This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 Electronic Albums From The 90s
    Posted: June 26 2014 at 07:04
FSOL, Orb and Orbital. Most of those are bad.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 08:00
0/20   
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 14:49
^I can definitely recommend that one for the beach. A couple of friends and I were playing that last summer down by a deserted beach, and it was perfect. So perfect that the place stoppes being deserted some 15 minutes into the album.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 14:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Swoop! 
I forgot I'd created this poll up until a few minutes ago...

Anyway, it's summertime again and I seem to be reaching for a lot of these at the moment.

I randomly grabbed a CD for my car today, and it turned out to be The Avalanches' Since I Left You. It was the perfect album for a hot sunny day. The only thing better would be to be at the beach listening to it. I love that album! :-)

Edited by jude111 - June 19 2014 at 14:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 14:06
Swoop! 
I forgot I'd created this poll up until a few minutes ago...

Anyway, it's summertime again and I seem to be reaching for a lot of these at the moment. Screamadelica is one I've played A LOT the last month or so, and I quite honestly never tire of it. So that's where my vote went (even if I think Lifeforms is the best album here and possible one of the greatest modern electronic albums). Only took me a year to make up my mindLOL

Oh and had I made this poll today, I would've listed Orbital's In Sides instead of the brown album. I've fallen head over heels for that oneHeart

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 22:13
KLF and Orbital have better albums. Went with this Orbital.

Used to like Air pretty well.

Edited by King Crimson776 - May 14 2013 at 22:14
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 19:26
Gotta be Music Has the Right. That album changed me. Lots of other goodies here. Prefer Permutation to Bricolage myself, but that's just my opinion. Smile
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 23:24
BOC, but close call with Aphex Twin. Love both albums, but BOC's sound just resonates with me more. Love that warm, nostalgic sound. New album this June! Stoooked
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 08:10
I know virtually all these, and it's a great list Clap.  I'd find it virtually impossible to choose, possibly 76:14, Spanners or MHTRTC.Gudbalmsen, don't know if you've heard any Plaid (2/3 of the original Black Dog), but they are well worth sampling.Blacksword is right about Orbus Terrarum, that is a magnificent album, Orblivion the album after that is very good too.  Orbus Terrarum also features aThe Orb's symphonic prog track Oxbow Lakes.  Just listen, that track is pure prog!!  I'd also highly recommend the recent Baghdad Batteries which is a very welcome return to form for Alex Paterson and co.

Edited by Roj - May 10 2013 at 10:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 07:24
Just remembered, I think that GAS actually would make a fine addition to the prog electronic genre here on PA. They have very strong ties musically with the Berlin school as well as some strangely alluring ambient stuff also strongly hinting back to the early 70s - only it sounds far more modern and futuresque. To my knowledge they seem to be one of the only acts who successfully has revitalised the German way of electronics.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 07:17
It'll be next in line after my Dr John album. Listening to Gris Gris right now, and it seems quite a ways from 90s electronicaLOLPsychedelic avantguarde music and then onto some KLF. Gotta love music.

- Douglas Adams
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 07:10

I am really digging all the new stuff I'm learning in here - thanks a lot folks! 
The way you describe that album Blacksword, sounds positively intriguing to me (and yes I know what you mean by drifty;-)  

If you haven't already check out The KLF chill out, which I posted in the thread earlier. It's very Orb like (Ultraworld era)
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 06:33
Damn that's a cool cover to a folk album!

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 06:29
...and the cover of (Steeleye Span's ) Johnson & Knight's "electric folk" concept album:

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 05:57
I am really digging all the new stuff I'm learning in here - thanks a lot folks! 

The way you describe that album Blacksword, sounds positively intriguing to me (and yes I know what you mean by drifty;-)  

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 10 2013 at 05:58

- Douglas Adams
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 05:53
Jimmy Cauty's role in The Orb and The KLF must make him one of the key figures of such music.

Plus of course, when he was a teenager he drew that famous poster, sales of which later funded the KLF.

rotten hound of the burnie crew
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 05:52

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I cast thee out!! Oh, so blasphemous, Dave! I worship those early PTree versions. To me the real drums robbed them of the loopy/programmed/dance elements that made them so unique in the first place! When I heard the new version, I thought `F**k, Steven, you've totally missed the point of what made them so inventive in the first place' lol! Oh, you are spot on about the Orb being an influence on Senor Wilson, take a listen to stuff like `Voyage 34 - phase 3 and 4' etc.

Oh, man, how good is that third `Portishead' album?! So cold and relentless, very experimental and I even detect quite a Can/Krautrock sound on that one. I love how their two studio albums since `Dummy' have been a total retreat from the `yuppie' crowd.

I haven't listened to that Gilmour/Orb collab all that much yet! Will do so!

Have you heard their album `Orbus Terrerum'? Wow, what a painful harsh and unrelenting mistress that one is. Totally fascinating and worth getting to appreciate, but I have no idea how the dance crowd would have responded to that one. Such a clanging, bleak album. A total monolithic epic.

What can I say, I happen to adore bothEmbarrassed I should have had a similar reaction to them, but I didn't. 
The Portishead/Can connection is something I fully agree upon - in places, particularly on Third, I detect some Faust in those deeply corroding surfaces of sound.
Orbus Terrerum is one I don't have yet, but that is surely something that must be remedied! And yes, you really need to go dig out that Gilmour/Orb album. It is a beauty! Just takes a few spins before it unveils itself, is what I foundSmile

Orbvs Terrarum is highly recommended. After the Ultraworld I think it's their best album. It's very trippy and drifty (if you know what I mean) but unlike it's predecessor the mini album Pomm Fritz, they took the time to really make something good with OT. Pomm Fritz I think was an experiemnt to see how little they could get away with and still sell albums.

Live 93 is also fantastic.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 05:35
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Allegedly? Now what's that supposed to mean?
The Orb will never admit to making any Floyd remixes. Because of that there are dozens of fakes claiming to be by The Orb but are not, most of which are a) teribble and b) nothing like The Orb, unlike this one, which does sound like it could be by Paterson and Cauty.

Ok, I didn't know that. Still after only having listened to it once, I would be surprised if it wasn't an Orb remix(an Orb remix? A The Orb remix?........LOL)

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 05:29

The Orb will never admit to making any Floyd remixes. Because of that there are dozens of fakes claiming to be by The Orb but are not, most of which are a) teribble and b) nothing like The Orb, unlike this one, which does sound like it could be by Paterson and Cauty.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 05:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...allegedly. Wink

I'm listening to this right now - yummy yumBig smile  thanks Dean! 

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>