FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Symphony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 17:00
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

I don't really know a lot of symphonies. Actually I just don't know much music at all, but I guess it's just my age (15) being the main reason, because I'm wanting to learn a lot more music including digging some classic classical symphonies. Though what I could recommend is the new composer Christopher Tin. He writes classical crossover albums for orchestra and choir (in ancient languages). Made just 2 of 'em, but really worth some good listens. It's a sound I instantly fell in love with!
His first album "Calling All Dawns" is the easiest to get into, including his (by far) most popular track "Baba Yetu", but IMO not quite his best one though.
The second "The Drop That Contained the Sea" album is more... mysterious, but also more complicated and needs more listens to appreciate.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check youtube for him.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 22:21
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Thought i'd start a thread for specifically The Symphony, those by any composer, from any period, and interpreted by any orchestra or conductor. I would love to hear from other members who love symphonies!

Greetings! I must confess I had not ever scrolled down our forum page and I'm happy I found your post -The Symphony-
Yes, I must agree every time I listen to Bruckner is like an event horizon! And I save him for special times. At the moment I've pulled out this marvelous recording and performance of Sibelius Symphony No. 5 / Leonard Bernstein-New York Philharmonic (1965) Vinyl The recording was in honor of Sibelius centenary I've heard many recordings of this work but this one gets my vote.

Smile

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 07:56
^Welcome to the thread, Rando! That Bernstein-Sibelius 5 is one of my favourite versions of the work, only rivalled by the pioneering recording of it by conductor Robert Kajanus in the 1930s. Glad to hear you really love Bruckner.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 07:58

Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

I don't really know a lot of symphonies. Actually I just don't know much music at all, but I guess it's just my age (15) being the main reason, because I'm wanting to learn a lot more music including digging some classic classical symphonies. Though what I could recommend is the new composer Christopher Tin. He writes classical crossover albums for orchestra and choir (in ancient languages). Made just 2 of 'em, but really worth some good listens. It's a sound I instantly fell in love with!
His first album "Calling All Dawns" is the easiest to get into, including his (by far) most popular track "Baba Yetu", but IMO not quite his best one though.
The second "The Drop That Contained the Sea" album is more... mysterious, but also more complicated and needs more listens to appreciate.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check youtube for him.
I was listening to Calling All Stations today, quite nice and accessible, I have a feeling it will grow on me. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 17:41
A new acquisition of mine, Beethoven 9 by Karajan from 1983, which I have never heard, yet-

Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 07:07

I only listen to the Stravinsky catalog conducted by the composer - "Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky" series. One exception goes to Antal Dorati's (conducting the Minneapolis Symphony Orch.) frenetic version of Stravinsky's "The Rite Of Spring." The fastest "Rite" I've ever heard! Dare i call it the "Meth" version! LOL

Below is Stravinsky's "Pulcinella" (Themes by Pergolesi) conducted by the composer - From his Neo-Classical period - It's the definitive recording and brilliant performance by orchestra and soloists.

Clap
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 09:38

A new acquisition of mine, Beethoven 9 by Karajan from 1983, which I have never heard, yet-

What's the verdict? 
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 13:50

A landmark recording Leonard Bernstein & The New York Philharmonic truly captured the genius of American composer Charles Ives (1874-1954) in this 1966 recording of Ives' Second Symphony - Although his music was largely ignored during his lifetime, and his works rarely performed, it was Bernstein who brought Ives music to the fore - Ives incorporated American patriotic songs, hymns, traditional songs, and even the melodies of Stephen Foster with references to Bach, Beethoven and Brahms as exemplified in his Second Symphony - Ives was also among the first composers to use polytonality, polyrhythms, and tone clusters foreshadowing many of the musical innovations of the 20th century. Just listen to the bombastic finale and final chord in this symphony! (Sorry if this sounded like a lecture! LOL)

Smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 16:44
^I have heard and quite like that recording, and I would also suggest the first recording ever made of Ive's Second, done by F. Charles Adler conducting, from the early 1950s. A forgotten conductor, Bernstein looked up to Adler's recordings of Mahler, and visited Adler's widow to tell her so.

Edited by presdoug - September 30 2015 at 16:45
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 01:15

^I have heard and quite like that recording, and I would also suggest the first recording ever made of Ive's Second, done by F. Charles Adler conducting, from the early 1950s. A forgotten conductor, Bernstein looked up to Adler's recordings of Mahler, and visited Adler's widow to tell her so.

Yes, thank you for reminding me of Adler - I don't have any of his recordings-only what I'd heard at the public library, and the few they had were not in very good condition. I understand he studied with Gustav Mahler, but was not aware of the Bernstein connection -

This time I pulled out something completely different ( not in the symphonic category if its permissible) - One of my favorite solo artists, virtuoso harpist Nicanor Zabaleta (Spain 1907-1993) - "The Harp: (Works For Harp)" [Deutsche Grammophon] Vinyl - A sort of compilation of various periods of music from C.P.E. Bach to Prokofiev & Hindemith -
Zabaleta's performance is impeccable, passionate, and beyond! He was the god and master of the Harp...

