Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas prog actually popular in the 70s??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 06:22
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

I just looked and Dr Prog is from Melbourne. No idea what the climate was like there.
Probably the hot-bed of endless prog bands that it is now......
Good old melbourne I'm in the dirty old west part of St. Albans lol. What part u live at?

There was an idiot troll from Melbourne you might know who had multiple accounts here so he could manipulate the charts and make ill-informed posts - Progmonster2008 his name was, though he was also known as Progman2010, Progologue and Yesthro - we banned him of course, like you do with idiot trolls from Melbourne.

Cool story bro
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 06:52
Cool my arse. It is extremely uncool.
What?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 07:01

Everyone is so sensitive lol. Harden up
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 07:05

Everyone is so sensitive lol. Harden up
I suggest you refrain from pushing your luck, the ice is thin where you stand.
What?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 08:33
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I think it was on EMI Harvest same label as Triumvirat. Never heard it or even saw a copy anywhere. It is rumoured that he committed suicide in his car. 
Wonder what it's going for on eBay?
I'm not sure. I got my copy (yes, on EMI Harvest) from Craig Moerir's Records on the net.
    And yes, sadly, Koellen committed suicide while in his enclosed garage listening to a cassette of his solo album in his car with the engine turned on on the evening of May 3rd, 1977. A great artist whose life was cut way too short.

Edited by presdoug - August 07 2013 at 08:34
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 08:52
What a waste. I had an air force buddy who committed suicide. 

How much did you pay for the album? Cd or vinyl?

Just listened to a few tracks on youtube.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - August 07 2013 at 08:55
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 16:16
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

When Tower began selling/renting videos they carried some great music stuff no one else had.  I bought an ELP video called "Pictures At an Exhibition" which had photos of the band from the '74 Cal Jam performance on the cover but was really a video release of the '71 ELP concert film "Rock and Roll Your Eyes."  Also bought King Crimson's '84 concert film "Live in Japan" there.

Ya, in SF the big Tower Records was on "Columbus and Bay" which I think is near Fisherman's Wharf.  Took a drive up there once and it was really great.

Oh..How can I forget! Columbus & Bay! Like I said, during the mid-70's I was living in SF attending San Francisco State but even living there was a trek to get there. Yeah, you're right it was way down by the F-Wharf.  There was Grammophone on Polk, but it  was no threat to Tower Records, and it had a boring & stuffy feel to it. Funny years later the Virgin Records Mega-Store opened on Market/Stockton. I never made it there, but that even closed down I think in 2010.

Yeah Tower had great videos, the best. Too bad your ELP video was another concert instead of the Cal Jam. Was it a bootleg? Cause Tower did sneak in a few bootleg videos, here and there, the kind where they just paste some psychedelic pic on the box. I bought one Genesis bootleg '73 concert and it was terrible, no video quality, audio was worse! The box was better to look at! No more bootlegs for me. Did you ever find a '74 Cal Jam video of it? In the final week of Tower Records with everything slashed 1/2 price, I bought "Inside Genesis (1970-1980)" a two DVD set with booklet. It was a critical review of their music album by album, the first disk on the Gabriel years, the second disk the Collins years.

Going back to the title of this thread, if Prog was popular in the 70's; a definite yes. Especially for those of us (lucky) who were there living and experiencing it when it was happening. And here we are in 2013 and its still happening. To all the younger Proggers here, all I can say is yes, we were there when it started, and it was popular and it still is.

Smile

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 18:03
^ absolutely. Well said. Prog is an awesome machine that has a good following.
I'm glad to see that prog Rock magazine sponsor an award show honoring prog legends and new comers to the prog scene. It's beautiful.

I wonder who will win Album of the year? I think it's probably gonna be Wilson's THE RAVEN.
He has a great mix of 70's symphonic prog and modern prog sound elements. I'll be exciting.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 18:13

What a waste. I had an air force buddy who committed suicide. 
How much did you pay for the album? Cd or vinyl?
Just listened to a few tracks on youtube.

