Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: British sitcoms
    Posted: May 17 2016 at 11:22
It may have been mentioned already, but I've discovered another one that really appeals to my surreal dark humour bone: Psychoville.

It's from the people behind The League of Gentlemen.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 20:04
^^Well I certainly had no critical eye on Butterflies at the time....along with Danger Man, Fawlty Towers, Prisoner....these Brit shows made up the late night Stoner hour viewing.  I recall very little...but amongst those gathered they were well enjoyedLOL

Edited by Finnforest - May 16 2016 at 20:05

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 20:03
am quite aware of intergenerational British sitcoms and i'm quite surprised that no one has mention RED DWARF which is a jolly good splendid form of comedic entertainment. I am just jollified by its presence on my telly

Edited by siLLy puPPy - May 16 2016 at 20:04
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 19:51
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I remember watching "Butterflies" back in the day
All I really remember from that comes from the dark recesses my Pink Floyd-obsessed memory - Clare 'Great Gig In The Sky' Torry sang the theme tune (a cover of Dolly Parton's 'Love Is Like A Butterfly')...

Clap  Thanks for that one Dean.  As Guy Guden mentioned it was a really neat show that played here in the States for a few years.  I did not realize there was that Floyd connection!
Oh, I remember the program and some of the cast (Wendy Craig, Nicolas Lyndhurst & Geoffrey Palmer), but I didn't care for the concept of a bored housewife contemplating an affair as being a "situation" for a "comedy" so I didn't enjoy watching it and don't remember much about the content. Not that I have any objections the portrayal of adultery in sitcoms and dramas on moral grounds or anything as judgemental as that, it's just that as some people don't care for sci-fi or westerns, I don't care for dramas about broken or failing marriages.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 18:31

All I really remember from that comes from the dark recesses my Pink Floyd-obsessed memory - Clare 'Great Gig In The Sky' Torry sang the theme tune (a cover of Dolly Parton's 'Love Is Like A Butterfly')...

Clap  Thanks for that one Dean.  As Guy Guden mentioned it was a really neat show that played here in the States for a few years.  I did not realize there was that Floyd connection!

Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 16:28

BUTTERFLIES was a delightful show of a different generation that luckily showed here in California on
Los Angeles PBS.  The cast was great including Geoffrey Palmer, the writing smart and relationships touching.
I understand the producer of this show, as well as other popular British sitcoms just passed.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 13:21

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I finished watching Nathan Barley, at only six episodes, it made for a good short binge watch. That was intense. I watch a lot of dark comedies, but this pushed me at times. Well worth watching. Thanks for the recommendation.

"It's Swift as Jackass."
"Or even faster."

I actually realized when I started episode one that I had started watching it a couple days ago, but found it messing with my mental state too much at the time. :)

One more series for you to check out is Toast of London - a vehicle for the talents of Matt Berry that surprised everyone by earning Berry a BAFTA for his lead role. It also features Doon Mackichan who I've had a minor crush on since she first appeared on our screens in the late 80s.

More Berry can be found on the online BBC shorts Matt Berry Does... which were more than a little puerile but I found them hilarious.....

Seen Ghosts before; good to see it again. I've been Berry-picking of late. I also saw a dramatic short of his on vimeo called The Search (it's not comedic).

I highly enjoyed the first episode of the first series, which I watched on vimeo just now (haven't seen the pilot yet) of Toast of London. It was delightful. Thanks for the recommendation. Also loved the song at the end -- with Berry, as opposed to Barry Manilow, that's a bonus for me.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 12:10

Edited by Dean - May 16 2016 at 12:13
What?
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 08:59
Nathan Barley is amazing.

Everything Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker touch is 100% golden. I believe I have watched anything they have ever worked on. I need to catch up on their radio shows though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 08:58

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 07:34
It is a pity that because all the comedies in this list are so strong and many of them are inter-related The Green Wing has got over-shadowed and is not receiving the love I think it deserves. 

Fans of Dr Who will recognise Michelle Gomez (Missy - the female incarnation of The Master) as Staff Liaison Officer Sue White in this clip:

Edited by Dean - May 16 2016 at 07:36
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 07:04
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Been getting into Spaced lately.  Extras was my favourite.  Loved Saxondale, so I've been meaning to watch

Funny you should mention Saxondale, I just finished the last episode last night on Netflix. Man that is one highly under-rated sitcom! That last season was brilliant, and I had to keep rewinding many scenes over and over again, they had me in stitches. Knock-down hilarious stuff.

