Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Electronic music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Electronic music?
    Posted: April 26 2014 at 03:24
Spiral has 3 great Vangelis classic tracks - the title track , To The Unknown Man and Dervish D. The rest of it not so good.

Direct is a basically a summation of all Vangelis work on one album. I like it a lot although I think there are several better Vangelis albums. Probably the easiest Vangelis album to get into but a long way from his more unique slightly experimental  albums such as Beauborg and Mask. Direct was also his first album that he recorded after his move back to Greece from living in the UK for 10 years or so. A completely new synth keyboard set up although I'm not sure you would really know from listening to it.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 16:31
Originally posted by richardh

Spiral has 3 great Vangelis classic tracks - the title track , To The Unknown Man and Dervish D. The rest of it not so good.
Direct is a basically a summation of all Vangelis work on one album. I like it a lot although I think there are several better Vangelis albums. Probably the easiest Vangelis album to get into but a long way from his more unique slightly experimental  albums such as Beauborg and Mask. Direct was also his first album that he recorded after his move back to Greece from living in the UK for 10 years or so. A completely new synth keyboard set up although I'm not sure you would really know from listening to it.

I remember how much I liked Direct when I first picked it up (on cassette!!!) in '88. I also noticed the track I liked best, "Dial Out," was a "CD Bonus Track." Really nice album, overall.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 16:46

The total cost is $22 for meOuch. Better be worth itWink

Or your money back!

Just listening at the moment. Opening 2 tracks are very similar to those on Firestarter and the 3rd track is clearly come from the Pergamon live album although presumably re-recorded in the studio.

That one and another derivation titled "Church Theme" are sourced from Quichotte/Pergamon, yes.

Just on the 4th track which is very like something off White Eagle. All good so far.
5th track is from Tangram Pt 1 when it becomes peacefull after the energetic mid section
6th track could have been taken from Edgar Froese's solo album Pinnacles. These are very short tracks!
7th track is back to sounding a bit like Tangram although Part 2 this time. 
8th track - another bit Tangram Part 2
9th track is my favourite so far 'Church Theme' , a nice interplay of ideas.

"Sunset Drive," the remix of "Remote Viewing" from Exit, is spectacular, IMO.

Classic TD
10th -  this is very nice , back to that lovely Firestarter type sound
11th track 'Airshaft' is the spookiest so far. Good stuff.
just looking at the liner notes from the inner booklet. This is quite substantial for a release such as this and the writing is actually big enough so you can read it!!
12th track has got a bit of a retro vibe , could almost be Ricochet with those 'flutes'Cool
got wrapped up in the booklet - very pleasingly detailed. Done a good job here. 3.5 for the music and 5 for the packaging!
bit pricey considering its all short tracks but definitely one for those like me who love TD's music 1980 to 1984.

Soundtrack remasters are seldom cheaper than $20-25 shipped, even here. The Warriors (music by Barry DeVorzon) was 19.99, as was the recent remaster of Creepshow (music by John Harrison).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 01:06
I like it so thats the main thing although my credit credit card is getting a real hammering at the momentWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345