Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe fathers of Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Poll Question: Which band would you call the fathers of Prog Metal
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [41.79%]
20 [29.85%]
19 [28.36%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

You are perhaps, I'm just taking the micturition

Na. Not anymore. I am quite tired.

But. I would like to know what you thought of the new DT album and what Pain of Salvation album is at the top of your list? I never really could get into POS because of Gildenlow's voice, however the musicianship of the band is quite good.

May I have your thicket please to into The Theater?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:45

Also. I think a lot of us are doing some heavy peeing on one another on this forum.

I think we call call this discussion golden showers for Prog metal appreciators.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 11:04
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Na. Not anymore. I am quite tired.

But. I would like to know what you thought of the new DT album and what Pain of Salvation album is at the top of your list? I never really could get into POS because of Gildenlow's voice, however the musicianship of the band is quite good.

May I have your thicket please to into The Theater?
Thicket has no sarcastic intent, it is merely another pun-name for a popular band that I like to play with, like Ironing Maiden, Metallicaca, Panteater, Megabreth, Sleigher, Jethro Toe, Marylion, Steve Hillside, Riversnide, My Drying Bride, Nine Inch Heels (not one of mine but I really like it), Squeezy and the Banshees, Took That, The Beatless, Injury and the Blockheads, Simply Dead, Emerson Fitti Paldi, Rick Wokeman, Van der Gruffalo Generator, Soft Mashing. I sometimes deliberately spell Dream Theather as Dream Theatre on purpose because it annoys some DT fans, other times the Safari browser's auto-correcting spellchecker does it for me because I have the UK dictionary invoked and I don't actually notice it's done it. I used Ticket once I believe, but didn't like it as much as Thicket.

I haven't heard anything of the new eponimous album, this is deliberate as I prefer to hear the whole thing in its entiriety on first listen in the comfort of my sitting room after I've purchased the CD, which I haven't done yet. I will do one day as I have bought every DT album for the past xxx years even though they do not impress me anywhere near as much as they did fifteen years ago. It's one of those bands that one day I'll just give up on.

PoS just connect with me in ways that teh techno-flash of Dream Thicket never can, it's not just the musicianship, its the emotion and clarity, it's the lyricism and the compositions. I have always prefered the extreme side of metal to the melodic and european metal to 'mercan metal, I was (and probably still am) a Goth at heart, so the doomier side of things will always appeal more than the screaming woe is me she broke my heart stuff. Opeth, In The Woods..., Katatonia, Green Carnation, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Pain of Salvation - it's a simple equation some of it Prog, some of it not.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:47

Na. Not anymore. I am quite tired. But. I would like to know what you thought of the new DT album and what Pain of Salvation album is at the top of your list? I never really could get into POS because of Gildenlow's voice, however the musicianship of the band is quite good. May I have your thicket please to into The Theater?

Thicket has no sarcastic intent, it is merely another pun-name for a popular band that I like to play with, like Ironing Maiden, Metallicaca, Panteater, Megabreth, Sleigher, Jethro Toe, Marylion, Steve Hillside, Riversnide, My Drying Bride, Nine Inch Heels (not one of mine but I really like it), Squeezy and the Banshees, Took That, The Beatless, Injury and the Blockheads, Simply Dead, Emerson Fitti Paldi, Rick Wokeman, Van der Gruffalo Generator, Soft Mashing. I sometimes deliberately spell Dream Theather as Dream Theatre on purpose because it annoys some DT fans, other times the Safari browser's auto-correcting spellchecker does it for me because I have the UK dictionary invoked and I don't actually notice it's done it. I used Ticket once I believe, but didn't like it as much as Thicket.

I haven't heard anything of the new eponimous album, this is deliberate as I prefer to hear the whole thing in its entiriety on first listen in the comfort of my sitting room after I've purchased the CD, which I haven't done yet. I will do one day as I have bought every DT album for the past xxx years even though they do not impress me anywhere near as much as they did fifteen years ago. It's one of those bands that one day I'll just give up on.

PoS just connect with me in ways that teh techno-flash of Dream Thicket never can, it's not just the musicianship, its the emotion and clarity, it's the lyricism and the compositions. I have always prefered the extreme side of metal to the melodic and european metal to 'mercan metal, I was (and probably still am) a Goth at heart, so the doomier side of things will always appeal more than the screaming woe is me she broke my heart stuff. Opeth, In The Woods..., Katatonia, Green Carnation, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Pain of Salvation - it's a simple equation some of it Prog, some of it not.

