Topic ClosedSci-Fi in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 18:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

In Search of Ancient Gods. The album had Bill Bruford and a couple of folks from Brand X, I think! Very nice album, too!

Absolute Elsewhere...indeed, a goody! Inspired/based on the books of Erich von Daniken.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 05:29
Erich von Däniken presented his ancient astronaut stories as non-fictional, though.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 06:07
Help me I'm falling!
DreamReaper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 18:26
José Cid's 10.000 Anos Depois Entre Vénus e Marte is a wonderful sci-fi rock opera Thumbs Up

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/669/cover_94162822009.jpg

And Muse's Exogenesis: Symphony is a great example of modern sci-fi prog:

Oh and by the way, i cant wait for George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire to be turned into an epic prog metal album trilogy Wink
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 18:36
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Erich von Däniken presented his ancient astronaut stories as non-fictional, though.

Indeed, von Däniken's books are not science fiction at all. As unlikely as his ideas may seem, they are serious (well, at least to Ancient Astronaut theorists Wink) hypothesis in fringe science and archaeology.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 19:30
Eventually Von Daniken admitted that there were some outright fabrications in his writing, in particular the section of “The Gold of the Gods” in which he claimed to have been guided through a series of artificial tunnels in Ecuador filled with gold artifacts that he was certain were of extraterrestrial origin. So yes, some of his work could be considered science fiction of a sort.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 20:28
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Eventually Von Daniken admitted that there were some outright fabrications in his writing, in particular the section of “The Gold of the Gods” in which he claimed to have been guided through a series of artificial tunnels in Ecuador filled with gold artifacts that he was certain were of extraterrestrial origin. So yes, some of his work could be considered science fiction of a sort.

Yes I'm aware that Mr. von Däniken is not particularly known for his honesty, having inclusively been arrested in the past on fraud charges Disapprove Nonetheless he did formulate an intriguing hypothesis with curious and interesting ideas, even though they may turn out to be completely wrong (which of course is highly unlikely... Wink LOL)
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 20:35

Anyone mentioned this album yet?
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 03:23
Originally posted by DreamReaper DreamReaper wrote:

Yes I'm aware that Mr. von Däniken is not particularly known for his honesty, having inclusively been arrested in the past on fraud charges Disapprove Nonetheless he did formulate an intriguing hypothesis with curious and interesting ideas, even though they may turn out to be completely wrong (which of course is highly unlikely... Wink LOL)

Erich has said what he's really doing is asking questions, hence the title of his most famous book, Chariots Of The Gods?

He seems like a really nice guy, too!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 03:31
The ancient astronaut theory had been a staple of science-fiction literature for a while before Von Däniken started presenting it as a "serious" hypothesis, though. There it had been popularized by H. P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness published in 1931, and I think it was basically a fantastic take on the now-discredited archeological theory of hyperdiffusionism (best known around my part of the woods from Thor Heyerdahl) - its Panbabylonist variety in particular.

No idea if Lovecraft subscribed to "real" hyperdiffusionism, though. The 1930s seem to have been when it fell out of favour with academic archeologists.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 09:16

The ancient astronaut theory had been a staple of science-fiction literature for a while before Von Däniken started presenting it as a "serious" hypothesis, though. There it had been popularized by H. P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness published in 1931, and I think it was basically a fantastic take on the now-discredited archeological theory of hyperdiffusionism (best known around my part of the woods from Thor Heyerdahl) - its Panbabylonist variety in particular.

No idea if Lovecraft subscribed to "real" hyperdiffusionism, though. The 1930s seem to have been when it fell out of favour with academic archeologists.
Charles Fort, who you mentioned in your Forteana thread, also brought up this idea about 'alien visitors' back in the late 30's and said that 'we were someone else's property'.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 09:51
As mention earlier, "Into The Void" by Black Sabbath. Reminds me a lot of the Twilight Zone episode "Third From The Sun", where this family plans to smuggle a top secret spaceship to escape their Earth which is spiraling into World War III.

