Topic ClosedGoblin - Melbourne, 14th July 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goblin - Melbourne, 14th July 2013
    Posted: July 14 2013 at 21:02
GOBLIN - BILLBOARD THE VENUE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 14TH 2013.

Just a quick review of Goblin’s return show to Melbourne last night, July 14th 2013, playing at Billboard The Venue!

The night kicked off with a great solo spot from The Night Terror’s Miles Brown. They were the Australian band who supported Goblin late last year at the Melbourne Town Hall, but this time the man was on his own, and he delivered an immersive, pounding set of thick electronic soundscapes, wavering Theremin moods, dark New Wave pop and pounding dancebeats. Terrific stuff, and the performance of his upcoming single was hugely promising.

Then the Italian masters of horror soundtracks arrived on the stage to tear through an almost two hour set of various classic pieces that many fans of their movie work no doubt enjoyed. Unlike the Town Hall performance which allowed the band access to the massive church organ, this time Claudio Simonetti performed entirely on synths, flanked on the other side by other Goblin mainstay Maurizio Guarini, although both were frequently drowned out by Massimo Morante’s searing electric guitar playing. His playing was a little more ragged and heavy, creating a truly draining and overwhelming performance! Bass player Bruno Previtali's punchy bass added to the heaviness, and hard drummer Titta Tani was also given plenty of moments of quiet and loose subtle improvisation.

Although the track list was frequently similar to the previous Melbourne show, there were longer medleys of albums with frequent improvisations and jamming sections. The band also made great use of projected clips of their movies on massive screens behind them, such as `Profondo Rosso’, `Suspiria’, `Dawn of the Dead’ and `Phenomena’, and all were met with great response from the fans. I was wrapped to hear plenty of their album `Roller’ performed too, as it's one of my absolute favourite progressive albums!

Last year Claudio mentioned to the crowd that their Town Hall show was a real one off for them, being the first time the band had been able to perform their music live with a proper church organ. This time around they also had a special opportunity, with Miles Brown returning to the stage to add some Theremin moodiness to `Phenomena’ (at least I think that’s what they were playing, as I haven’t listened to that album in years, but it showed scenes from the movie behind them at the time).

All in all, a great night for the crowd, with the band delivering another superb performance of outstanding professional technicality with great humour!

With great difficulty I and a few others were able to get some LP’s/CD’s signed by the band (much to the annoyance of a pushy little security guard who was getting extremely pissed we weren’t moving on!), and it just closed the night on a final wonderful note. I should also thank the good company of my best mate Harry Sunto (Archives member Stratcat) and his nephew Lex. I also hope that guy who was desperate to get his rare Suspiria LP signed left with his mission accomplished!

I'll add a setlist when it shows up online, as well as hopefully some much better pictures. I took about thirty but the coloured lights rendered most of them too blurry to be of much use. Hopefully some video clips might show up soon as well!

Thank you Goblin, return any time!

UPDATE: And now here's the setlist:

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 16 2013 at 11:17
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 21:44
Ooooooh!!!! I'm really jealous right now, but I am so happy for you.
2hr set list, great theatrics and a signed copy of Roller on Vinyl.
Micheal....color me Green with envy!! Beautiful man. Thanks for the cool review.
Glad you had a great time. Pic look amazing.
Still jealous though.....
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 00:41
Looks and sounds better than the Nektar gig I attended whilst in NYC - Mike, you lucky thing.......Thumbs Up
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 00:47

That is so awesome! You are so lucky seeing them twice already. Thanks for the review.

How many people were there? 
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 00:54
Well, Sagi, my above mentioned friend Stratcat, who bought the tickets, noted that the numbers on our tickets were 651-653....and although we were down the front row, we looked back and noticed there was easily that, if not closer to 800 people??

Very surprised that they pulled those sort of numbers, but then again, there's also movie fans, heavy music fans, horror junkies...and general prog rock nutters like us lol! So that's people coming from pretty different backgrounds.

Tom, what made the Nektar gig so disappointing? Wish I'd had the opportunity to see them
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 01:16
Well, having no light show (or any sort of fancy lighting really) was a bummer from the get go.  The band were lucky to have played for about 1hr 20min, and I couldn't make out Lux Vibratus' bass much (yes, that's the name he goes by) and the keyboards were a little buried in places.  Perhaps the actual venue didn't allow the nuances and dynamics to shine through, though the set-list was full of goodies from their 70's albums.
Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash performed an impressive set so I am now a fan of them LOL
I still enjoyed it but was probably expecting more.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 01:22
Nektar were known for a really impressive lightshow/psychedelic effects in the 70's, weren't they?

Still, you DID get to see them, pretty cool!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 03:04
Michael, next time this is the tattoo Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 03:14
Pierre, you think I should get the Goblin `Roller' Devil tattoed?!

I'm too superstitious, my friend, must be a result of my Christian upbringing!
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 03:39
If only I was 18 I could have gone to this Goblin gig. Very jealous indeed.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 03:49
Quirky, I'm not really even sure why it was `over 18's, other than the fact that some of the movies projected on the screen behind them contained footage of horror films!

I suspect they'll come out again, they seem to get a good turnout, so I'm sure you'll get another opportunity!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 07:22
Awe man. I have the urge to recite the classic, nerdy teenager in the Simpsons. 'ahhhh excuse me sir, are you over 18?? Ahhhhhhhhhhhwwweee.'
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 09:51
Michael...You have seen them twice in about a year...just not fair Cry.  Sounds like a great show!

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash performed an impressive set so I am now a fan of them LOL

I am jealous...I love Wishbone Ash's Argus album...one of my favorites.  Never get tired of it. 
Curious, was Andy Powell with the band on that tour?

Edited by AEProgman - July 15 2013 at 09:52
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 01:01
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Michael...You have seen them twice in about a year...just not fair Cry.  Sounds like a great show!

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I am jealous...I love Wishbone Ash's Argus album...one of my favorites.  Never get tired of it. 
Curious, was Andy Powell with the band on that tour?
I am sure the only original member of the band was indeed Martin T.  Andy Powell runs 'Wishbone Ash' seperately, and what I witnessed was 'Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash' (due to legal b.s.).  They played lots of great songs.  I'd never heard them before this gig but knew of them for decades.  I can see how Steve Harris almost moulded his band Iron Maiden on the track 'Throw Down The Sword' alone - rhythms, melodies, structure, instrumentation etc.  I couldn't help but notice how strongly the music of W.A. influenced/inspired the young Harris.  Marty is a very majestic bassist - he came out in a pure white suit with his pure white Gibson Thunderbird bass and played it fantastically.  I was very happy I caught Nektar but without original members 'Mo' Moore and 'Taff' Freeman (bass & keys, respectively) I didn't quite feel the magic. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 01:15
Tom, that's beginning to sound like when we saw Yes, and support Sebastian Hardie blew them off the stage....well, at least until `the incident'....   
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 01:21
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Tom, that's beginning to sound like when we saw Yes, and support Sebastian Hardie blew them off the stage....well, at least until `the incident'....   
Yeah - dumb f**kers pulled the plug during the finale to 'Openings'.  Never forget, nor forgive the musicians union for doing that.  And Yes pretty much fumbled through their set, though Wakeman was spot-on and fun to watch.  We got to hear 'Clap' on electric guitar (from memory) which was novel.  My friend Jules has that gig captured but he never dubbed me a copy......Angry
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 11:21
Just updated the setlist.

It's proving very hard to find any better photos online so far...will keep at it.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 12:56
"Zaratozom" and "Magic Thriller"...cool!!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 20:37
Yep, I LOVE `Magic Thriller', Verslibre!

It kicks off the shows, and live it has an added aggression and heaviness that pumps the crowd and the band up! Good stuff!

The album it's from, 2005's `Back To The Goblin', is really pretty good! Maurizio Guarini's keyboards frequently have a more proper symphonic prog sound on that one! It's all decent, but like most of their albums, there's a couple of aboslute stunning pieces to be found on it.
janyolter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Spamkistani

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 07:12
This is so awesome! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>