It's a terrific show., and that was such a good esiode.  What hooked me immediately when I saw it on TV the first time was hearing Focus.  Cause of it's music angle, it's one of those shows that i would think would be highly popular at a site like this.

I'm going to try to look into all the shows on this list.

Definitely; he's always mentioning Genesis, Floyd, etc. Yes, Focus's music features in some of the shows, as does Jethro Tull.
"Last one back to the bus prefers Genesis after Peter Gabriel left" (or something like that). Great show, I must get the DVD one day.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 06:38

I finished watching Nathan Barley, at only six episodes, it made for a good short binge watch. That was intense. I watch a lot of dark comedies, but this pushed me at times. Well worth watching. Thanks for the recommendation.

"It's Swift as Jackass."
"Or even faster."

I actually realized when I started episode one that I had started watching it a couple days ago, but found it messing with my mental state too much at the time. :)
One more series for you to check out is Toast of London - a vehicle for the talents of Matt Berry that surprised everyone by earning Berry a BAFTA for his lead role. It also features Doon Mackichan who I've had a minor crush on since she first appeared on our screens in the late 80s.

More Berry can be found on the online BBC shorts Matt Berry Does... which were more than a little puerile but I found them hilarious.

WARNING, this clip contains Gratuitous Bad Language so is NSFW:

What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 03:28

"It's Swift as Jackass."
"Or even faster."

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 21:54
^ Have to watch, it sounds hilarious from the Wiki page.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 21:44

I searched for this poll to see if Garth Marenghi's Darkplace was mentioned, or to mention it if it hadn't been... I loved it!

LOL. I love that clip. Another really good one with Ayoade is "Nathan Barley." There's only one season - 6 episodes I reckon - but it's highly enjoyable. it was made by Charlie Brooker (Brass Eye, Black Mirror) and Chris Morris (the legend), stars Julian Barrat (The Mighty Boosh), and others turn up, including Noel Fielding and Rhys Thomas. Last time I checked, all the episodes were on Youtube.

Excellent, thanks! Great list of names. Now I know what to watch next.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 21:31

I searched for this poll to see if Garth Marenghi's Darkplace was mentioned, or to mention it if it hadn't been... I loved it!

LOL. I love that clip. Another really good one with Ayoade is "Nathan Barley." There's only one season - 6 episodes I reckon - but it's highly enjoyable. it was made by Charlie Brooker (Brass Eye, Black Mirror) and Chris Morris (the legend), stars Julian Barrat (The Mighty Boosh), and others turn up, including Noel Fielding and Rhys Thomas. Last time I checked, all the episodes were on Youtube.

Edited by jude111 - May 15 2016 at 21:32
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 20:53
I searched for this poll to see if Garth Marenghi's Darkplace was mentioned, or to mention it if it hadn't been. I have posted in this poll before, but didn't remember and discovered it a couple of days ago on youtube after re-watching AD/BC: A Rock Opera. I loved it! This is one of the best uses of song too in a show (chilling):

Don't if anyone mentioned the (spoof) talk-show spin-off which I found really funny, Man to man With Dean Learner (all episodes available on youtube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWQRlvy5Gv4

Also watched an ep of Snuff Box and The Mighty Boosh the other day, though it didn't hit my love button immediately like Darkplace did.

Since the IT Crowd is on Netflix, I've been watching that with my wife. She likes it a lot; sometimes it's hilarious.

Another fave of mine is Brasseye, though I probably mentioned that already, which I enjoyed while living out of a van in a wifi hotspot some years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYSqqW6hH0w

Edited by Logan - May 15 2016 at 20:57
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2016 at 08:22
Dont know any of this sitcoms.

The more recent I've seen was Vicious, with Ian Mckellen. Quite good.

From the oldies: Fawlty Towers.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2016 at 07:56
The list suggests we are voting for British Comedy TV of a more recent generation, which is fine.  So listing Are You Being Served? and Dad's Army seems the topic/poll should be more encompassing.

So for the group listed, I find a lot of very clever comedy.  I'm going for Black Books 'cause it gives me that *cosmic giggle* and feels like a Fawlty Towers for a new generation.  Garth Marenghi's Darkplace also amuses.

If we are going back in time, Spike Milligan's Q series is a guilty pleasure at times, as well as Peter Cook and
Dudley Moore's Not Only, But Also.

Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>