moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 10:59
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

It's so private for me. I don't want anyone to witness me listening to King Crimson's Islands. I don't want their opinion or reaction as to why Boz sounds cheesy singing "Beneath the winter waves" or their sarcastic comments about the music not fitting to the times we are now living in. A majority of people in society constantly place emphasis on that and it's annoying. What physically and emotionally fell into place on the day Boz recorded the vocals for Islands is timeless in it's own right. I must have a certain mind set to even hear it.  White Willow has the same affect lyrically and the listening pleasure must be private and isolated....because I've noticed most people cringing at the sound of it. It's as if you end up answering a thousand questions if you broadcast the music in your living room while friends are over, put into a position to defend it and judged. If my kids hear Art Zoyd or Univers Zero, they have an understanding that it is quite like Classical music and dismiss any reaction of fear influenced from the music. They realize that the sections which create a feeling of suspense sound like  my film compositions and they identify with the art somehow...even though they are too young to comprehend abstract thinking. When their friends sleep over and parents knock on the door to drop off their child...if Art Zoyd or Patricia Dallio are playing in the kitchen...it must stop immediately because if the parents hear the music they may find me questionable.

My greatest appreciation of the arts, is when i am alone. I find i like it best that way. I'm not totally against engaging with people when i listen to music, etc., but that full realisation of it is when i am alone.

Absolutely. I would not have it any other way. Maybe this is a large reason why I've been able to enjoy my own company all These years. Music listening has taught me so much. :) I'm with you on this one

Coming from a highly literary house (45k books of portuguese, brazilian and spanish literature), I find this strange. In essence, the SUN is out there, and if you want to get a TAN, you put on your shorts and go do it. There might be other people out there or not. It's not the issue!

I have no qualms about sharing the music with anyone ... if they know it or not. I'm not sure that all of these artists, and musicians for 500 years, did not want an inch of representation and appreciation from an audience, though, we know that many didn't.

I write for me! BECAUSE IT IS WHAT I SEE INSIDE MY MOVIE not because I don't like people and do not wish to share with anyone. I will share what I can ... and I DO, here, for example.

I do not feel threatened by anyone here. Love them all. Would gladly share ABC's with anyone, because they all have some details that are always neat ... and endup showing up inside your noggin as a part of you! There is no shame in that ... people do that to each other with or without sex!

The only issue, is that the "experience" itself, is an individual thing ... and hearing those old fat doggies coming out of the Shankar/Menuhin concert and say things like ... "all that improvisation, how can that be music?" ... taught me right then, that some people don't get it ... unless they are told ... they are social mongers, not creators and not important people for my life!

My only concern here, and yes, generally to be able to DEFINE what you and music (whether you play it or not), are all about ... and once you can see that, the words and expressions are easy ... but sometimes, what throws me off ... not really, but I find it nuts, is reading it here, and how some folks are not willing (or capable) of defining their OWN listening experience, beyong the beat they like, or a chord change that resonates with themselves!

And that's called "addiction"!

Well, I have an addiction to music, but it is not my life! My own poetry and writing is my own music! In different notes ... it is only personal in that it comes from "within" ... but other than that ... it is not something that I can not talk about nowadays, because I can and do here -- a lot -- sometimes too much it seems, but it is as honest and open and caring as I know how to be about the "art" of it all ... it's not something you "dominate" and "demand" from ... it's something that just happens and you are either ready for it, or NOT!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 07:19
No, I just felt bad for the guy.  No one paid him any heed.  I want him to send me a message so I can be more candid---you know, not under this assumed name.  I am NOT a superhero.Cool  I literally get nothing out of it.
theprogmind.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 02:48
Ah, the power of the Prog Mind for self-promotion. Foie gras is just posh spam.
What?
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 00:04
Originally posted by JoeFerguson JoeFerguson wrote:

Hey guys, wouldn't let me post in Get The Word Out section.

Would greatly appreciate it if you'd check out my Canadian Prog-Metal band that just launched!

Thanks a lot! :D http://www.facebook.com/ViaPulse

Hey, buddy.  I'll check out your band.  Send me a message over at The Prog Mind on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/TheProgMind) and I would be glad to take a listen and review it for progarchives as well as powerofmetal.dk where I'm a writer.  Cheers.Big smile 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 12:25

[QUOTE=TODDLER]

