FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtmospheric CO2 Hits High Milestone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atmospheric CO2 Hits High Milestone
    Posted: May 11 2013 at 14:11
dioxide surpassed a notable milestone this week. 

They reached a daily average above 400 parts per million, reported NOAA, for the first time in human history.

The milestone, hit on May 9, may be symbolic, notes Climate Central, but manmade CO2 emissions from the burning of fossil fuels continue to rise, bringing greater atmospheric warming and exacerbating the effects of climate change. 

Scientists argue we've loaded the "climate dice" in favor of more weather anomalies and extreme heat waves.

Research also shows that continued emissions of long-lived greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide will mean "largely irreversible" climate change for 1,000 years even after we curtail emissions.

"The last time we're confident that CO2 was sustained at these levels is more than 10 million years ago, during the middle of the Miocene period," climate scientist Michael Mann told The Huffington Post in an email. "This was a time when global temperatures were substantially warmer than today, and there was very little ice around anywhere on the planet."

Some links from Green Peace:

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 14:24
While I strongly support environmental issues, there is also one problem which is not so easy to deal with.  And that is the fact that this planet was not meant to support 7+ billion humans on it.  And that number keeps growing at a geometric rate.  Overpopulation of the planet is the biggest environmental disaster and while there may not be much we can do about it, it won't be too long I fear before mother nature does something about it with environmental disasters, plague, famine and so forth to bring the human population back into balance with nature. 

I'm reminded of the early Floyd lyric "And if you survive to 2005, I hope you're exceedingly thin, for if you are stout, you will have to breathe out, while the people around you breathe in".

Edited by The Doctor - May 11 2013 at 14:26
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 14:31
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

And that is the fact that this planet was not meant to support 7+ billion humans on it.

You need to re-think that statement. There are a lot more than 7 billion organisms on Earth. It's what people do that causes issues.
Hail Eris!
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 14:35
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

And that is the fact that this planet was not meant to support 7+ billion humans on it.

You need to re-think that statement. There are a lot more than 7 billion organisms on Earth. It's what people do that causes issues.

You mean like breathing?  Wink  I'm not discounting the factories, cars, etc, but breathing alone pumps a lot of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.  Not to mention that we use up resources faster than the rest of the organisms on the planet combined.  The planet may be able to support trillions of organisms, but not 7+ billion people.  I stand by my original statement.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 14:41
I agree with The Doc that his statement is correct. The planet can support billions of billions of living organisms but not of humans all of who bevave quite parasitically.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 14:45
^ amen, totally agree, this and our affluent way of life
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 14:57
I blame the plants.
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:17
^They are already being executed as we speak.
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:32

You mean like breathing?  Wink  I'm not discounting the factories, cars, etc, but breathing alone pumps a lot of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Total nonsense. You can only produce as much CO2 as carbon in the food you eat. For you to exhale CO2, CO2 must have already been removed from the air.

Not to mention that we use up resources faster than the rest of the organisms on the planet combined.

It is our use of natural resources that is the difference. The planet can support plenty of people, it just can't support us.
Hail Eris!
FLAC View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:34

While I strongly support environmental issues, there is also one problem which is not so easy to deal with.  And that is the fact that this planet was not meant to support 7+ billion humans on it.  And that number keeps growing at a geometric rate.  Overpopulation of the planet is the biggest environmental disaster and while there may not be much we can do about it, it won't be too long I fear before mother nature does something about it with environmental disasters, plague, famine and so forth to bring the human population back into balance with nature. 

I'm reminded of the early Floyd lyric "And if you survive to 2005, I hope you're exceedingly thin, for if you are stout, you will have to breathe out, while the people around you breathe in".

I agree but what can we do? Should we start adopting Friedrich Nietzsche's ideas. Sleepy
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:38
Originally posted by FLAC FLAC wrote:

I agree but what can we do? Should we start adopting Friedrich Nietzsche's ideas. Sleepy

It's Malthus Time. LOL
Hail Eris!
FLAC View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:45

It's Malthus Time. LOL

yea but that so called "philosophy" worked in the middle ages,where everyone died off plague,and they needed to have as much kids as possible (god's will)

but still religion is to blame (mostly) because if it wasn't for that primitive  fairy tails women would be free to get abortions use pills to prevent pregnancy and man could use plastic bags for their ding dong. This would decrees the numbers a bit if everyone used it 

Edited by FLAC - May 11 2013 at 15:46
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:51

yea but that so called "philosophy" worked in the middle ages,where everyone died off plague,and they needed to have as much kids as possible (god's will)

Hail Eris!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:51

It's Malthus Time. LOL

but still religion is to blame (mostly) because if it wasn't for that primitive  fairy tails women would be free to get abortions use pills to prevent pregnancy and man could use plastic bags for their ding dong. This would decrees the numbers a bit if everyone used it 

This is happening.  Reproduction in most of the developed world is not meeting the replacement rate.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:55

While I strongly support environmental issues, there is also one problem which is not so easy to deal with.  And that is the fact that this planet was not meant to support 7+ billion humans on it. 

How many humans was it meant to support?  I'm not sure what that means, anyway - it sounds like the earth was designed and somehow we've exceeded specifications.

If your number is quite a bit smaller, and you think that is truly the solution, how do you solve this problem without resorting to rather drastic measures?
FLAC View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 16:05

yea but that so called "philosophy" worked in the middle ag
es,where everyone died off plague,and they needed to have as much kids as possible (god's will)

i know it was an joke. I just like to replay to posts don't know why

Well yea third worlds that is the biggest  problem,keeping an controlled population maybe all the third worlds should follow China? Like one child per family?

Edited by FLAC - May 11 2013 at 16:06
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 18:33

i know it was an joke. I just like to replay to posts don't know why

Well yea third worlds that is the biggest  problem,keeping an controlled population maybe all the third worlds should follow China? Like one child per family?

I'm not sure you understand the joke or why it applies to this...

All developing countries, comprising 80% of the world population, produce as much CO2 in total as high-income OECD countries, which comprise 15% of the world's population. It's not them, it's us.

Edited by Gamemako - May 11 2013 at 18:34
Hail Eris!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 18:50
What the hell are the other 5% doing?
What?
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 18:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

What the hell are the other 5% doing?

The other 6.861% of the population has the remaining 15.671% of the CO2 share, obviously. Tongue
Hail Eris!
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 21:03

You mean like breathing?  Wink  I'm not discounting the factories, cars, etc, but breathing alone pumps a lot of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.  Not to mention that we use up resources faster than the rest of the organisms on the planet combined.  The planet may be able to support trillions of organisms, but not 7+ billion people.  I stand by my original statement.

Sure it can. It's just not quite made to be assaulted by human.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>