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 01:45
Oh, Charles Ives. I recommend the 4th. 45 minutes of serenity now with a slight surprise on it's final chord. Had a sense of humour he did. It's also really worth it to compare his Central Park After Dark with the Univers Zero adaptation Central Belgium in The Dark from Crawling Wind.

For amazing ideas all over the place - Anton Bruckner's 4th Symphony. But there are so many symphonies and concertos and everything else one has almost to pick carefully and choose if one's time is limited for listening - like mine sad to say.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 17:31
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Oh, Charles Ives. I recommend the 4th. 45 minutes of serenity now with a slight surprise on it's final chord. Had a sense of humour he did. It's also really worth it to compare his Central Park After Dark with the Univers Zero adaptation Central Belgium in The Dark from Crawling Wind.

For amazing ideas all over the place - Anton Bruckner's 4th Symphony. But there are so many symphonies and concertos and everything else one has almost to pick carefully and choose if one's time is limited for listening - like mine sad to say.

Yes, thank you for recommending Charles Ives' 4th, which I have with Leopold Stokowski conducting The American Symphony Orchestra - And yes Ives' sense of humor lies in his disdain for conventional tonality which culminated in his 4th - His 'tongue in cheek' references or quotes to American folk songs, hymns, patriotic songs and marches were often included in his works but in a way only he could-
I love the 4th Symphony despite it's complexity, polytonality, and rhythmic clashes, and it requires two conductors, but underneath all those layers was a simplicity often hidden (if that makes any sense!)
Not for faint ears it can be a challenge for those discovering Ives for the first time.
Central Park In The Dark, (along with 'The Fourth Of July,' and 'The Unanswered Question,') are masterpieces - I'll have to check out 'Crawling Wind.'

With Bruckner's 4th Symphony (Romantic), I'm still not decided which recording and conductor I like best - I understand Bruckner composed different versions and revisions of his 4th - Maybe presdoug can recommend something -
And True! There is never enough time!

Smile

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 17:35
^ Great photo

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 01:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Great photo

Yes it is - Always felt there should be a museum for album art & design
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 06:44
^Thanks, Rando, for the Harp recording information. I quite like solo harp, and will check that one out. I have a dear recording, "The Fascination By The Harp" by harpist Anna Lelkes that is just delightful, where she plays works by Handel, Bach,Dussek, Glinka, etc.

^ I have never heard Ive's 4th Symphony, guys, and will have to remedy that! Thanks for the recommendations. I would also highly recommend the world premiere recording of Ive's 1st Symphony, conducted by Morton Gould. It is a thrilling performance.

^Love you guys so much for your interest and perspectives on Bruckner's 4th. I have very many recordings of that symphony, and it is a challenge to pick a single favourite, as it has so many facets to consider in it, and so much to offer. I sort of want to neglect to recommend an historical recording right off the bat as a focus, since it took me literally decades of listening to really "get" older recordings,, but, so be it, it is where my heart lies, Hans Knappertsbusch's 1944 account with the Berlin Philharmonic. Though recorded during a tense time and place in the world, Kna's version is germanic in all the positive senses of that word, thunderous in a kind of Wagnerian sense, but also lyrical in an almost Schubertian way. It is not to be missed!

Edited by presdoug - October 18 2015 at 06:52
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 08:37
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 15:21
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I noticed it reads "A BBC recording." Curious if its a live performance recording as the BBC is known for their outstanding programing. I will definitely look for this album -

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 15:29
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 16:46

^Thanks, Rando, for the Harp recording information. I quite like solo harp, and will check that one out. I have a dear recording, "The Fascination By The Harp" by harpist Anna Lelkes that is just delightful, where she plays works by Handel, Bach,Dussek, Glinka, etc.

^ I have never heard Ive's 4th Symphony, guys, and will have to remedy that! Thanks for the recommendations. I would also highly recommend the world premiere recording of Ive's 1st Symphony, conducted by Morton Gould. It is a thrilling performance.

Oh you are so lucky to have this Harp recording by Anna Lelkes - Her recordings are difficult to find as some are out of print - A friend of mine only has a CD burned copy of her "Romantic Harp" album he acquired from another friend - That's the only recording I've heard by her - And yes, "delightful" is an accurate description of her playing - I'm going to have to dig deep to find her at our vinyl and record shops around here - I usually end up having to go into San Francisco in my many "search quests" for these things! (I'm only about two hours from there) -
Some very interesting (and historic) trivia about Anna Lelkes (as told to me by my friend) - She is the first woman to be given (or was allowed!)  full membership, (as a playing member), in the prestigious Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra's 155-year  (only male musicians allowed)  history!

Yes, Ives' 4th Symphony is Not like his 2nd or 3rd symphonies - I've read music critics (and musicologists) describe the 4th as his ultimate achievement - with (program notes) asking the philosophical questions of "what, why, and eternal" purpose of man in this life...

And thank you, I will look up the world premiere recording of Ives' 1st Symphony w/Morton Gould -
And yes I perfectly understand your decision in recommending a recording of Bruckner's 4th Symphony - So true you can spend a lifetime listening and acquiring such things - its just too personal & subjective...

Smile

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 20:18
^Rando, just heard again the Kna recording from '44 of Bruckner's Fourth, and I must say it really is the greatest version on record, bar none! That it's historical only adds to it's appeal, really.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>