Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Sci-Fi in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sci-Fi in Prog
    Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:02
Originally posted by richardh

Originally posted by progbethyname

Originally posted by AreYouHuman

A couple of albums with time-travel storylines: Eloy—The Power and the Passion and Ekseption—Beggar Julia’s Time Trip.

Ay! Eloy! So fantastic at delving into the fantastic. This is a band that has greatly one me over lately.
I enjoy Planets very much as well.

Approve
The Power and The Passion through to Metromania was a great run of albums and all with a sci-fi theme.
Also Tides Turn Forever and Ocean II are well worth checking out.

I heard somewhere that Frank Borneman never read any Sci Fi novels but I'm not sure I'm buying it. The bands name is derived from the future civilization in The Time Machine for crying out loud.   
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:33
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller

A couple of albums with time-travel storylines: Eloy—The Power and the Passion and Ekseption—Beggar Julia’s Time Trip.

Ay! Eloy! So fantastic at delving into the fantastic. This is a band that has greatly one me over lately. 
I enjoy Planets very much as well.

Approve
The Power and The Passion through to Metromania was a great run of albums and all with a sci-fi theme.

I heard somewhere that Frank Borneman never read any Sci Fi novels but I'm not sure I'm buying it. The bands name is derived from the future civilization in The Time Machine for crying out loud.    
Considering that they got the spelling wrong (it's Eloi in the book) then it's a fair bet they got the band name from the 1960 film staring Rod Taylor and not the novel.

If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:42
Has anyone written music about the advancement of society to the next level?  I believe "Watcher of the Skies" is in that vein.  It would seem to be an obvious musical theme for prog to explore.

This is an excellent article about how intelligent races may evolve in the universe, and why we should be concerned about it! 

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:46
Symphony X's ICONOCLAST is a great sci-fi album.

It's the classic MAN v.s MACHINE as the machines (which look like mech warriors) try and take over the world.

I love it. :)
I kneel to the alter of ARCAM.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 13:08
Originally posted by Dean

Ay! Eloy! So fantastic at delving into the fantastic. This is a band that has greatly one me over lately. I enjoy Planets very much as well.

Approve
Considering that they got the spelling wrong (it's Eloi in the book) then it's a fair bet they got the band name from the 1960 film staring Rod Taylor and not the novel.

Personally my friends, I think all do to psychedelics. Frank Bornemann' is a dabbler indeed.

God love it though. What a fantastic mind. Great lyricist. I really like 'The Sun-Song.'
The guy is captain majestic to me.
I kneel to the alter of ARCAM.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 15:06

Ay! Eloy! So fantastic at delving into the fantastic. This is a band that has greatly one me over lately. I enjoy Planets very much as well.

Approve

True but I think maybe the misspelling was intentional. A lot of bands seemed to have done that(ie Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard etc).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 15:16

True but I think maybe the misspelling was intentional. A lot of bands seemed to have done that(ie Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard etc).

Yes, I believe the y in Eloy is deliberate but I forget the reason for the change apart from "just because"...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 16:32
*shrug* whatever.

If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Tanner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 10:00
There's a 1989 German movie titled "Hard to Be a God" with a soundtrack written by Triumvirat's keyboardist Jurgen Fritz. Haven't watched that, but I heard it's a great movie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314