Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:03
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

That sounds more like politics than philosophy. Isn't philosophy supposed to expand our understanding of the world and its nature (besides science)?
Sounds nothing like politics, though the philosophy of politics has some bearing considering that politics are based upon some philosophical idealism and are modified and corrupted by other philosophical idealisms and are enacted by people subscribing to some philosophical idealism.
OK. What kind of damage has philosophy done to us (besides that on political grounds)?
Where would you like to start?  Religion,Idealism, Dogma, Politics, Economics,  War, Eugenics, Ethnic Cleansing and Racism?

That sounds more like politics than philosophy. Isn't philosophy supposed to expand our understanding of the world and its nature (besides science)?
However, do you want to give a nice concise example where philosophy that has been a positive expansion of our understanding of the world?
I wouldn't know anything about that. I've never ever heard or read anyone telling the public that this philosophical quote has changed his/her/its way of thinking. For all I know, philosophy has the potential of helping us improve our lifestyles.
Everyone assumes that philosophy does nothing but good, yet there is little evidence of that. In its basic form, philosophy does nothing and gives us nothing, it has never produced anything of value, for every philosophical thought there is an counter train of thought that states the opposite view. One man's philosophical panacea is another man's anathema.

We will repeat the same mistakes regardless of how much we know it is destined to failure because we are an arrogant species who denies its past mistakes.
1) What kind of failure is it destined to? 2) Not all of us are arrogant. 3) We don't deny our past mistakes ... that's what history classes are for.
Show me one case where we as a species has learnt from their mistakes. We are all arrogant. Empires still rise and fall, we still wage pointless wars, people still die of starvation. History has taught us nothing.

Edited by Dean - May 17 2013 at 13:04
What?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:07
I like strong lyrics and content but since it's the music that draws me in and keeps me interested first and foremost then if that's missing I really couldn't care less about the lyrics. In fact, for most of my favorite songs I don't even know more than 1 or 2 random lines regardless of whether their being sung or growled, rasped or spoken as I find delivery to be far more important.

Take Between the Buried and Me's Mordecai, it's a rather rough song being from their second album but the second half of the song is breathtaking for Tommy Rogers passionate delivery, and despite having the album for over 2 years I still haven't a clue what it is he sings, he just does it really well. 

The caveat to this is that obvious pointless nonsense stands out quite badly and is one reason why I don't like Yes.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:10

Show me one case where we as a species has learnt from their mistakes. We are all arrogant. Empires still rise and fall, we still wage pointless wars, people still die of starvation. History has taught us nothing.

I'd say it's taught, we've just refused to listen.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:12

Sounds nothing like politics, though the philosophy of politics has some bearing considering that politics are based upon some philosophical idealism and are modified and corrupted by other philosophical idealisms and are enacted by people subscribing to some philosophical idealism.
OK. What kind of damage has philosophy done to us (besides that on political grounds)?
Where would you like to start? Religion,Idealism, Dogma, Politics, Economics,  War, Eugenics, Ethnic Cleansing and Racism?
I don't see how philosophy has to do with any of it. Many of the things you've mentioned are based on ill motivations, not on healthy ways thinking.

However, do you want to give a nice concise example where philosophy that has been a positive expansion of our understanding of the world?
I wouldn't know anything about that. I've never ever heard or read anyone telling the public that this philosophical quote has changed his/her/its way of thinking. For all I know, philosophy has the potential of helping us improve our lifestyles.
Everyone assumes that philosophy does nothing but good, yet there is little evidence of that. In its basic form, philosophy does nothing and gives us nothing, it has never produced anything of value, for every philosophical thought there is an counter train of thought that states the opposite view. One man's philosophical panacea is another man's anathema.
1) Who is everyone? 2) The form of philosophy as we know it is far beyond basic, last time I checked. 3) "
One man's philosophical panacea is another man's anathema." What is this, a universal thing? How can you prove that?

