Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Progressive rock "Progressive"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 19:36
Originally posted by kingcrimsonfan kingcrimsonfan wrote:

This video should explain this argument, but, my personal views on this is that these new symphonic "prog" rock bands are not necessarily bad, but, they are not pushing the boundaries like bands like King Crimson, Van der graaf Generator, and Porcupine Tree. It is kind of ticking me off that some of these "prog bands" want to play it safe and stay to the typical prog rock cliche. This is not my video. This is a video done by Darren Lock and you can find him on youtube if you are interested in his other videos. I also want to hear everyone else's opinions on how progressive in nature is "prog" in the modern era.
Here is the link to the video: http://youtu.be/V44jK3K9hMM

May I ask you one thing? How has Porcupine tree trepassed boudaries? I mean, I see nothing innovative in the music...
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 20:21
I have never thought of progressive rock as being a category that "pushed boundaries."  Certainly, artists we regard as progressive rock did that, but I don't think that's what it means.

Progressive rock is rock music that progresses.  In other words, it does not maintain the same scheme or pattern throughout its structure.  It is music that visits other passages beyond the common structures  This often involves time signature, tempo, or instrument changes in a given piece.  That is why "Awaken" is a progressive rock song and "Telegraph Road" is not.

I don't think "doing something no one else has done before" is praiseworthy on its own; if it sounds like sh*t, it sounds like sh*t.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 20:53
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I think music in general has become too samey...no matter the genre. I've heard very little innovation in any kind of music since the late '90s. The album that impressed me the most this year was the new Daft Punk...and it's a complete homage to the disco, R&B and synth-pop of the late '70s/early '80s. Completely regressive and unoriginal yet it's still more enjoyable than a lot of other new music. Sad, really.

The only innovation happening today is in technology apparently. Most art has become stagnant.

Well said!! BTW the new Daft Punk is great...retro babyBig smile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 20:55
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I don't think "doing something no one else has done before" is praiseworthy on its own; if it sounds like sh*t, it sounds like sh*t.

Yes and sadly there is a ton of it outthere. So many new bands that surface with prog tags which sound absolutely awful
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 22:47
I always thought when I was a kid that progressive rock meant each album should progress and be more daring than the previous one---and Yes did do this more than most groups ---during their peak.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 22:53
Originally posted by I-Juca Pirama I-Juca Pirama wrote:

Originally posted by kingcrimsonfan kingcrimsonfan wrote:

This video should explain this argument, but, my personal views on this is that these new symphonic "prog" rock bands are not necessarily bad, but, they are not pushing the boundaries like bands like King Crimson, Van der graaf Generator, and Porcupine Tree. It is kind of ticking me off that some of these "prog bands" want to play it safe and stay to the typical prog rock cliche. This is not my video. This is a video done by Darren Lock and you can find him on youtube if you are interested in his other videos. I also want to hear everyone else's opinions on how progressive in nature is "prog" in the modern era.
Here is the link to the video: http://youtu.be/V44jK3K9hMM

May I ask you one thing? How has Porcupine tree trepassed boudaries? I mean, I see nothing innovative in the music...

They are the first band to ever idolize and rip-off Pink Floyd and Neu

or something
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 23:12
This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. The way I see it (which I believed is something I picked up from on a discussion on here once upon a time) is that there are kind of two aspects to bands we group together here- 'progressive' the approach/aesthetic, and 'prog' the genre. 
The classic 70s bands were both- they were called progressive rock due to being seen to be innovating and combining existing music in ways seen as new, progressive or experimental, pushing boundaries (though this is somewhat subjective)- the 'progressive' aspect. But of course, they also naturally shared (to varying extents, mainly talking about the symph bands) a common sound, a common genre- 'prog'.
So now, when we've had this revival of sorts from the 90s through to now, you have bands that are 'progressive' for the same reasons as the 70s bands, and yet they sound nothing like them (RIO/Avant, the prog metal genres, prog electronic, jazz fusion, etc) and then you have bands which aim to sound like the 'prog', like the classic bands of the 70s, completely legitiimately, and are thus part of that genre, and yet don't have the same 'progressive' approach (retro prog bands, a lot of modern symph bands).

There's nothing wrong with either of these approaches- though I dislike the sound of many of the modern 'prog' retro symph bands, due to what I hear as a lack of depth, artificiality/over-produced sound, music-by-numbers, etc- but they're perfectly entitled to do that, many people enjoy it, and it's what bands in other genres do all the time. It's worth pointing out that some of the original 70s bands, such as Yes, themselves moved to this category, in essence.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 23:15
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

On of my favorite replies to this question comes from John Wetton in this interview:

AL: It's hard to have a prog context at hand, when you write a song on your own, anyway... 

JW: Yes, exactly so. Prog stuff tends to happen in the rehearsal room. You get a drummer and a keyboard player involved, and they start extemporising on themes. I mean, I think that prog probably came about somewhere where American jazz and blues hit European classical music. I think that's how prog was born. The father was European classical music, and the mother was American blues, and the offspring was something we call progressive music. I don't think as a generic term it works anymore. Because it's not progressive, in fact it's more regressive. 

