Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 06:48
CTTE is a five-star album no doubt, but Fragile is closer to my heart aesthetically. CTTE doesn't have the most lovely Five % for Nothing and The Fish. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 07:37
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I saw the CTTE show in Chicago on 22 September, 1972, and the band performed the entire work flawlessly.  Squire was all over the stage, he had a roadie dedicated to feeding his bass guitar chord & then reeling it back in when he moved the other direction!!   Squire would sing, play bass and bass pedals simultaneously.  
The Taurus bas pedals were not released until 1974-1975. It had to be effects pedals.

True. I never heard bass pedals in Yes music.
"That was an unaccompanied bass pedal solo from Christopher Squire".

I think I'm getting muddled up somewhere.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 10:07
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

H to the He is a much better album, and the band that made it is much better than Yes.

VDGG might have been as good as Yes if only they could have found a decent singer.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 11:56
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I saw the CTTE show in Chicago on 22 September, 1972, and the band performed the entire work flawlessly.  Squire was all over the stage, he had a roadie dedicated to feeding his bass guitar chord & then reeling it back in when he moved the other direction!!   Squire would sing, play bass and bass pedals simultaneously.  
The Taurus bas pedals were not released until 1974-1975. It had to be effects pedals.

True. I never heard bass pedals in Yes music.
"That was an unaccompanied bass pedal solo from Christopher Squire".

I think I'm getting muddled up somewhere.

From interview with Chris:

Q: Are you still using the same Taurus bass pedals? Were they ever modified? Does your wife complain about rattling the windows when you play them at home?
A: [laughs] I don’t play them at home, so no problems there. The original bass pedals that I started off with were actually made by a company called Dewtron, which was an Italian company, and I believe they were made in the sixties. And then later on, Moog came out with the Taurus pedals and I also acquired a set of those, and I used to combine the sounds from both pedals through a special switching box I had made. However, in time, once I settled on a sound I really liked, which was a combination of both units, I ended up sampling the desired sound, and to this day, I trigger the sampled sound when YES play live shows.

so yes, it could be that he was playing the Dewtron pedals back then
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 13:53
This seems to be the device used by Squire and also Mike Rutherford until Moog released the Taurus

DEWTRON MISTER BASSMAN

apparently they were also played by Jon Anderson with his hands on Yours Is No Disgrace in the Tony Kaye era

Played by Rutherford

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 15:52
^ That deserves an addition in your "An Illustrated Guide to Prog Rock Instruments" thread.
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:11
There are so many varied opinions on this album on this forum. All I can say is if  you lived the music back then and saw the early Yes tours like I did it was magical.
Deafmoon
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:25
I will say that, while CTTE has three great pieces, I can't say they do anything more for me together than they do alone. In contrast, the underrated Tales is a much more cohesive, rewarding album as a whole IMO.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:33
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

What's so special about Close to the Edge?  Let's see:

1 - Jon Anderson's crazy lyrical imagery creates a natural sense of fantasy and wonderment
2 - Steve Howe plays guitar leads like no one before him had.  sounds like mice scampering up the fretboard
3 - The album contained three epic pieces and none of them were boring
4 - The four parts of the title suite have funny names if you imagine them as pieces about constipation (Total Mass Retain!  The Solid Time of Change!  I Get Up, I Get Down!)

LOL

I laughed so hard when I read this earlier on my phone, I think a little wee came out. Thanks Stiiv!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 16:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

H to the He is a much better album, and the band that made it is much better than Yes.

Yes might have been as good as VdGG if only they could have found a decent singer.

Wink

Fixed.Wink
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 17:27

This seems to be the device used by Squire and also Mike Rutherford until Moog released the Taurus

DEWTRON MISTER BASSMAN 

Thanks for posting the photo, after reading this thread I was very curious to see these.  Check out this video of them "in action."  Compared to the Moog Taurus pedals, these are like an ugly kids toy...it's a wonder Rutherford and Squire could do anything useful with them...

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 05:50
Indeed one can see Jon Anderson playing the Dewtron Mister Bassman pedals with his hands in this video in Yours Is No Disgrace.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 05:53
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ That deserves an addition in your "An Illustrated Guide to Prog Rock Instruments" thread.
Yes I think it does! Smile  The Taurus was not such an innovative concept as I had thought.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 20:30
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yes might have been as good as VdGG if only they could have found a decent singer.

Wink

Fixed.Wink
Thank you............Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 23:20

Yes I think it does! Smile  The Taurus was not such an innovative concept as I had thought.

Oh, but it was!  What made the Taurus so innovative was not only the incredible sounding Moog filters, but the programmable patch.  You'd open that little window on the front and could set all kinds of programmable parameters and do things that sounded more like a MiniMoog than bass pedals.  Moog's later attempts at reissuing this (The Taurus 2 and 3) never captured the same magic.  Besides, the Dewtron's sound was pretty bland compared with the Taurus that would rattle the windows.  There was nothing like Genesis on the Wind and Wuthering tour, when Rutherford hit the Taurus on Firth of Fifth you could feel the building shake Wink
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 23:54
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Yes I think it does! Smile  The Taurus was not such an innovative concept as I had thought.

Oh, but it was!  What made the Taurus so innovative was not only the incredible sounding Moog filters, but the programmable patch.  You'd open that little window on the front and could set all kinds of programmable parameters and do things that sounded more like a MiniMoog than bass pedals.  Moog's later attempts at reissuing this (The Taurus 2 and 3) never captured the same magic.  Besides, the Dewtron's sound was pretty bland compared with the Taurus that would rattle the windows.  There was nothing like Genesis on the Wind and Wuthering tour, when Rutherford hit the Taurus on Firth of Fifth you could feel the building shake Wink

...to say nothing of Genesis's "Fly On A Windshield" from The Lamb! 

Sadly, I missed that tour but saw the tribute band "The Musical Box" perform this at an old theater in Chicago...when the Moog Taurus was engaged, a snowstorm of paint flakes and dust from the ceiling filled the air!  It was great!  

Edited by cstack3 - August 21 2013 at 23:54
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 07:52
ok, another week, another album.

What's so special about "Thick As A Brick"?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 08:27
I think it's overrated,a 3-stars albumbut of course it's just my opinion. It would have been a great 20-25 minutes epic but extending it to fit a LP has partially ruined it. It's better than TAAB 2 (I've seen JT live few months ago playing the two albums) but I think it contains too many fillers. I prefer the shortened version on Bursting Out. 

My fav JT album is Aqualung
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 09:44
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I think it's overrated,a 3-stars albumbut of course it's just my opinion. It would have been a great 20-25 minutes epic but extending it to fit a LP has partially ruined it. It's better than TAAB 2 (I've seen JT live few months ago playing the two albums) but I think it contains too many fillers. I prefer the shortened version on Bursting Out. 

Agree to an extent with your views, though I would rate it four stars.  What makes it special is the riff.  That is simply irresistible. But it's simply not enough for a 40-plus minute track.   TAAB ultimately lacks musical development to match its ambition.  
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 09:58
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Agree to an extent with your views, though I would rate it four stars.  What makes it special is the riff.  That is simply irresistible. But it's simply not enough for a 40-plus minute track.   TAAB ultimately lacks musical development to match its ambition.  
Yes, it could be a 4-stars album. The non-filler parts are excellent.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>