We will repeat the same mistakes regardless of how much we know it is destined to failure because we are an arrogant species who denies its past mistakes.
1) What kind of failure is it destined to? 2) Not all of us are arrogant. 3) We don't deny our past mistakes ... that's what history classes are for.
[/quote]If there is anything history has taught us, it's what not to do.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 17 2013 at 13:16
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Anyway, back to the brass tacks: The only sound things I can think of off the top of my head are only some of those penned by Mr. Hammill and Mr. Rogers Waters.

(I know this one is not prog, but here it goes:) "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" - don't mean jack s%$t to me, especially since the time of Jesus was rather very poorly documented, and I don't freaking know whether he has ever really existed. PG's "Biko" has brought the cruelty in the Apartheid-stricken corners of the world to the attention of the rest of the world, but had not done much else (at least to my knowledge, especially since my knowledge I find rather feeble, let alone in the history of the world).

I want lyrics that can change a person. I, as a songwriter, want to develop a brand of lyric-writing that can help improve a person's lifestyle and worldview (of course, that depends how I would define the word "improve", but that's a topic for another day).
Geez, what else do you want the song to do, flip your pancakes?

Sorry, just a weird thing to read.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

+1, though I'd say that we refuse to listen to a lot of things.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:14
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Anyway, back to the brass tacks: The only sound things I can think of off the top of my head are only some of those penned by Mr. Hammill and Mr. Rogers Waters.

(I know this one is not prog, but here it goes:) "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" - don't mean jack s%$t to me, especially since the time of Jesus was rather very poorly documented, and I don't freaking know whether he has ever really existed. PG's "Biko" has brought the cruelty in the Apartheid-stricken corners of the world to the attention of the rest of the world, but had not done much else (at least to my knowledge, especially since my knowledge I find rather feeble, let alone in the history of the world).

I want lyrics that can change a person. I, as a songwriter, want to develop a brand of lyric-writing that can help improve a person's lifestyle and worldview (of course, that depends how I would define the word "improve", but that's a topic for another day).
Geez, what else do you want the song to do, flip your pancakes?

Sorry, just a weird thing to read.
You are taking this way too close to heart (I'm just judging by the tone of it). It's one thing to report on the state of humanity. Actually doing something with the state of humanity through a song is a whole another matter, a feat that demands immense lyric-writing mastery, though I can't think of a person who would be capable of that.

Still a weird thing to read?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 17 2013 at 13:15
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:16
Originally posted by Monadology Monadology wrote:

Either Dean's attitudes toward philosophy rest of some dogmatic set of values by which the consequences of philosophy are judged, or Dean's attitudes toward philosophy rest of some set of values which was derived from philosophical thinking about what is good and what are bad, by which the consequences of philosophy are judged. In the first case, I think it's safe to say that dogmatically held values have done far more harm than philosophy ever has. In the second case, Dean is sawing the branch supporting him. Either way, there's not much use debating with him.

Yeah, I get that argument a lot and it bounces off me like a bouncy thing hitting a hard thing. Lovers of Philosophy as an academic discipline do get a little prickly when someone dismisses their passion as a mere frippery.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:23

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

+1, though I'd say that we refuse to listen to a lot of things.
If the lesson taught is ignored then we may have learnt something but we have not learnt anything from it and therefore it has taught us nothing.

This is more than just being smart with words.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:26
^ Therefore, if not all of us, then some of us have to do something about ourselves. I bet that there are some people out there who act on philosophical principles for greater good. I don't know when, I don't know where, I just can't prove that there is absolutely no one doing that. Otherwise, we might just as well throw the whole damn thing overboard.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 17 2013 at 13:30
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:34

Maybe we are being monitored by aliens who are waiting for the right time to invade Earth.

Oh...now you did it.....
Do you want Dean to philosophize ...er make a pronouncement on how there ain't no such things as space aliens.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:37

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq<SPAN style=LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2> Dayvenkirq wrote:

I don't see how philosophy has to do with any of it. Many of the things you've mentioned are based on ill motivations, not on healthy ways thinking.