Would The Man Machine by Kraftwerk count as sci-fi? Lyrically it doesn't do much, but it music does conjure up images of Fritz Lang's Metropolis.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 16:08

The ancient astronaut theory had been a staple of science-fiction literature for a while before Von Däniken started presenting it as a "serious" hypothesis, though. There it had been popularized by H. P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness published in 1931, and I think it was basically a fantastic take on the now-discredited archeological theory of hyperdiffusionism (best known around my part of the woods from Thor Heyerdahl) - its Panbabylonist variety in particular.No idea if Lovecraft subscribed to "real" hyperdiffusionism, though. The 1930s seem to have been when it fell out of favour with academic archeologists.

Now you've done it. A band is going to record an album under the name PanBabylonia! Mellotrons and pan flutes galore!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 07:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Charles Fort, who you mentioned in your Forteana thread, also brought up this idea about 'alien visitors' back in the late 30's and said that 'we were someone else's property'.

I don't remember Fort explaining those "someone else" as by necessity coming from another planet - or am I getting him confused with John Keel again?
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 23:43
A couple of albums with time-travel storylines: Eloy—The Power and the Passion and Ekseption—Beggar Julia’s Time Trip.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 00:02

A couple of albums with time-travel storylines: Eloy—The Power and the Passion and Ekseption—Beggar Julia’s Time Trip.

Ay! Eloy! So fantastic at delving into the fantastic. This is a band that has greatly one me over lately.
I enjoy Planets very much as well.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 01:57
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Ay! Eloy! So fantastic at delving into the fantastic. This is a band that has greatly one me over lately.
I enjoy Planets very much as well.

Approve

The Power and The Passion through to Metromania was a great run of albums and all with a sci-fi theme.

Also Tides Turn Forever and Ocean II are well worth checking out.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 05:13
first off The Residents sci-fi masterwork(s) Mark of the Mole & Intermission EP  (+ the instrumental LP: Tales of Two Cities) all part of the unfinished Mole Trilogy.

Penn Jillette/The Residents on the Mole Show on BBC sometime in 1982/83.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp2KWSsBl44

& 20 minutes of the best concert/concept I never had the chance to experience live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdxvv4fI7fU

Best two clips on the internet!

A couple of suggestions that might upset and hurt the feelings of grumpy old (but also hilarious) Pwog Masterminds & Mosquitoes: 

Veteran of the Psychic Wars is already mentioned but here's some more Blue Oyster Cult / Michael Moorcock collaborations: The Great Sun Jester, Black Blade... I'm certain I could suggest more BöC-songs, but I would have to check if the lyrics are closer to fantasy than Sci-Fi first. 

ELO - Time their wonderfully cheesy synth-pop ultrathin concept-album is my favorite of theirs.

Being in love in 2095 will prove even more complicated than it was in 1981:

She's only programmed to be very nice - But she's as cold as ice - Whenever I get too near - She tells me that she likes me very much - But when I try to touch - She makes it all too clear. - She is the latest in technology - Almost mythology - But she has a heart stone - She has an I.Q. of 1001 - She has a jumpsuit on - And she's also a telephone...

Then there's the perhaps already mentioned Brainticket - Celestial Ocean...  about how the Ancient Egyptians were also interstellar astronauts. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 11:21
I've been told that Voivod's entire lyrics revolve around this conceptual storyline that Away cooked up in a similar fashion as the respective mythological band concepts of Blue Öyster Cult and Magma, presumably about a neolithic-era Central Asian steppe warrior who's frozen in ice and wakes up in a post-apocalyptic future where he goes on to become a future warlord later a space-faring cyborg and whatnot.

Can anyone clear it up how much of a myth arc there really is, or I'm just misremembering things I've read in fan reviews et cetera? Away's lyrics are very abstract at times, using a lot of fragmented cryptic symbolism even more so than Sandy Pearlman's... and his broken English does not exactly help either. Neither have I read that many interviews with the band members.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 11:42
This thread could go on forever. I didn't read everything in here so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but the neo prog band called No Name from Luxembourg did a track based on Star Gate.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1004
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>