I paid $15.00 US, i believe, for an lp copy. It has not appeared anywhere on CD, yet. It almost was remastered to CD along with the Triumvirat catalog in 2002, but EMI Koln were downsizing, and they let go the guy who was pushing for Helmut's solo to be put on CD, and that seems to have been that.
        I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

Edited by presdoug - August 07 2013 at 18:15
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 18:51
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

When Tower began selling/renting videos they carried some great music stuff no one else had.  I bought an ELP video called "Pictures At an Exhibition" which had photos of the band from the '74 Cal Jam performance on the cover but was really a video release of the '71 ELP concert film "Rock and Roll Your Eyes."  Also bought King Crimson's '84 concert film "Live in Japan" there.

Ya, in SF the big Tower Records was on "Columbus and Bay" which I think is near Fisherman's Wharf.  Took a drive up there once and it was really great.

Oh..How can I forget! Columbus & Bay! Like I said, during the mid-70's I was living in SF attending San Francisco State but even living there was a trek to get there. Yeah, you're right it was way down by the F-Wharf.  There was Grammophone on Polk, but it  was no threat to Tower Records, and it had a boring & stuffy feel to it. Funny years later the Virgin Records Mega-Store opened on Market/Stockton. I never made it there, but that even closed down I think in 2010.

Yeah Tower had great videos, the best. Too bad your ELP video was another concert instead of the Cal Jam. Was it a bootleg? Cause Tower did sneak in a few bootleg videos, here and there, the kind where they just paste some psychedelic pic on the box. I bought one Genesis bootleg '73 concert and it was terrible, no video quality, audio was worse! The box was better to look at! No more bootlegs for me. Did you ever find a '74 Cal Jam video of it? In the final week of Tower Records with everything slashed 1/2 price, I bought "Inside Genesis (1970-1980)" a two DVD set with booklet. It was a critical review of their music album by album, the first disk on the Gabriel years, the second disk the Collins years.

Going back to the title of this thread, if Prog was popular in the 70's; a definite yes. Especially for those of us (lucky) who were there living and experiencing it when it was happening. And here we are in 2013 and its still happening. To all the younger Proggers here, all I can say is yes, we were there when it started, and it was popular and it still is.

Smile

ELP's "Rock and Roll Your Eyes" wasn't a bootleg!  It was a VHS dub of an actual concert film that was usually shown at those "midnight movie" kinds of theaters in the 70's - you know, the ones that played "Rocky Horror" every Sat night for 10 years running LOL.  It's basically a live 1970 London performance of "Pictures At An Exhibition" with some irritating and unnecessary animation in place of the band at the worst possible times.  For example, during "The Hut of Baba Yaga" and "The Curse of Baba Yaga" (the most dynamic instrumental sections) that lead up to "The Great Gates of Kiev" the band is entirely obscured by a collage of comic book heroes!  Yes, comic book heroes!  It's absolutely maddening Angry

I did eventually get a copy of the ELP Cal Jam performance.  Remember the Foothill College radio station KFJC?  Every 4 months they would host a massive "record swap" and absolutely fill the cafeteria with vendors selling rare and bootleg vinyl and video.  It was prog heaven!  I had a friend at the time who was a complete Fish/Marillion maniac and he used to find all these incredibly rare 7" singles with alternate covers, etc.  I hit paydirt one trip and found a Crimso '74 boot called "Doctor Diamond" and a Genesis '74 boot called "As Though Emerald City".

Did you ever make it across the bay to do some prog hunting/gathering in Berkeley?  A couple blocks away from the CAL campus, there was an intersection on University (or was it Telegraph?).  On one corner you had Rasputin Records, on the other corner was Amoeba Records, and on the 3rd corner was Cody's Books.  I never knew where to spend my money first!  Cody's was incredible and had an entire section devoted to my fave author HP Lovecraft.  One day I was buying a title called, "Lovecraft's Book" - which was a fictional story that cast HPL as the main character - and the cashier told me that the Wife of the author was working that day!  I hung out and had a great chat with her and while I (of course) never met HPL, I met the Wife of a guy who interviewed HPL's closest friends...Too cool Thumbs Up 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 19:25
I went to the Columbus Tower frequently in the 70s and 80s--  loved it but they had a bad rep of resealing warped or damaged vinyl and selling it as new.   I kinda miss it though, they did have the best selection in the country for new releases.    I also remember picking up Steve Vai's Flexible in '86 at the Sunset Boulevard Tower in L.A.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 20:04