It's so private for me. I don't want anyone to witness me listening to King Crimson's Islands. I don't want their opinion or reaction as to why Boz sounds cheesy singing "Beneath the winter waves" or their sarcastic comments about the music not fitting to the times we are now living in. A majority of people in society constantly place emphasis on that and it's annoying. What physically and emotionally fell into place on the day Boz recorded the vocals for Islands is timeless in it's own right. I must have a certain mind set to even hear it.  White Willow has the same affect lyrically and the listening pleasure must be private and isolated....because I've noticed most people cringing at the sound of it. It's as if you end up answering a thousand questions if you broadcast the music in your living room while friends are over, put into a position to defend it and judged. If my kids hear Art Zoyd or Univers Zero, they have an understanding that it is quite like Classical music and dismiss any reaction of fear influenced from the music. They realize that the sections which create a feeling of suspense sound like  my film compositions and they identify with the art somehow...even though they are too young to comprehend abstract thinking. When their friends sleep over and parents knock on the door to drop off their child...if Art Zoyd or Patricia Dallio are playing in the kitchen...it must stop immediately because if the parents hear the music they may find me questionable.

My greatest appreciation of the arts, is when i am alone. I find i like it best that way. I'm not totally against engaging with people when i listen to music, etc., but that full realisation of it is when i am alone.
Absolutely. I would not have it any other way. Maybe this is a large reason why I've been able to enjoy my own company all These years. Music listening has taught me so much. :) I'm with you on this one

There may be a reflection of self-pity inside musicians/prog fanatics who maybe experienced the 70's where the original introduction + development of this music was cemented in their minds. A progression of time passed where something unique was developed in your youth and in the present ..you don't fit into the scheme of things. More or less, we are dismissed and placed in the catagory of being a cult following for the music we like.. To deal with such an awkward and moronic position, one must weigh the balance of positive and negative. To be an outcast is a blessing. Isolation is very important to our lives and our progression to think things over and develop an honest brotherly understanding. A Prog composer will spend 12 hrs. straight composing and recording, give or take 15 minutes to use the bathroom along with the occasional 5 minute breather outside to view the nightsky. And...so it is an art. Your social surroundings/environment has a different but..negative force behind it. You are extremely limited with those around you who enjoy other styles of music , but seem to dislike Prog. What the Progressive rock bands were is never to be what they will become. That is my view over the last 2 decades with Prog fests not selling enough tickets and promoters going for broke. Ironically..this is what originally put us on the map. That part of history ..wiped out and the music continues with Neo-Prog and in many cases, young diverse progressive musicians are supporting themselves and fighting with a power struggle to survive.  This is the negative force. One particular idea of force was to form Prog tribute bands and tour theatres. We need the interest of wealthy individuals who are personally interested in paying our way. Booking orignal Prog bands 5 or 6 times a month in the monster cities of the U.S. instead of once or twice a month.

In the 70's a typical booking for a Philadelphia concert would be The J. Giles Band, King Crimson, and Humble Pie. Prog was on second and upon that week a wider variety of music fans bought the King Crimson album after being generally impressed with their performance. Bookings today are so compact with the choosing of a specific style of music genre and to a point where a Irish music festival is built around a theme, mentality, a cult following. I remember when Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention opened for Prog bands. Maybe if the promoters who design these concerts took on a few Prog bands, people might develop interest. Especially in America.  

Edited by TODDLER - June 06 2013 at 12:36
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 01:10
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Oh no! Save us from the Prog hive-mind.

We Are the Porg

Renaissance is Futile

....resistance is futile...
Ameno!

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 06 2013 at 01:10
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 01:07
[QUOTE=Dean]Oh no! Save us from the Prog hive-mind.

We Are the Porg

Renaissance is Futile
[/QUOTE

....resistance is futile...
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 21:44
I'm laughing on the inside.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 20:22
^
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 19:31
LOL

WE ARE THE PORKStern Smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 19:26
Oh no! Save us from the Prog hive-mind.

We Are the Porg

Renaissance is Futile
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 17:38
Maybe that's the prog mind? 
Collective souls of sonic misfortune coalescing on the world wide web.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 17:23
^right on! You people are meaningful to me, as well. My life has been enriched.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 12:02

I agree and when I became interested in Prog..I was alone. I miss the company of an ole' friend that shared the common interest with me. She was deeply interested in the Gong mythology...spending time outdoors studying the lyrics and listening to the entire catalog every week  She also liked Henry Cow and mostly anything underground/obscure. Yet...another good friend who was introduced to underground European Progressive music through his uncle who traveled to the U.S.from Germany and handed him over 2000 import albums. All 3 of us would arrange an event ,, just sitting for hours listening to the Popol Vuh collection  and music I had no knowledge of. I miss having friends like that and observing the world engaging with friends within a personal , but common interest , whether it be sports or television is a let down. The reason I am faced with this abandonment today has to do with the dated times I lived in and how it is naturally..socially dismissed.. within the bloodstream of society. Passing the album cover around, reading the lyrics, sharing insight with each other about the music,..that doesn't seem realistic anymore. Why are we so outnumbered? Why can't people be curious, daring, and take chances?  Clinging on to Nosferatu and nothing else feels as precious. The decades pass and still nothing surpasses it That feeling of isolation is present in the Classical world where you have 1 particular composer looking back to the history of another for education and overall influence. 