Philosophy is not "a healthy way of thinking" - though it is often used to justify a way of thinking into making it appear to be healthy.

1) Who is everyone? 2) The form of philosophy as we know it is far beyond basic, last time I 1)
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq<SPAN style=LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2> Dayvenkirq wrote:

Who is everyone? 2) The form of philosophy as we know it is far beyond basic, last time I checked. 3) "One man's philosophical panacea is another man's anathema." What is this, a universal thing? How can you prove that?
1) mankind is everyone, unless you want to sit this one out.
2) There is no one form of philosophy, there are many, many different philosophies, all different, many of them contradictory.
3) Of course I can prove it. Pick a philosophy then look for the opposite philosophy - you can guarantee that one will exist, even if it is shoruded in gobbledygook languag e- existentialism is opposed by determinsitic fatalism for example.

[QUOTE=Dayvenkirq]If there is anything history has taught us, it's what not to do.
Yet we still do it. Ergo, the lesson taught is not learnt.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Maybe we are being monitored by aliens who are waiting for the right time to invade Earth. 

Oh...now you did it.....
Do you want Dean to philosophize ...er make a pronouncement on how there ain't no such things as space aliens.

Wink
I don't know much about space, I can give you that much.  

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 17 2013 at 13:37
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:41
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Oh...now you did it.....

Wink
Oh ffs. Hardy har har. I have never made such a claim. In fact I have said the exact opposite - the existence of "space aliens" is perfectly reasonable and quite probable.

You should try reading long posts occasionally instead of skimming them. Tongue
What?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:41
Ohhhhhhhh 'for the greater good' a term that has been vastly manipulated to do harm. Sorry, I'm just thinking of all the wars fought in the name of god like the crusades and so forth. Yikes!

Anyway
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:44

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq<span style=LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2> Dayvenkirq wrote:

Philosophy is not "a healthy way of thinking" - though it is often used to justify a way of thinking into making it appear to be healthy.
That's a very pessimistic and unjustified (or maybe even nihilistic) way of thinking I have no much use for. Let's nuke the world.

1) Who is everyone? 2) The form of philosophy as we know it is far beyond basic, last time I 1)
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq<span style=LINE-HEIGHT: 1.2> Dayvenkirq wrote:

Who is everyone? 2) The form of philosophy as we know it is far beyond basic, last time I checked. 3) "One man's philosophical panacea is another man's anathema." What is this, a universal thing? How can you prove that?
1) mankind is everyone, unless you want to sit this one out.
2) There is no one form of philosophy, there are many, many different philosophies, all different, many of them contradictory.
3) Of course I can prove it. Pick a philosophy then look for the opposite philosophy - you can guarantee that one will exist, even if it is shoruded in gobbledygook languag e- existentialism is opposed by determinsitic fatalism for example.
1) You are saying that everyone assumes the same thing?  Damn, what a coincidence. 3) Thomas Malthus: Get rid of some inhabitants of the same niche so that there would be enough resources for everyone left in the said niche. How would you oppose to that?

If there is anything history has taught us, it's what not to do.
Yet we still do it. Ergo, the lesson taught is not learnt.
We still do what? Are you saying that Turks are still committing genocide against Armenians?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 17 2013 at 13:49
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:50
Andrey with respect, this is without doubt the least interesting conversation I have had today since we are talking at tangents, not only to the thread topic, but to what each other is saying, therefore, I'm out.

Edited by Dean - May 17 2013 at 13:52
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:51
Sounds good.

Back on the horse: like I said, look to Mr. Hammill. There may be more to the lyrics than meets the eye.

How can I be free?
How can I get help?
Am I really me?
Am I someone else?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 17 2013 at 13:53
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 13:53
A related thread from the past.......
Smile

some other opinions since all of the comments as always are just opinions.

Edited by dr wu23 - May 17 2013 at 14:17
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>