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

I just looked and Dr Prog is from Melbourne. No idea what the climate was like there.
Probably the hot-bed of endless prog bands that it is now......
Good old melbourne I'm in the dirty old west part of St. Albans lol. What part u live at?

There was an idiot troll from Melbourne you might know who had multiple accounts here so he could manipulate the charts and make ill-informed posts - Progmonster2008 his name was, though he was also known as Progman2010, Progologue and Yesthro - we banned him of course, like you do with idiot trolls from Melbourne.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 17:15
I was in high school from 1972 - 1976. We did not use the terms progressive rock or prog rock back then. There were also emerging branches of other rock genres: heavy metal; southern jam bands; the british blues sound to name a few. They were all popular, especially if they toured and generated a buzz. So my best answer to the OPs query is that is was popular, but no more so than the likes of The Allman Brothers Band, Black Sabbath, or Humble Pie. 

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - August 11 2013 at 17:32
"The pointy birds are pointy pointy
Anoint my head anointy nointy"
Steve Martin The Man With Two Brains
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 19:28
Ermm which is probably why there are no 70s Prog bands from Southern Texas.... and so very few from the USA.
What?
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 22:55

Ermm which is probably why there are no 70s Prog bands from Southern Texas.... and so very few from the USA.

FYI:  Here's a poll I started a while back specifically about little known 70's US prog bands...and no, I don't think any of them are from south Texas Wink

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94116

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 11 2013 at 22:56
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 01:02

FYI:  Here's a poll I started a while back specifically about little known 70's US prog bands...and no, I don't think any of them are from south Texas Wink

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94116
QED

Any of those from Southern Texas? (or Texas? or any of the Southern states?)
What?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:35
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I think it was on EMI Harvest same label as Triumvirat. Never heard it or even saw a copy anywhere. It is rumoured that he committed suicide in his car. 
I'm not sure. I got my copy (yes, on EMI Harvest) from Craig Moerir's Records on the net.
    And yes, sadly, Koellen committed suicide while in his enclosed garage listening to a cassette of his solo album in his car with the engine turned on on the evening of May 3rd, 1977. A great artist whose life was cut way too short.

Do we know for sure it was suicide, Doug?  I wonder if he just was distracted, listening to his music, and didn't realize that he was at risk from the exhaust fumes! 

And I agree, his life was much too short.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge of Helmut with all of us!  
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 13:46
I recently discussed this with Doug in another thread, and according to him Köllen was an experienced auto mechaninc, so he probably knew what he was doing.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 15:00
But that's just speculation really. I don't think you're going to sit in your garage with your own music blasting with your car engine running. Unless you're on something. It's really weird when people commit suicide especially when there's no note. Even when there's a note for that matter. Well I can understand why someone like Erwin Rommel committed suicide. Hitler gave him choice. My friend committed suicide over gambling debs. A guy down in Pennsylvania just killed his 8-year old son and then blew ghimself away.. I dunno. I guess we have to let the Sigmund Freuds figure this out.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - August 12 2013 at 15:04
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 15:51
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Do we know for sure it was suicide, Doug?  I wonder if he just was distracted, listening to his music, and didn't realize that he was at risk from the exhaust fumes! 
And I agree, his life was much too short.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge of Helmut with all of us!  
I had sort of wondered about that myself, Chuck. There are pieces to this puzzle that are missing for us. Was there a note, were there indications lending themselves to suicide in his behavior before that terrible night? Maybe the missing pieces are clear for the close family and friends, but we mere fans will never get the full picture. Though it could be an incomplete picture for people who were close to Helmut as well.

Edited by presdoug - August 12 2013 at 15:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 24>