Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 35>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 19:37
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I never understood the big attraction to The Moody Blues. I mean they've had a few nice songs, but I just can't place them on the same plateau as Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, or Pink Floyd.

Know what you mean, but can't deny their early influence

Sure, I mean in some circles I'll wager Days of Future Passed is revered. I mean Nights In White Satin is a beautiful song. Love that one to pieces, but I have a foggy recollection of the rest of the music on that album. 
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 22:39
It was special for the late 60's...after 5 -10 years or so not as much since it was 'overshadowed' by more complex and dynamic albums,  but Tuesday Afternoon and Nights In White Satin are two of the best things they ever did and two of the best early prog songs ever written imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 01:36
Question is the only thing by the Moodies that I love. I did have a copy of Days Of Future Passed and but for the two tracks mentioned above there was little to get your teeth into. That said it was an important move forward by recording a band with an orchestra.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 10:09
I discovered "Days Of Future Passed  in 68' at age 12. I had my eye open for any British Invasion band that was turning Psychedelic or in the case of the Moodies..Progressive. The start of change began toward the end of 65' and filtered it's way heavily through 66'. I was a late bloomer, discovering it in 68" ...but it was rather difficult at age 12 to keep up with the times in music without transportation. I loved certain sections of the album and unfortunately for me...I struggled with it. I love how Justin Hayward walked into a field ..sat down..and wrote "Tuesday Afternoon". Some people define this as experimentation , but I consider it a practice. Many early proggers were doing this sort of thing and as a result we had timeless music. The creation of work itself and the concept influenced/inspired.. tons of bands/solo artists globally to travel the same path , but attempt to express their work with even more uniqueness. It's a very important work because of that. That can't be denied and it goes down in history as a very innovative creation in Rock music. As then, it was known/labeled as Rock music while the Progressive Rock movement was evolving.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 07:00
What's so special about "Spectrum"?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 10:31
Certainly a classic fusion album but I was always a little disappointed in the songs themselves but not the playing which was excellent by all.
Bolin should have stayed with the fusion genre  and imho his guitar abilities  were wasted in Deep Purple.
Haquin
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 12:04
It"s very rare to hear this side to Tommy Bolin's guitar playing. That being the reason why it is special to me. I was never particularly fond of the writing on Spectrum. Billy Cobham...as a true unique writer blossomed on Crosswinds. 
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 03:45
What's so special about "Warrior On The Edge Of Time"?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 10:37
Reading a science fiction novel by the fireplace on a stormy night is my own personal setting for fantasy. Before making any cruel thrusts about Warrior......try the setting first and conclude later. The album is like a visit to the theatre to watch a Science fiction play. Michael Moorcock is an amazing writer and combine that with dancers, light show, fire eaters, and actors on the stage...and the presentation is an interesting experience for the audience. This was actually accomplished on the Chronicles of the Black Sword tour and several other Moorcock influenced Hawkwind releases could have easily followed with a tour like Black Sword. Warrior, along with other Moorcock pieces remain to be divided from Hawkwinds other works. With Moorcock, they are a different band completely. Unlike the other genius science fiction writer Robert Calvert who made accurate predictions about our society, our world in the 21st century within his songs containing these messages and warnings about the future.....and all carefully brought about through a story. The band's musicianship at best has always remained adequate according to Dave Brock, but Simon House and Langton are evidence that such a theory is questionable. The band has less to do with musicianship and more to do with a presentation of a poetic crafty story. However on many albums....fine musicians are present to enhance the musical dynamics to the story. Warrior was the band's first attempt to compose themes around a very dark poetic story. They were heading in that musical direction on Hall of the Mountain Grill, but Warrior was a serious concept album and their earlier style of songwriting was now reflected on instead of being ...what it was and fully applied. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 10:43
Never cared for the album or band.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 01:27
It doesn't have the technical complexity and virtuosity expected of prog rock, but rather aims to stimulate images of a fantasy dream world. It has always conjured up for me feelings of excitement, vastness and awe, things that could be happening elsewhere in the immensities of space and time.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 13:17
Spacey, trippy, proggy, with sci-fi and fantasy lyrics.....what's not to like?
Granted these guys were not the best musicians around but imo they made up for that with the weirdness and fun of their music.
Cool
Haquin
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 13:45
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Got some pretty great songs - "The Demented Man" is Hawkwind's best for me, and the whole album is so consistent. Awesome lyrics and themes too - their only real masterpiece, and definitely special Smile
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 00:44
I think it is a great album, maybe isnt incredible but contains very nice songs. And It isnt so experimental as other space rock albums like first PFs Ozric Tentacles etc but it definitely sounds like this genre. It is really well balanced piece and I think it cause "Warrior..." is somehow special.
Edit
Oh so btw I'd like to ask for recommendation for Hawkwind. The only albums I know are Warrior and live Space Ritual.

Edited by melotron98 - May 06 2014 at 14:01
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 03:30
What's so special about "Kind Of Blue"?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:15
I don't remember Kind Of Blue . I recall people saying he was an over the hill burn out Be Bop player working with young jazz rock players just for the purpose of survival in his own career. Ironically by working with younger musicians like John McLaughlin, Tony Williams, and the ridiculous list in its entirety, it change the style of jamming. Tribute to Jack Johnson and B Brew had this unforgettable avant garde approach . The chords, the style of improvisation later developed new creative styles which blended jazz with Rock , Classical, and avant garde in bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra.. Weather Report, and RTF. Miles was an innovator with an open minded attitude ...allowing these younger musicians to solo on his records and producing a new genre of music with the likes of Hancock, Cobham, Corea. And so he was like the God father to the scene. Miles was therefore responsible for changing the way musicians improvised and also the way music could be structured around it. When you listen to Sketches of Spain, it's easy to assume the trumpet playing derives from formal training. I personally feel that Miles" hard devotion to diversity caused him to hear something new/different in music and he was very determined to experiment with that
..........during a point in time when people were scared of it.....and only because the vibe or characteristics of his music were too freaky for people to accept. 

Edited by TODDLER - May 06 2014 at 10:21
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 11:48

What's so special about "Kind Of Blue"?

Pretty outdated now to be honest. It's important to the evolution of music, and I do own one, but it doesn't warm to me at all. It's interesting but there isn't really any life to it - a pretty bland record really.

And also, it is "The Demented Man" Tongue

Edited by Xonty - May 06 2014 at 11:49
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 11:56
I don't understand or appreciate jazz well enough to know why Kind of Blue is as great as it is.  I do know it sounds good, and can chill out a room almost immediately.  It's emblematic of everything that I (and maybe others) think of when I hear the word "jazz".  A more scholarly response might make reference to its modal soloing approach (minimal chord changes, just changing the scales within those chords), but I don't know enough about what came before to say how revolutionary this may or may not have been.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:40
I kind of compare it to In the Court. It's impact on a genre can be discussed all day but i still just don't think that the level of influence it had doesn't equal the amount of enjoyment i have listening to it. An important record, but one i find rather boring. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 13:19

The atmosphere and quality of some of the songs. Of course in Hawkwind tradition they struggled to sustain quality from the start to finish of the album.

Assault & Battery/Golden Void, Demented man, Magnu and Spiral Galaxy are all Hawkwind at their very best. Kings of Speed and some of the poetry leave me cold however.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 35>