Well for record, I still say Metalicaca is my favourite. The Beatless made me laugh as well. Also, I for one did switch to the English (U.K) keyboard as well instead of the American. You are right, it does auto-correct certain words that whcu we were speaking about.
As for European Metal. I do agree with what you said. It carries a far different flavour.
And, POS I'm sure I will revisit more in the future. I did hear some of Remedy Lane and thought it was fathering moving both musically and lyrically. It's got emotion for sure, but as I said Gildenlow's voice is something I just have to get used to. I will do some trail runs with that on the Ayreon album (101-011011) or something like that. Lol
Anyhow. I am goth at heart in most cases as well, especially envolving a more Doom Type sound to the overall Goth Flavouring of the music. Anathema's earlier works are definitely more intriguing to me cause I think that doom side to their sound/vocals works a bit better for me than the ultra emotional piece that is 'Weather Systems.' but, I will say that I did enjoy the emotionally laden Weather Systems. I saw Anathema perform most of that record on the 18th of sept this year in concert. Actually met a nice lady as well...go figure huh? ;)

Anyway. Get 5.1mix edition of the new DT album and enjoy it loud. Myung's bass playing is actually quite heightened with in that sound format. It's lovely. :) Hope you enjoy the album in your own mancave....if you have one. :)
Also. One last thing. DT almost lost me at one point with the releases of Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds and Silver linings. They were starting to scare me a little bit, but DT's last 2 releases have been a nice breath of fresh air.
All in all, I guess Portnoy really did have to go.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 20:42

Mictur....what..?

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 21:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Mictur....what..?

LOL

What? You've never been peed on? Come on. What's wrong with you?   
Golden showers of metal. That's what this forum's name is now.
Enjoy. Peeing is believing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 21:25
Well since some here feel that Metallica are Fatherly material for Prog Metal's inception I just want to ask by way from my very sh*tty seque, did anyone watch the 'Through The Never' Metallica movie?
I'm not gonna lie, it's quite good actually and the films structure is really unique.
Check it out. It's really entertaining.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 01:53

Mictur....what..?

LOL

What? You've never been peed on? Come on. What's wrong with you?   
Golden showers of metal. That's what this forum's name is now.
Enjoy. Peeing is believing.
Wrong idiom.

Taking the micturaton == taking the mick == taking the piss:

Originally posted by wikipedia wikipedia wrote:

Taking the piss is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used to mean (or confused with) taking the piss out of, which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff.[1] It is also not to be confused with "taking a piss", which refers to the act of urinating.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:20

Mictur....what..?

LOL
What? You've never been peed on? Come on. What's wrong with you?    Golden showers of metal. That's what this forum's name is now. Enjoy. Peeing is believing.

Wrong idiom.

Taking the micturaton == taking the mick == taking the piss:

Originally posted by wikipedia wikipedia wrote:

Taking the piss is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used to mean (or confused with) taking the piss out of, which is an [COLOR=#0066cc">expression[/COLOR"> meaning to [COLOR=#0066cc">mock[/COLOR">, tease, [COLOR=#0066cc">ridicule[/COLOR">, or scoff.<SUP id=cite_ref-1 =reference jQuery183044613731391206357="47">[COLOR=#0066cc"><SPAN">[</SPAN">1<SPAN">"></SPAN">[/COLOR"> It is also not to be confused with "taking a piss", which refers to the act of urinating.

Well I just used a joke around that idiom. I do know what the word means truthfully.
I just having some fun...fun Dean...Fun!!! That is all.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:32

Well I just used a joke around that idiom. I do know what the word means truthfully.
I just having some fun...fun Dean...Fun!!! That is all.
I believe you. 

Wink

Edited by Dean - October 01 2013 at 10:32
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:50
On a serious note though. I really do recommend that Metallica: Through athe Never Film.

Most of us here obviously really appreciate and love Metal/Prog metal music in general, so I feel that this maybe an appropriate line of discussion. However, if one really doesn't appreciate or like Metallica's movie I still feel that one can get something out of this film. As stated earlier, it's the film's overall structure that makes it incredibly unique I mean having the main plot line centered around a Metal concert is really interesting and for fans of Metallica, you will truly love it. But also, the movie got me thinking of course where by what other bands would be chosen to be a part of a film like this? Imagine all our favourites like DT, IRON MAIDEN, POS etc what if those bands or whatever favorites you have would be used on film in this manner?
Anyway, a nice strong dipiction of one of the fathers of Prog in this film and a beautiful merriment between music and film. I hope for film's combined with music are done in this manner.
Realistically though, only big budget bands I think can afford to be portrayed in high production mainstream film, but I think MAIDEN and DT have a shot!! :)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 11:03
I mentioned Iron Maiden several pages back because they seem to embody all the points Dean originally raised.
Personally I don't listen to any metal/prog metal except for Rush, and even then I only play a couple of their early ones like Farewell To Kings, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.
I've tried to get into DT, Opeth, and Maiden but they just don't do it for me.
Haquin
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 06:33

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

....I never thought of The Who as 'prog metal'......always thought of them as 'power pop/classic rock'.
I thought of The Who as Rock. 
Entwistle was invented that "metal" bass sound, that's all.

OK...but what exactly is 'metal bass sound'...? And which prog metal bands use that sound?

bingo! Smile

Quote From Bass Player magazine, May 2011;
blasko666.blogspot.se/2011/04/few-months-back-i-interviewed-lemmy.html

Blasko: Your midrange driven tone and hard-hitting pick style is uniquely undisputed. I assume some of the origin comes from your history as a guitar player, but for readers that maybe don’t know can you explain a little about how your style came to be what it is today.

Lemmy: Well as a bass player my idol was always John Entwistle from The Who, and he had this tone too if you remember. A little bit deeper, but still very much the same. They were one of the best bands I have ever heard in my life. But Entwistle didn’t have to cheat ya see, because he didn’t have to sing. He didn’t have to sing and play the bass line as well. But also as you said, like a guitar player, I like to be heard. I don’t like to be mumbling away in the background. You know, I am a front man. I didn’t get into this thing to be not noticed.

Blasko: You have been very loyal to Marshall and Rickenbacker for as long as I can remember. I suppose if it ain’t broken why fix it, but is there any particular reason you gravitated to those companies?

Lemmy: Marshall because I saw The Who using them and they sounded wonderful, and when I was working for Hendrix he was using them as well, and I thought 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Thank you Lemmy!

Edited by Svetonio - April 13 2014 at 06:36
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 08:37
Deep Purple, but before them was Led Zeppelin - had to be a huge influence on prog metal.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 19:23
From the PA page on progressive metal:
"The Origins:
The heavy sound of some of the progressive rock bands of the 70's has been one of the building blocks on which progressive metal was raised. Progressive rock pioneers such as KING CRIMSON and RUSH have often been acclaimed as the main influences of progressive metal bands. The other major influence has been the NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) movement, and especially the twin-guitar arrangements of IRON MAIDEN, which have left their stamp on the early stages of the genre's development."

Interestingly here on PA..... Zep, Sabbath, Queen, etc are listed as Prog related , Rush and Heep as heavy prog, and Deep Purple and The Who as proto prog.
Of the 2 I listed there only Heep and Rush ever seemed like 'progressive rock'  to me though at times deep Purple had a proggy track now and then.
Haquin
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 01:52

From the PA page on progressive metal:
"The Origins:
The heavy sound of some of the progressive rock bands of the 70's has been one of the building blocks on which progressive metal was raised. Progressive rock pioneers such as KING CRIMSON and RUSH have often been acclaimed as the main influences of progressive metal bands. The other major influence has been the NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) movement, and especially the twin-guitar arrangements of IRON MAIDEN, which have left their stamp on the early stages of the genre's development."

Interestingly here on PA..... Zep, Sabbath, Queen, etc are listed as Prog related , Rush and Heep as heavy prog, and Deep Purple and The Who as proto prog.
Of the 2 I listed there only Heep and Rush ever seemed like 'progressive rock'  to me though at times deep Purple had a proggy track now and then.
When I was attended as a 14 yrs old kid at the Uriah Heep concert in Belgrade's "Pionir" arena 1977 (btw that gig was the last one of their world tour),  I wasn't  knew that I attend at "heavy prog" concert - the band was actually one of the biggest hard rock attractions of that era LOL 

Edited by Svetonio - April 14 2014 at 01:56
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 19:57
It's probably been stated essentially thus already in this thread, but Sabbath are not the fathers of "prog metal". They were a 70's heavy metal band with a slight tendency toward expansive composition, which inherently involves a degree of progressive rock influence. Early heavy metal very often (probably the majority of the time, in fact) contained a slight degree of prog influence, but this is different from actual "prog metal" as was later defined by Fates Warning and Dream Theater. Those later bands are a more complete fusion of the fully developed (post-trash) metal and progressive rock.
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 14:40
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Sabbath is a bit confusing.  They became 'just' metal (rather than early/proto-metal) once Dio joined as the frontman.  They tried to go back to their 70s sound with Gillian but thereafter, the Tony Martin albums again stuck to 80s metal.   Sabbath, JP, Scorpions actually became heavier in the 80s (JP were already metal and just crossed over even more to the speed metal side of things) while DP and Rainbow mellowed down a bit.   I don't know much about UFO post Michael Schenker but I guess they too fell over to the hard rock side in the 80s rather than the proto metal of Lights Out?  Another thing about Sabbath is the 70s albums, especially Sabbath Bloody Sabbath/Sabotage were more prog-related while the full on metal albums of the 80s were much more straight up.   I tend to agree with Dean that Dio-Sabbath influenced power metal rather than prog metal.  

I think you should listen to When it's Time to Rock from UFO's Making Contact album (1983).

UFO had huge influence on metal development
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 16:16
Of course i voted Black Sabbath. Speaking of UFO i have only 1 UFO LP in my entire LP collection,that being as might be guessed is Lights Out.I think the track Electric Phase is my favorite song on the album.I can handle UFO,but so far haven't purchased any other UFO Albums yet.

Edited by Kentucky_Hawkwindage - April 29 2014 at 16:17
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 16:26
I have all their output from the debut to Misdemeanor plus Covenant and Sharks from the Schenker reunion years.

The Chapman era (1980 - 1983) is wonderful too even if he's no Micheal Schenker).

A terrific band to discover!

Music is always energetic, dynamic and melodic and the album Obsession from 1978 even features medieval tune and strong symphonic arrengements (as in Looking Out for N. 1).

And Pete Way is a great bassist.

another interesting (of the many) proggy number is The Writer from their Mechanix album (1982).

Edited by Andrea Cortese - April 29 2014 at 16:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>