FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeofolk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neofolk
    Posted: May 27 2013 at 16:50
I seriously want to get into neofolk because it sounds awesome on the paper, and I should like it. But there's one problem: the recurring neo-nazi themes in most of the bands. Now I'm not that kind of person who would dismiss a band because of its lyrics, but listening to neo-nazi band, however good it is, gives me a strange, uneasy feeling and I'm not really able to appreciate it. I want to ask you, people, if you know some good neofolk/dark folk/apocalyptic folk bands which aren't neo-nazi or fascist.

Thanks in advance.
edit: Here's one song by Rome, which are neo-nazi and include martial elements into their sound, but this particular song is beautiful and has no neo-nazi lyrics (at least they're not immediately visible, if they exist)

Edited by mister nobody - May 27 2013 at 17:05
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 17:36
To be honest, i don't understand this genre and know nothing about it. 

But the label "dark folk" made me think of Chelsea Wolfe, perhaps she will do the job for you? 

She's has a very bleak, yet beautiful sound. 

Edited by Horizons - May 27 2013 at 17:37
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 17:57
Are you sure that ROME is a neo-nazi band? I'm well aware that the whole Neo/Dark-Folk scene is quite controversial, but what proof have you that this band is neo-nazi?
Not only they have released albums on an important label (Trisol), but there's also this interview of main member Jerome Reuter who claims quite explicitely that he's anti-right wing:
http://www.reflectionsofdarkness.com/-artists-p-t-interviews-88/10146-interview-rome-september-2011.html

Of course, he can lie and I don't know his background, so anything can happen... Ermm

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 18:11
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

I seriously want to get into neofolk because it sounds awesome on the paper, and I should like it. But there's one problem: the recurring neo-nazi themes in most of the bands. Now I'm not that kind of person who would dismiss a band because of its lyrics, but listening to neo-nazi band, however good it is, gives me a strange, uneasy feeling and I'm not really able to appreciate it. I want to ask you, people, if you know some good neofolk/dark folk/apocalyptic folk bands which aren't neo-nazi or fascist.

Thanks in advance.
edit: Here's one song by Rome, which are neo-nazi and include martial elements into their sound, but this particular song is beautiful and has no neo-nazi lyrics (at least they're not immediately visible, if they exist)

Sounds like Perry's stuff with Dead can Dance,,,which I like.
Try  White Willow's early cd's, and of course Espers.....they all have a somber mood but I wouldn't call them dark per se.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 09:35
@dr wu23
Dead Can Dance is on my list of to-check-out bands, and I've already heard of Espers. White Willow sounds good, thanks!
@Horizons
Yeah I've been seeing her on /mu/ for quite a while but I never thought she was worth checking out. Based on these samples, I'm going to like her.
@CPicard
Well, I came to that conclusion because of the samples used (I listened to Nera), which include gunfire and German military speeches (if I heard it good). I may be completely wrong. But then again, I listened to the album once more today, and, while the uneasy feeling is still there, I surely enjoy it much more. Are you a fan? What would you recommend me next?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:46
I'm not a fan of ROME, and I'm not even a fan of Dark-Folk: I listened to some records by Death In June and Current 93 just a couple of months ago and didn't like these albums (especially DIJ, which manage to make me laugh!)

Besides, just because a band uses German speeches doesn't mean it's a Nazi band: after all, it could be speeches from some Communist partisans! The Communist propaganda could sound as harsh as the Fascist/Nazi propaganda.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 12:15
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Besides, just because a band uses German speeches doesn't mean it's a Nazi band: after all, it could be speeches from some Communist partisans! The Communist propaganda could sound as harsh as the Fascist/Nazi propaganda.
I know. It's that neofolk general controversy that led me to believe that Rome were neo-nazi. But after reading that interview, I changed my mind.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 20:58
Yeah, Chelsea is awesome. Really dark and cryptic, and strangely sexy. Big smile I don't listen to her that much, but she's pleasant.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 20:59
Freak Folk and Psych Folk. Does that count?
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 15:09
Psych folk started in the 1960s, it's not new.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 16:06
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Psych folk started in the 1960s, it's not new.
Neofolk != new folk
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 16:12

The two on ProgArchives that first came to mind are Faun and Wovenhand.

Faun are more pagan and even sing in ancient languages, while Wovenhand (David Eugene Edwards) is just dark.

I guess Rada & Ternovnik as well, although they're a little unpredictable and have done some trance music and some stuf that's more like post-punk than neofolk.

Maybe Emma Myldenberger if you want to go back a few years (decades).  They're kind of weird but sort of fit into the pagan folk mold, although by definition not neofolk I suppose.

And I would put Larkin Grimm in that category as well, especially her second album.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 09:29
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 09:57
One of my all time favorite collection of songs similar to dark folk etc is This Mortal Coil....while not a single group nor precisely folk they have many of those elements within the various tracks,,,

Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply