Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best Dream Theater album outside the Classic Era
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Dream Theater album outside the Classic Era

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Best Dream Theater album outside the Classic Era
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [16.39%]
2 [3.28%]
2 [3.28%]
7 [11.48%]
9 [14.75%]
11 [18.03%]
20 [32.79%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 09:28
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Hell, I'd like to know what's their best album from inside the classic era.

I guess you should start a new thread then!!Wink
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 17:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Six Degrees - Best Epic by DT. Where is the current CD?

Actually, the Six Degrees Epic doesn't do much for me. I do love the whole first disc... and that one would even be my very favourite DT CD, but I can't consider the album as a whole my favourite because I don't really find much to enjoy on the "epic"... and it even doesn't feel like a single long song to me, but several songs joined together by a mutual theme.

I like the album overall - but at the time I found the 'epic' to be very much separate songs joined together rather clumsily with no clear flow though them. As a concept album you need those differences, but as long arrangement calling itself one piece - better bridging, transitions and recurring themes were called for. 'Scenes' did it so much better.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 17:59
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Six Degrees - Best Epic by DT. Where is the current CD?

Actually, the Six Degrees Epic doesn't do much for me. I do love the whole first disc... and that one would even be my very favourite DT CD, but I can't consider the album as a whole my favourite because I don't really find much to enjoy on the "epic"... and it even doesn't feel like a single long song to me, but several songs joined together by a mutual theme.

I like the album overall - but at the time I found the 'epic' to be very much separate songs joined together rather clumsily with no clear flow though them. As a concept album you need those differences, but as long arrangement calling itself one piece - better bridging, transitions and recurring themes were called for. 'Scenes' did it so much better.

I guess that doesn't help either. But if it were only the clumsy joining of the pieces it wouldn't really bother me much. It's just that I don't really like the songs, except for "War inside my Head" and a few bits through the rest of the suite (I remember somewhere in there being a very nice guitar solo). I usually don't like medleys, because I end up wanting to hear the whole songs, but I guess this could be an exception, and a well thought medley of that disc could work very nicely (just as they should have done a medley of Scenes from a Memory using the parts that were originally intended for the 20+ min epic song, that ended up becoming a whole album).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123