:14
[/QUOTE]Remember Tower Records across the street from The Pruneyard?  It was the place to go for vinyl in the 70's and CD's in the mid 80's to mid 90's.  In fact, Tower was always so insanely busy the residential neighborhood behind them had the Campbell police setup and enforce no parking zones.  Tower always had an outstanding import section with plenty of hard to find prog and shirts and eventually video...they also had a Ticketmaster booth too.  Same with their Mt View store.  Then Rasputin Records opened up a massive storefront just a half block away and did something Tower hadn't tried yet, used CD's.  Tower eventually tried to compete in the used CD biz, but the locals knew you got the best trade in prices from Rasputin, and they eventually crushed Tower out of business.  To add insult to injury, Rasputin then took over the Tower Store in Mt View too Evil Smile[/QUOTE]

Yes, I loved the place. The routine was Pruneyard coffee first...then off to Tower Records w/coffee in hand. I always kept forgetting the 'no food or drinks allowed!' which they always reminded me! lol! Yes, you're right, it was always packed every time I went there. I remember more than a few times Campbell police were inside the store trying to escort some 'crazy person' out of there screaming he was son of 'Jimi Hendrix!. So there was drama inside the store as well!

Absolutely, Tower had a fantastic import section. It was the best Tower Records I'd ever been to. I never made it to the Mt. View store, but anything prog-related, electronic, or obscure, and I would find it there on CD. I even discovered new stuff by what they were playing over the store speakers as well, like '808 State,' 'Single Gun Theory,' to name a few. Great video selection. It sort of became my one-stop shopping place for gifts like shirts. So when i first heard about "Tower Records going of business," really took me by surprise. To me Tower had always been king since the 70's! It was the end of an era. And the beginning of the used CD phenomena
Yes, Rasputin Records, named after Russia's 'evil monk!' carried out it's evil by crushing Tower Records! And in a big way! I wonder who'll be next! LOL

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 22:23
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Not necessary the word prog, but the moozik genre certainly was, otherwise I cannot imagine why on earth Peter Gabriel would put on a red dress and a fox on his head to stand out like others, to the dismay of his band

He was a crossdresser. He just happened to answer a band's ad for a singer.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 22:26

Absolutely, Tower had a fantastic import section. It was the best Tower Records I'd ever been to. I never made it to the Mt. View store, but anything prog-related, electronic, or obscure, and I would find it there on CD. I even discovered new stuff by what they were playing over the store speakers as well, like '808 State,' 'Single Gun Theory,' to name a few. Great video selection. It sort of became my one-stop shopping place for gifts like shirts. So when i first heard about "Tower Records going of business," really took me by surprise. To me Tower had always been king since the 70's! It was the end of an era. And the beginning of the used CD phenomena

Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. was legendary. They actually had a (gasp) electronic music section (not "Depeche Mode" electronic). Really sad to see that chain go. I made it to one store and the blowout prices they had were pretty mindblowing. The lines at the registers were looong!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 22:44
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Do you guys that collected prog in the seventies ever remember seeing in a store or hearing on the radio Helmut Koellen's solo album You Won't See Me?

Never saw it in a store or heard it on radio.  I don't believe I ever heard Triumvirat on radio either though their albums were always available at the big chains like Tower Records or The Wherehouse.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 22:52
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. was legendary. They actually had a (gasp) electronic music section (not "Depeche Mode" electronic). Really sad to see that chain go. I made it to one store and the blowout prices they had were pretty mindblowing. The lines at the registers were looong!

When Tower began selling/renting videos they carried some great music stuff no one else had.  I bought an ELP video called "Pictures At an Exhibition" which had photos of the band from the '74 Cal Jam performance on the cover but was really a video release of the '71 ELP concert film "Rock and Roll Your Eyes."  Also bought King Crimson's '84 concert film "Live in Japan" there.

Ya, in SF the big Tower Records was on "Columbus and Bay" which I think is near Fisherman's Wharf.  Took a drive up there once and it was really great.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 01:25
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

I just looked and Dr Prog is from Melbourne. No idea what the climate was like there.

Probably the hot-bed of endless prog bands that it is now......

Good old melbourne
I'm in the dirty old west part of St. Albans lol. What part u live at?
There was an idiot troll from Melbourne you might know who had multiple accounts here so he could manipulate the charts and make ill-informed posts - Progmonster2008 his name was, though he was also known as Progman2010, Progologue and Yesthro - we banned him of course, like you do with idiot trolls from Melbourne.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 02:01

Remember Tower Records across the street from The Pruneyard?  It was the place to go for vinyl in the 70's and CD's in the mid 80's to mid 90's.  In fact, Tower was always so insanely busy the residential neighborhood behind them had the Campbell police setup and enforce no parking zones.  Tower always had an outstanding import section with plenty of hard to find prog and shirts and eventually video...they also had a Ticketmaster booth too.  Same with their Mt View store.  Then Rasputin Records opened up a massive storefront just a half block away and did something Tower hadn't tried yet, used CD's.  Tower eventually tried to compete in the used CD biz, but the locals knew you got the best trade in prices from Rasputin, and they eventually crushed Tower out of business.  To add insult to injury, Rasputin then took over the Tower Store in Mt View too Evil Smile[/QUOTE]

Yes, I loved the place. The routine was Pruneyard coffee first...then off to Tower Records w/coffee in hand. I always kept forgetting the 'no food or drinks allowed!' which they always reminded me! lol! Yes, you're right, it was always packed every time I went there. I remember more than a few times Campbell police were inside the store trying to escort some 'crazy person' out of there screaming he was son of 'Jimi Hendrix!. So there was drama inside the store as well!

Yes, Rasputin Records, named after Russia's 'evil monk!' carried out it's evil by crushing Tower Records! And in a big way! I wonder who'll be next! LOL

[/QUOTE]

This sounds like it was a treasure trove. Those days are gone. I always managed to find some long haired freak in the second hand shops in Montreal who would turn me on to obscure freaked out sh*t. And back then it wasn't expensive like on eBay and these collector sites. There was a second hand store in Montreal that would save all the weird sh*t for me before they put it all in the bargain bin just to get rid of it. An example is this album. I think I paid $1.50 for it back in '78 or '79. I can't imagine what it would be going for on the internet.

Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 05:29
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I'm sure every Tower Records on the land was inundated with miles of lines during the stores' final week of close-out or blowout sales! Yeah, for me it was almost (dare I say it!) heart-felt sad because it was a place I'd grown up with. If you were bored or had nothing else to do, there was always Tower to go to. I really thought some big mega-company or corp. was gonna save it or bring it back. But, nothing is forever. Unhappy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>