Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMike Oldfield Interview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2013 at 23:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

and also isn't this actually self contradictory??!LOL

How did it feel to do an interview in which the interviewer made no mention of Tubular Bells?

[laughs] My God, yes. It’s true. Unbelievable. That’s the very first time that’s happened. Normally, the first question is “Why did you write Tubular Bells?” That’s when I kind of crawl underneath my desk, because there was no specific reason for why I wrote it. But see? We did an excellent interview without you mentioning Tubular Bells. It is possible.

Yeah, that is kind of funny. I can't really blame him. On the one hand, I don't think I'll ever listen to a Mike Oldfield record as good as Tubular Bells, at least to my ears, anyway. On the other, it'd be crazy to say that he doesn't have any other good records. I picked up Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn a few days ago and thought those were good. 
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 06:29
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Quirky Turkey Quirky Turkey wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Oh, I'm a bit disapointed about learning that Ommadawn actually means idiot. The name sounded really beautiful.

Well you may like this: The lyrics of the repeated section in Ommadawn Part 1 are "Daddy's in bed, The cat's drinking milk, I'm an idiot, And I'm laughing." Apparently Mike got the singer to write down the first things she could think of and then it was translated into Irish.

it is a way that humor sometimes is expressed. I doubt that anyone in that part of the world, would not have enjoyed the joke, and then laugh as the rest of big city boys and girls that didn't know a thing. On top of it, Mike has always done a couple of fun songs, and we don't think he has humor!

AMAROK, to me, is the best thing Mike has ever done, 2nd to none. There are a lot of pieces I always can listen and enjoy now and then, but none as lively and enjoyable as AMOROK. I had originally heard that most of it wasn't even composed, or thought about ... it just was done and that was that. And in so many ways, this turns upside down the "progressive" concept, which is in itself a massively great thing to do ... you can create a new world by peeeeeing on the old ideas! Heck, Fellini did ... why not Oldfield?

Indeed although after reading the interview I realised the influence of 80's King Crimson in that opening section which hadn't occurred to me before. It all goes round  and there nothing new under the sun.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 06:36
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

and also isn't this actually self contradictory??!LOL

How did it feel to do an interview in which the interviewer made no mention of Tubular Bells?

[laughs] My God, yes. It’s true. Unbelievable. That’s the very first time that’s happened. Normally, the first question is “Why did you write Tubular Bells?” That’s when I kind of crawl underneath my desk, because there was no specific reason for why I wrote it. But see? We did an excellent interview without you mentioning Tubular Bells. It is possible.

Yeah, that is kind of funny. I can't really blame him. On the one hand, I don't think I'll ever listen to a Mike Oldfield record as good as Tubular Bells, at least to my ears, anyway. On the other, it'd be crazy to say that he doesn't have any other good records. I picked up Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn a few days ago and thought those were good. 

Tubular Bells is choc full of goodies , so much so that its almost impossible to take it in. It begat all those other albums so is the 'Daddy'. My taste though seems to veer more towards the Incantations style where there are less ideas and more texture I think. Its all interesting though.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 11:59

Indeed although after reading the interview I realised the influence of 80's King Crimson in that opening section which hadn't occurred to me before. It all goes round  and there nothing new under the sun.

I don't think that it is as much an influence, as it is a method of communication. When you hear the Kevin Ayers' albums with Mike, you will find that the guitar strength is also there ... it might have come from an 18 year old fascinated with someone that put out such a monster guitar sound ... but heck, this was already in place at the Fillmore in San Fran for a year or more, when you heard ... Cheap Thrills!

But aside from the hearing other things, that might (might!) influence you, in the end, it is about you and the musicians you are with and the learning and sharing with them ... when I listen to the Dr. Dream album, I do not hear a King Crimson connection ... I hear an album by Kevin Ayers ... and I think the personality and tone of the music and lyrics was well defined ... to make it come alive, and I never thought that it had any connection or feeling that brought out ... another artist ... it's its own, and I think that Mike deserves that credit, though he is a year or two behind it.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 01:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I don't think that it is as much an influence, as it is a method of communication. When you hear the Kevin Ayers' albums with Mike, you will find that the guitar strength is also there ... it might have come from an 18 year old fascinated with someone that put out such a monster guitar sound ... but heck, this was already in place at the Fillmore in San Fran for a year or more, when you heard ... Cheap Thrills!

But aside from the hearing other things, that might (might!) influence you, in the end, it is about you and the musicians you are with and the learning and sharing with them ... when I listen to the Dr. Dream album, I do not hear a King Crimson connection ... I hear an album by Kevin Ayers ... and I think the personality and tone of the music and lyrics was well defined ... to make it come alive, and I never thought that it had any connection or feeling that brought out ... another artist ... it's its own, and I think that Mike deserves that credit, though he is a year or two behind it.

Yeah I guess that's true

and those connections to Magma as well?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 10:42

and those connections to Magma as well?

I doubt it.

The one thing we forget, is that in those days, even though it is not as visible today as it was yesterday, you flipped the radio dial and you heard 5 languages ... or 6! IN EUROPE!

This is not the case in America.

Thus, being a bit more familiar with the other cultures, made it easier for the arts and the music to be shared in Europe a lot more than we conceive.

You and I talk about Amon Duul, Can, and Oldfield ... did you ever realize that Godard, Truffaut, Wenders, Herzog, Bunuel ... and many others ... went through the same thing? ... and no one was concerned with "influence" per se. But you take one little piece of music, and we automatically think it came from one place ... and that is way too simplistic to be understood properly.

In the late 60's, Carl Orff was HUGE when it came to Carmina Burana ... the anti-establisment sentiment in the piece went well with all the turbulence in the 60's ... and in my years, AT FIRST, Magma was the same thing done with ELECTRIC instruments ... and the vocals ...were out of this world!

Now, Mike saying that it was an influence, is almost a joke ... Magma, rarely featured guitarists, and the main reason why? ... Christian never wanted to take the focus off the completeness of the music, and he didn't want to have the choral parts fighting a guitar for placement in the music ... and he said so when we talked in 1999 ... he says it wasn't intentional at first ... it just happened that way!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12