Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEturivi for Krautrock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eturivi for Krautrock
    Posted: September 18 2013 at 20:29
A fascinating and diverse ensemble, Eturivi were a Finnish supergroup of sorts, consisting of Jussi Lehtisalo from Circle, Mika Rintala (Verde), and Kake Puhuu (Keuhkot, a group who would fit well on PA). They put out a 7" and one full-length. Eturivi experimented with all sorts of krauty/industrial sounds & rhythms, juxtaposing Puhuu's spoken word on top (apparently the lyrics are brilliant but I don't know Finnish to save my life). Puhuu's delivery and the filthy electronics give the whole proceeding a confrontational Throbbing Gristle vibe to me.

Following up the now sold out Lempilapset / 30% 7" single (verdura-2), Eturivi heads for an even more peculiar sound journey on their debut full lenght album, drilling further into the hypnotic scapes. Featured are the basic elements of the previous seven incher; the monotonous though catchy rhythms, the rather strange rantings in finnish and the use of self-made electronics (alongside with a wide range of other instruments), yet now topped off with an almost confusing variety in music. And this really sounds like a combination of it's makers, something from Circle, a bit of Keuhkot and a spark of Verde. Slightly odd, quite unusual, highly enjoyable. --Ektro Records

Our friends in Finland are a prolific lot. From the label that just brought us that wonderful Magyar Posse album, comes another band, this time with some familiar faces -- it features members of Circle, Ektroverde, Pharaoh Overlord, Kirvasto and Keuhkot. Eturivi, however, have their own weird sound. Creaking, creepy stuff, with droning science fictional tool shop electronics and glitchy rhythms. Electric organ, rattling percussion, plinking guitars all make for a mysterious background to the equally mysterious voices you'll hear. This has what seems like a bit of a theatrical aspect, with dramatic vocals declaiming something in Finnish (we presume) over the junkyard folk music. It's kinda quiet (in a noisy way though), until the next to last track, "Lian Jaljilla", when chugging guitars kick in and Eturivi fully reveals their Circle lineage, dealing out distorted stabs of motorik spacerock. The prevalence of spoken foreign-language vocals might not make this as accessible as some of Jussi & co.'s other projects -- you do feel like you're missing something by not understanding the words -- but it's still one that lots of fans will want to add to their shelf-ful of Finnish weirdness. --Aquarius Records

"Lempilapset"
http://grooveshark.com/album/Lempilapset/9187778

"Ylhäisten Kastien Kelvottomat Jälkeläiset"
http://grooveshark.com/album/Ylh+isten+Kastien+Kelvottomat+J+lkel+iset/9187751
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 07:41
Argh snap! No grooveshark in DenmarkOuch
Can't find any vids on YouTube - no Spotify either.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 14:32
Oh no! Could Damo or Phillipe listen to the files? Or would you like me to send you a PM? I'm just worried since many of my future suggestions seem to be featured exclusively on Grooveshark.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 01:37
Can anyone access Grooveshark and give these guys a shot?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 04:06
Done! - It is now in hand, and someone more knowledgeable than myself on this type of music will update this thread with their thoughts shortly.  Thumbs Up
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 19:35
I could definitely see this being accepted so i'll bring it to philippe.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 08:01
Ahh Alex you ninja you. I was just about to forward this to the Frenchman.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply