FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSci-Fi in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 14:45
Rush is absurd kitsch.
Hammills melodramatics are one thing but Lee's are always the same crank-pretense  - unchanging like the acting of  that Spiderman guy or Keenu Reeves, for chriossake). His ravings  are not like someone gone mad,so much as being like someone gone sheer obnoxious. They curdle Reason -as do the embarrassing lyrics. (Ever LISTEN to "Hemispheres" - the pontificating, worship-of-self, Ayn Randish -rubbish lyrics of Hemispheres, of someone sexually-repressed and forever in pre-puberty.
This repugnant Rush stadium AOR is the domain of the juveniles, of the hooting airheads. And , most of all, the total neophyte.

Romanticizing this as being something actually worthy is like those Victorian authors  out to make the charming & erudite polite higher-class highway robbery men as being somehow acceptable.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 14:49
Rush are brilliant.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 14:51
Originally posted by Knobby Knobby wrote:

Rush is absurd kitsch.
Hammills melodramatics are one thing but Lee's are always the same crank-pretense  - unchanging like the acting of  that Spiderman guy or Keenu Reeves, for chriossake). His ravings  are not like someone gone mad,so much as being like someone gone sheer obnoxious. They curdle Reason -as do the embarrassing lyrics. (Ever LISTEN to "Hemispheres" - the pontificating, worship-of-self, Ayn Randish -rubbish lyrics of Hemispheres, of someone sexually-repressed and forever in pre-puberty.

This repugnant Rush stadium AOR is the domain of the juveniles, of the hooting airheads. And , most of all, the total neophyte.

Romanticizing this as being something actually worthy is like those Victorian authors  out to make the charming & erudite polite higher-class highway robbery men as being somehow acceptable.

Oh come on!!!! Don't be a knobby today. I've got a bad hangover.

This is a bit ridiculous and i really don't know how to respond to something like this.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 14:55
One does one's best to beat down narrow-minded critics and their tirades over Prog's pretentious lyrics and then this behemoth-clown , Rush comes along and all your work is thrown to the whirling blades, leaving one totally weaponless, open to attack.
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 14:58
I move to dismiss this Rush talk on grounds of  religious freedom - there IS a God and Rush is Godless.

Unpatriotic as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 15:06

One does one's best to beat down narrow-minded critics and their tirades over Prog's pretentious lyrics and then this behemoth-clown , Rush comes along and all your work is thrown to the whirling blades, leaving one totally weaponless, open to attack.

Man. Your hilarious and can't tell weather you are being serious or not.
I really can't!!

Anyway. Signals and Hemispheres are brilliant pieces of music by Rush. Lyrically speaking, Neil Peart is a very well educated and informed man. Also, even Rush's latest album, CLOCKWORK ANGELS adapted a gothic steam punk literary conceptual theme to the album...come on. How many bands have the 'now how' to do that.

Rush are brilliant. End of story. Also. Your criticisms don't make sense.   
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 15:22
First of al - besides your living in TORONTO - how old are you?

I'm not talking to children.

Progarchives may be  Romper Room, but I am a Pwog Masterman, dammit!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 15:35

First of al - besides your living in TORONTO - how old are you?

I'm not talking to children.

Progarchives may be  Romper Room, but I am a Pwog Masterman, dammit!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I think my age and where I live serve little relevance to this discussion.
You make some pretty bold comments, so I think you are gonna get a bit of disagreement from some people here on PA, namely me. Lol

Listen. I just feel what you are saying doesn't a wink of sense to me weather you feel like you are from another planet or not. Rush are very creative, full of life and present some of thee most artistic literary themes in their music.
Rush make me so proud to be Canadian and im very pleased to be in Toronto.

Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 15:44
Kid then.

Goodbye.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 15:55

Kid then.

Goodbye.

I am very young, but I believe you still have not provided me with any insight as to why you presume RUSH to be the trite, prosaic band you have labeled them to be. Something tells me your name speaks volumes about the quality and cander of your character. Oh and FYI I'm 32. Not important, but I suppose I can answer that simple question for you.
You can mock me now....
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 16:03
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Kid then.

Goodbye.

I am very young, but I believe you still have not provided me with any insight as to why you presume RUSH to be the trite, prosaic band you have labeled them to be. Something tells me your name speaks volumes about the quality and cander of your character. Oh and FYI I'm 32. Not important, but I suppose I can answer that simple question for you.
You can mock me now....

At 58, I'm ancient....first saw Rush in 1975, when "Fly By Night" came out.  I'm glad you like them.  They aren't my cup of tea, but they have done some excellent work.  

As OP of this thread, I agree with you that Rush does indeed contribute mightily to "sci fi in prog."   And you should have many reasons besides Rush to have pride in Canada! 

One of the great sci fi writers, Robert Silverberg, wrote this very interesting essay about the "Golden Period" of sci fi, which generated much of the inspiration for sci-fi based prog compositions.  I found it very very interesting;

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 16:29
Hi,

I would not compare ... the real thing ... with just a lyric from a song ... that has very little meaning, when compared t a novel and some of the works from many of those Sience Fiction folks that created worlds, that we did not imagine.