Wow. You are lucky to have had those experiences with other people. I've never have had that and I love hearing about prog sharing like that. It is hard to be reminicient with prog in society these days. The only people I can talk to about the incredible depths of prog with only occur on this website for me. I am very alone in my prog world and it's taught me a lot.
It's nice to know, however, that their are many people including you (toddler) that feel the same way. I consider a lot of people my friends on this cite for the wonderful and insightful conversations we've had about the world of prog.
I am thankful for at least that.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 08:29

It's so private for me. I don't want anyone to witness me listening to King Crimson's Islands...

Absolutely. I would not have it any other way. Maybe this is a large reason why I've been able to enjoy my own company all These years. 
I agree and when I became interested in Prog..I was alone... 

What interests me is the opposite: How a seemingly private activity like listening to music or watching a film, etc., is actually a *social* activity.

While everyone above says that music is best appreciated when alone, we're all here on a social network site, sharing and talking about the music we love (and don't love).

Why is it that when we love something, we *yearn* to share it with others? "Listen to this, it's great!," we'll say to our parents or friends or co-workers (and rarely do they share our enthusiasm, haha). Finding music we love is, in a way, an attempt at communication, an impulse to reach out.

According to Marx, in a capitalist society it is *products* which mediates social relations. For example, a family that does something together gathers around a television set or gathers around a movie screen or goes out to eat at a restaurant. Or the proverbial watercooler in the office...

That is to say, we don't relate to each other directly (even with our closest friends or family members), but rather through the products that are in between us. (Furthermore, these products take on a 'halo', as though they were not humanly manufactured, but rather are almost mystical, magical. They're imbued with an almost fetishistic vibe: we collect them, talk about them, write about them, practically obsess over them: for us, our favorite band, our favorite songs and albums, our vinyl collections, posters, autographs, whatever.)

We don't have to agree with that. It's a way of seeing things though, in a different light,... which, like I said, I find rather interesting Smile

Edited by jude111 - June 05 2013 at 08:46
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 08:12

I agree and when I became interested in Prog..I was alone. I miss the company of an ole' friend that shared the common interest with me. She was deeply interested in the Gong mythology...spending time outdoors studying the lyrics and listening to the entire catalog every week  She also liked Henry Cow and mostly anything underground/obscure. Yet...another good friend who was introduced to underground European Progressive music through his uncle who traveled to the U.S.from Germany and handed him over 2000 import albums. All 3 of us would arrange an event ,, just sitting for hours listening to the Popol Vuh collection  and music I had no knowledge of. I miss having friends like that and observing the world engaging with friends within a personal , but common interest , whether it be sports or television is a let down. The reason I am faced with this abandonment today has to do with the dated times I lived in and how it is naturally..socially dismissed.. within the bloodstream of society. Passing the album cover around, reading the lyrics, sharing insight with each other about the music,..that doesn't seem realistic anymore. Why are we so outnumbered? Why can't people be curious, daring, and take chances?  Clinging on to Nosferatu and nothing else feels as precious. The decades pass and still nothing surpasses it That feeling of isolation is present in the Classical world where you have 1 particular composer looking back to the history of another for education and overall influence. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 16:23

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 16:21
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Most people understand that the future that we encounter will be one of change. But change always begets change. It's exponential, really. Things will start changing quicker than we can even fathom at this point. It will be overwhelming.

Wait until you see your childrem, all of a sudden 35 years old or something like it!

It's not really "change" ... it's evolution! And sometimes I think this is what we don't "get" in progressive music ... it's not about "time changes" and what not (like rock'n'roll and a lot of jazz music IS!), but about the evolution of the music, be it a theme, lyrics or otherwise. And this applies better to all the music we love, than the word "changes" ever will!
That's interesting, moshkito, thanks.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 14:55
Actually this was the french school system (from France but in Canada) , marks were coefficient 4 plus 20, I just checked my files. So whatever mark , average like 12 was x 4  = 48 =20 which gave a logical 68% . That's how it was back in 1975 . It was done so as to reflect equilibrium with British/Canadian/Us method of %, in order to establish entrance scores for non-French universities. Not my invention, but typically Gallic. Vive la difference. Cool
You are correct about the blank piece of paper giving 20 , I guess it was points for attendance LOL Still failure which made you fall back a year and start all over again.

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>