AL: It promised too much, I think... 

JW: It promised too much, yeah. And also, now it's back to everyone... Everyone who wants to be progressive, in inverted comas, want to use mellotrons, Marshall amps and Rickenbacker basses, you know, it's all back to 1973, which is hardly progressive. So it's very much regressive. But it seems that progressive has become a generic term for a style of music which involves time changes, classical moods... 

AL: Sophisticated rock, in a way... 

JW: Yeah. I don't mind, I like sophisticated rock, you know, I like the fact that people can play their instruments. But to me, I think that music must change, it always has to change. We can't stand and try to turn the tide back, it must change. And you have to go with that, otherwise you're drowned.

Not to hijack the conversation or start a feud here, but this sentiment expressed by a veteran of the scene gives voice to the notion that confining prog to a finite number of musical cliches will stagnate and regress the scene. This attitude puts antiquated albums and groups on a pedestal above all modern contributors to the genre. That's an uphill battle they can't expect to win.

What's worse is that it makes it too difficult for talented, innovative groups who have deliberately exited this mold while maintaining high levels of technical and expressive proficiency to gain the approval of the fans who spend their entire musical lives between the years of 1969 and 1976, give or take a year or two on either side. I think namely of the biggest innovators in the progressive metal and tech/extreme prog metal subgenres. I know not everybody here is guilty of this, definitely not even most. I have encountered a few xenophobic posts relating to these subgenres because they chose to embrace styles and textures different from those cultivated by the dinosaur groups. You don't have to like it, but don't you dare say what they're doing is not progressive. They're still pushing the envelope and traversing previously unknown musical frontiers, which is the point of progressive in the first place. Close-minded bigotry is the epitome of regressive behavior in my book.

Ironically, some of those same groups from the "golden age of prog" (a label I loathe for its perpetuation of the false assumption that one generation's music is and always will be better than the output of all others forever) even had a hand in pioneering such styles. Exhibit A: Red.

Edited by Neo-Romantic - September 06 2013 at 23:17
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 23:35
I don't see the same level of "sonic experimentation" going on with modern prog bands as we did in the 1970's.   John McLaughlin put the double-neck electric guitar to great effect, electric violin appeared in Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson and other bands, Steve Howe brought the pedal-steel guitar, electric sitar and other strange instruments to the stage, and keyboardists like Wakeman and Hawkens gleefully mixed synth with harpsichord, Mellotron with ancient pipe organ etc.  

Prog seems to be very much a formula these days - electric bass, drums, electric & acoustic guitars, and a modicum of electronic keys, usually patched to emulate the acoustic instruments.  

What it needs is a good, dynamic kick in the arse!  Any ideas?   I'd enjoy seeing more women in prog, musical influences besides European classical and American blues/jazz idioms, and some fresh instrumentation. 
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 00:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I don't see the same level of "sonic experimentation" going on with modern prog bands as we did in the 1970's.   John McLaughlin put the double-neck electric guitar to great effect, electric violin appeared in Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson and other bands, Steve Howe brought the pedal-steel guitar, electric sitar and other strange instruments to the stage, and keyboardists like Wakeman and Hawkens gleefully mixed synth with harpsichord, Mellotron with ancient pipe organ etc.  

Prog seems to be very much a formula these days - electric bass, drums, electric & acoustic guitars, and a modicum of electronic keys, usually patched to emulate the acoustic instruments.  

What it needs is a good, dynamic kick in the arse!  Any ideas?   I'd enjoy seeing more women in prog, musical influences besides European classical and American blues/jazz idioms, and some fresh instrumentation. 

Yeah, I'd definitely like to hear some more new sonic textures myself. I mean, with all the new technology nowadays, why on earth do so many groups keep looking backwards? It makes no sense to me.

The only group that comes to mind that I've heard incorporate more modern sounds into their mix is Riverside, and even then I still feel like they're only scratching the surface. The ultra-modern synth sounds on Anno Domini High Definition were truly astounding to me, and I want to hear more of that. Like now! They didn't exploit that nearly as much on SONGS, but I'm inclined to give them a pass as they did a respectable job of balancing the retro sounds with more modern components.

Edited by Neo-Romantic - September 07 2013 at 00:51
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 01:02
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Not to hijack the conversation or start a feud here, but this sentiment expressed by a veteran of the scene gives voice to the notion that confining prog to a finite number of musical cliches will stagnate and regress the scene. This attitude puts antiquated albums and groups on a pedestal above all modern contributors to the genre. That's an uphill battle they can't expect to win.

A point I have tired of making.   It is ok if you want to call something that closely resembles a 70s prog classic as progressive, but to insist that that alone is prog is to miss the point  of prog rock music.  You can see in this thread too the fear that experimentation will only lead to noise being put on record or something to that effect.   There is barely any willingness to consider that it might also open up some possibilities.  So maybe I was mistaken all along for thinking prog rock was an adventurous ride into the unknown.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 01:30
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Progressive is an odd term...I've always preferred "Art Rock" Wink
Seeing as rock is a genre of music (an art form), Art Rock is incredibly redundant and condescending.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 03:12
In my ears there is lots of progression in music, a lot of that music won't make it into PA, due to the fact that PA is interested in music that fits into established boxes, not if its progressive.
That is the downside of the system we got with genre and sub genre.
But that's ok with me, doesn't change the music if its on PA or not
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 03:26
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Calling progressive rock progressive rock was the greatest disservice ever done to the genre. It created the unreliable expectations.