Personally, I do not think that Rush belongs, simply because of some lyrics, and I wonder why some folks think that ... a lyric said ... and you think it is! Simon says ... and this was my point earlier on he othe thread discussing this ... none of the work by"Rush" fits as "science fiction", though I would never suggest that they were not influenced or enjoyed reading many of those works like we all did!

Pretty much no one, progressive or otherwise in rock music, ever really did science fiction ... even if some used the titles and the names for it!  Magma, would have been the closest to it!

Edited by moshkito - June 22 2013 at 16:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 16:41
Pfff, Magma is far from Sci-Fi: it's just the collection of the unhealthy fantasms of Vander.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 16:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I would not compare ... the real thing ... with just a lyric from a song ... that has very little meaning, when compared t a novel and some of the works from many of those Sience Fiction folks that created worlds, that we did not imagine.

Personally, I do not think that Rush belongs, simply because of some lyrics, and I wonder why some folks think that ... a lyric said ... and you think it is! Simon says ... and this was my point earlier on he othe thread discussing this ... none of the work by"Rush" fits as "science fiction", though I would never suggest that they were not influenced or enjoyed reading many of those works like we all did!

Pretty much no one, progressive or otherwise in rock music, ever really did science fiction ... even if some used the titles and the names for it!  Magma, would have been the closest to it!

I don't agree.  "The Story of i" by Patrick Moraz and "Olias of Sunhillow" by Jon Anderson meet my own standard for "sci fi prog."  

Space-rock like Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" also rise to my interpretation of music as sci fi.  

Many, like Rush, grab an idea here or there and weave it into their music, but at least they pay tribute to the genre in a meaningful and respectufl manner.  It's not great original sci-fi or anything, but at least they are not singing about elves & goblins!  
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 16:46
If they were Space Elves and Space Goblins, would it nevertheless be considered as Sci-Fi? Clown
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 17:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I don't agree.  "The Story of i" by Patrick Moraz and "Olias of Sunhillow" by Jon Anderson meet my own standard for "sci fi prog."  

Space-rock like Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" also rise to my interpretation of music as sci fi.  

Phaedra is not based on sci-fi. It's actually based on Greek Mythology, and not the first time that TD/Edgar have used those characters and words, for his inspiration ... and all it tells you is that Edgar is a well read person, that gains inspiration by the story ... and there is nothng really sci-fi about that.

Olias of Sunhillow ... I will accept to a degree, although I think that this is based on spiritual work, a lot more than it will ever have anything to do with Sci-i. AND that is far more with it for Jon, than otherwise.

The Story of I, I am not qualified to speak on. I have not even heard it, though in general, Patrick Moraz is a fine fine musician that I enjoy, and Refugee has forever been one of my top albums!

Again, Rush's use of "sci-fi" is just a lyric ... it's like me saying ... I believe in pot headed pixies ... and now you say that I am a psychedelic writer, just because it was in a sentence of mine! Or that I am a disciple of Herman Hesse because I mention the magic theatre so much ... but you would never consider that "the magic theater" is true, would you? And that Herman was just a writer?

Edited by moshkito - June 23 2013 at 10:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 17:17
Space Zombies is best of all!

Allocate 200 million.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 18:51

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Phaedra is not based on sci-fi. It's actually based on Greek Mythology, and not the first time that TD/Edgar have used those characters and words, for his inspiration ... and all it tells you is that Edgar is a well read person, that gains inspiration by the story ... and there is nothng really sci-fi about that. 

Fair enough, thank you!  I think their use of synth & technology pushes the envelope into sci-fi.  

Olias of Sunhillow ... I will accept to a degree, although I think that this is based on spiritual work, a lot more than it will ever have anything to do with Sci-i. AND that is ar more ith it for Jon, than otherwise.
 I'm not Jon Anderson, so I can't speak to his inspiration, but the story line involves an imperiled race and planet, to be saved by a man with flying machine capable of interplanetary travel, so I think it is solid sci-fi.

The Story of I, I am not qualified to speak on. I have not even heard it, though in general, Patrick Moraz is a finefine musician that I enjoy, and Refugee has forever been one of my top albums!

Really?  I cannot recommend "The Story of i" enough!  The sci-fi story is typical 1970's stuff, but Moraz' work and the contributions of Brazilian percussionists and other musicians (Ray Gomez on guitar, Jeff Berlin on bass etc.) is spectacular!  

Again, Rush's use of "sci-fi" is just a lyric ... it's like me saying ... I believe in pot headed pixies ... and now you say that I am a psychedelic writer, just because it was in a sentence of mine! Or thatI am a disciple of Herman Hesse because I mention the magic theatre so much ... but you would never consider that "the magic theater" is true, would you?

Quite honestly, I don't like Rush much at all!  However, since I started this thread on sci fi & prog, I believe they meet the very low threshold to be included.  

I'm not looking for Hugo-nominated works of music, but just exploring what seems to be a theme in prog, particularly in the early to mid 1970's.   

'The Story of i" is probably one of the best examples, but it isn't discussed much on this forum.  Thank you, Moshkito!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 19:57

Rush is absurd kitsch.

Smile

LOL

&lt;img src=

Edited by Atavachron - June 22 2013 at 19:58
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 03:53
2112 is not SF?Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>