Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Ends Of The Earth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ends Of The Earth
    Posted: September 18 2013 at 18:24
Hi guys,.Sorry that I haven't been around for a while. Unfortunately as you get older there gets to be an unholy combination of more things to do, and less energy to do them with.

Since releasing "The Southern Cross" I have given myself a crash course in CGI, using a programme called Blender. This is freeware, but it is an amazing programme that can hold it's own against the likes of Maya and 3DSmax.

I started using it because I thought that it might be an easy way to make band videos. How wrong I was! Two years later I find myself finally getting to grips with it, and the new album will have some interesting videos to accompany it.

The holy grail is to produce some decent artistic video  to use with any future recordings, without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money.  I am getting close to that now, (So watch this space). But its only now that I am getting to the point of doing a new album,which is about two thirds recorded, and going under the working title of "Hunter's Moon".

In the meantime, I had a holiday in Switzerland in August, and my son Ryan did something amazing which I had to set to music.  this is what happens when you walk off the edge of a cliff in the Lauterbrunnen valley. ( for the Tolkien aficionados amongst you this was his inspiration for Rivendell. The track is "The Ends of the Earth" from "The Mad Monk And The Mountain album. My son did what I could only dream of, and this video is very precious to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAxhTLx9FNQ
I have put this in as a link as the video option does not appear to be working.

Edited by Colin Masson - September 18 2013 at 18:28
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 09:26
March 2008 wow that's even 18 months older than my account.

Just a five-year vacation.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 12:06

Great to know that you are working on a new album Colin! Looking forward to hearing the new material! 
Will The Morrigan ever do something new?

Colin Masson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 18:05
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Great to know that you are working on a new album Colin! Looking forward to hearing the new material! 

It will take a couple of months to do, I've rather complicated matters by becoming interested in CGI, (essentially in order to do music videos), here is a link to what I am currently doing on the Blender 3d Forums, the video is a leftover from the Southern cross album, (doing everything myself makes my workflow rather chaotic). essentially when I started it was going to be a simple little video to go with the final track of that album, however the video took on a life of its own, (it still isn't finished), so I decided to do a new soundtrack, which will be on the next album. so I apologise for echoes of the last album, but sometimes you have to see a thing through.

As far as The Morrigan is concerned, the band has not broken up, after all these years we are still good friends, which I find amazing. Unfortunately one of our members is going through a very rough time right now. I cannot give you any details, as I respect their privacy and so am unable to say more. The rest of us have decided to wait, and to see if we can help to see them through it. I can say no more other than that it is not somebody we would want to replace under any circumstances. What has happened to them is not fair, and if they don't come out the other side the resulting band would not be the Morrigan. It is unfortunately something that will not go away easily.

In the meantime Cathy and I may well be doing some work that is more of a duo effort, which we hope will include some live gigs, (and may include other band members as a result). And these should also result in some new album material.

A quick edit, as far as the video is concerned, it is a work in progress, it finishes halfway through (I have not even finished writing the track yet). and the video will be tweaked (There is much more yet to come).

Edited by Colin Masson - September 26 2013 at 18:14
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 02:39
Originally posted by Colin Masson Colin Masson wrote:

Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

It will take a couple of months to do, I've rather complicated matters by becoming interested in CGI, (essentially in order to do music videos), here is a link to what I am currently doing on the Blender 3d Forums, the video is a leftover from the Southern cross album, (doing everything myself makes my workflow rather chaotic). essentially when I started it was going to be a simple little video to go with the final track of that album, however the video took on a life of its own, (it still isn't finished), so I decided to do a new soundtrack, which will be on the next album. so I apologise for echoes of the last album, but sometimes you have to see a thing through.

As far as The Morrigan is concerned, the band has not broken up, after all these years we are still good friends, which I find amazing. Unfortunately one of our members is going through a very rough time right now. I cannot give you any details, as I respect their privacy and so am unable to say more. The rest of us have decided to wait, and to see if we can help to see them through it. I can say no more other than that it is not somebody we would want to replace under any circumstances. What has happened to them is not fair, and if they don't come out the other side the resulting band would not be the Morrigan. It is unfortunately something that will not go away easily.

In the meantime Cathy and I may well be doing some work that is more of a duo effort, which we hope will include some live gigs, (and may include other band members as a result). And these should also result in some new album material.

A quick edit, as far as the video is concerned, it is a work in progress, it finishes halfway through (I have not even finished writing the track yet). and the video will be tweaked (There is much more yet to come).

Thank you for sharing this! I'm sorry to hear that someone in the band is going through a hard time, I wish them all the best and hope that there will be a The Morrigan in the future (for those who don't know the band, check them out--it's excellent Prog Folk!). 

The video looks cool. I can understand how much work must go into that; what patience must be required! 

Again, great to know that you're working on new music. I'm certainly interested in hearing and reviewing anything that you'll release whether as Colin Masson, The Morrigan, or under some other name.  

Post Reply Post Reply