When people release a punk album and it sounds like punk, nobody cares, they just like it if it's good. But if people release a prog album and it sounds like prog, they complain.

Progressive rock is a style, not a mantra; I find terms like "symphonic rock", "jazz rock", and "psychedelic rock" to be much more meaningful. If your obsession is constantly hearing things you have never heard before, then latching yourself on to one genre, even one with a name like "progressive rock", will only disappoint. Move outside your comfort zone into other genres, such as noise rock, jazz, hip hop, alternative country, tropicalia, baroque, etc... there are enough genres out there you can listen to something in a new genre every day and you'll always be hearing new things.

nothing more needs to be said imo
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 04:29
All that I wanted to say has been pretty well covered already. From ca 1976 and onwards, the rock that was progressive was not to be found in prog (the genre). Punk, post-punk and the avantguarde rock was where it was at. Nowadays I hear most new and refreshing sounds in the electronic lands, and perhaps that is not so odd after all. 
I'm very much looking forward to hear what the future brings. If we want music to progress and give us something new and exciting, it all comes down to our willingness to embrace it - just like our parents and grandparents did oh so long ago. Imagine purchasing Amon Düül ll's Yeti after only having listened to stuff like The Beatles and The Stones. The idea of progressive music - be that in rock or outside of it relies just as much on the audiences, as it does on the artists themselves. We can't expect new progressive pathways opening up, if we never give them the benefit of a doubt - jump outside of our listening habits and go for something out of the ordinary.

And no the prog of today is not progressive, but then again it doesn't have to be does it? Can't an album just be good?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 11:09
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

All that I wanted to say has been pretty well covered already. From ca 1976 and onwards, the rock that was progressive was not to be found in prog (the genre). Punk, post-punk and the avantguarde rock was where it was at. Nowadays I hear most new and refreshing sounds in the electronic lands, and perhaps that is not so odd after all. 
I'm very much looking forward to hear what the future brings. If we want music to progress and give us something new and exciting, it all comes down to our willingness to embrace it - just like our parents and grandparents did oh so long ago. Imagine purchasing Amon Düül ll's Yeti after only having listened to stuff like The Beatles and The Stones. The idea of progressive music - be that in rock or outside of it relies just as much on the audiences, as it does on the artists themselves. We can't expect new progressive pathways opening up, if we never give them the benefit of a doubt - jump outside of our listening habits and go for something out of the ordinary.

And no the prog of today is not progressive, but then again it doesn't have to be does it? Can't an album just be good?
It can be good and if your preference has more to do with the album being good, then of course this point you make is surely justified in the logic of liking something overall and not having a concern over it's somewhat catagorization ..which in this case is being progressive. Ideas to develop originality of sound and style originate from experimentation, certain formulas ARE or WERE (in the 70's), applied, concepts within the lyrical approach, and following rules or steps that often reject the input of band members who insist that their new "hook" is original ..when in fact it obviously is not. I am not completely convinced that a majority of musicians today are speaking up at rehearsal and sticking to those rules. Andrew Latimer does on a video of Camel rehearsing...where he stops the keyboardist to point out that what he is playing is a Pink Floyd signature riff and to NOT add it to the song. Tony Banks refused to allow the influence of King Crimson in Genesis...and although that influence may be present at times, it didn't control or dominate the overall structure of the Lamb or S.E.B.T.P.

The concept of writing differs (maybe?) today and the fine results in the creative department of the 70's bands is no longer present in Prog. What frustrates me about this subject is that it feels as if people are pointing at a blackboard and discussing a list of decades, making cruel thrusts and questioning...."why must we follow the path of the 70's progressive rock bands?" "Why must we concern ourselves over what has been done before by another generation?" First of all ...we are NOT anyway by merely copying them and secondly we seem to place too much emphasis on the fact that IT IS from another generation..coming across with a jealous and foul attitude. WHO BLOODY CARES WHAT YEAR? What difference does it make ..what specific year or decade the music was created in?  It's was the writing concept of those 70's prog or art rock bands that mattered...and not the fact that it was 1972 or 3. It is not an old writing concept or method. It is a method or approach that opens up the music with fine original results. Experimentation is part of it, but rules always applied as well....which meant leaving certain elements OUT! Elements which cause the originality of composition and overall sound to suffer. I don't believe we are doing that today.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 11:31
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Progressive is an odd term...I've always preferred "Art Rock" Wink
Seeing as rock is a genre of music (an art form), Art Rock is incredibly redundant and condescending.
Agreed. Punk, electronic, jazz... it's all art if it's meant to be appreciated.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 11:35
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

^ What is the first prog album? 

It'll be released in a few years, after the band who'll record it meet each other and start a band together.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 11:42
I don't care. I like what I like.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 11:45