Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tribute to "Easy Livin". retired Site Moderator
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTribute to "Easy Livin". retired Site Moderator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 19:41
Originally posted by BORA BORA wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Your tone was clear enough in several entries, and quite wrong.  But you're right, I shouldn't have direct quoted you.  

Dear. oh dear...
Making an observation is one thing, but naming people is not the least appropriate. Especially on a thread about Bob, a great diplomat.

Your defensive tone confirms the observations you find objectionable. Namely that Bob was a terrific moderator for ALL and not only for a select few in the Collab Zone. Yet, none of the "elite" bothered with a single note in this Forum until I started this thread. Nothing criminal about that, it only highlights the "them and us" approach you seem to deny.

BTW, in my previous incarnation I used to be a Special Collab and know very well what goes on behind the scenes concealed from the rest. So please, fair go!  

You sir are nothing more than a huge troll with what would appear a major inferiority complex.

<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 19:42
I recommend locking this thread as this is not befitting for someone like Bob to be associated with
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 20:37
*shakes head*

I don't know - you boys...

This is just typical Bob - either surrounded by mayhem yet acting as if it were absolutely nothing to do with him or causing trouble even when he's not here.

I would like to say I'm glad to see the back of him, but he's none too pretty from that angle either, so I'll keep that thought to myself. His time as an Admin was an endless catalogue of blunders and bewilderment, wandering around the place with a bag of Werther's Originals and a mug of Horlicks, asking everyone and anyone if Mike Batt had been added yet and going on and on about his imaginary friend (Mix, Mox, Mex? something like that - I think it was probably a pooka). And as for his reviews - just don't get me started - they're so bloody long, it's like reading a version of War and Peace written by Marcel Proust on one of his less lucid days, whatever happened to the 100 word limit - there is only so many words I can read in one go before my eyes glaze over and I fall into a somnabulent slumber, and all that accuracy... is that really necessary? Why can't he just waffle meaninglessly for a paragraph about what he had for supper while listening to the album like everyone else? So, you listened to it all the way through - well done. And they're so old fashioned, archaic even, and he uses that thing that they used to have in the old days - you know, it was really popular, they used to beat it into you with sticks... what was it called... oh yeah, I remember - grammar, that's it.

What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 21:15
^ Brilliant--  like a controlled burn around a growing fire.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 21:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

His time as an Admin was an endless catalogue of blunders and bewilderment, wandering around the place with a bag of Werther's Originals and a mug of Horlicks, asking everyone and anyone if Mike Batt had been added yet and going on and on about his imaginary friend (Mix, Mox, Mex? something like that - I think it was probably a pooka). 

LOL  awesome

BORA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 22:03
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Your tone was clear enough in several entries, and quite wrong.  But you're right, I shouldn't have direct quoted you.  

Dear. oh dear...
Making an observation is one thing, but naming people is not the least appropriate. Especially on a thread about Bob, a great diplomat.

Your defensive tone confirms the observations you find objectionable. Namely that Bob was a terrific moderator for ALL and not only for a select few in the Collab Zone. Yet, none of the "elite" bothered with a single note in this Forum until I started this thread. Nothing criminal about that, it only highlights the "them and us" approach you seem to deny.

BTW, in my previous incarnation I used to be a Special Collab and know very well what goes on behind the scenes concealed from the rest. So please, fair go!  

You sir are nothing more than a huge troll with what would appear a major inferiority complex.

And you Sir calling me a troll are no more than a typical example of bullies resented by many.
With over 3000 Prog albums under my belt you call me a troll? Shame on you!

Closing this thread on behalf of Bob? Sure, go ahead. You'd just further prove my observations about a handful of shocking w**kers excerting undue dominance. So much about "inferiority complex".

Your arrogance is likely to alienate more, people who would be looking for qualified input in place of dominance. 
Get this thread closed, maintain your superiority - left on your own? Go for it!

Next time you may care to play the ball, not the man?
;

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 22:17
Of course we're arrogant, isn't that part of being a prog fan?; our God-given right to be superior about the music we like and to participate in an even more arrogant website.   We tried to "play the ball" and you swatted it out of the air in a ballgame you yourself threw together.  

So you're a tough guy, hmm?   You don't "take no crap".   Well you're lucky so many here are willing to take some crap instead of reaching down your throat and fingering your gallbladder.

BORA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 23:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Of course we're arrogant, isn't that part of being a prog fan?; our God-given right to be superior about the music we like and to participate in an even more arrogant website.   We tried to "play the ball" and you swatted it out of the air in a ballgame you yourself threw together.  

So you're a tough guy, hmm?   You don't "take no crap".   Well you're lucky so many here are willing to take some crap instead of reaching down your throat and fingering your gallbladder.

Charming.
No doubt Prog fans will rally behind the message?
What would Bob think about a post like that?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 23:40
He'd think, "There my good buddy goes being belligerent again."

BORA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 03:24

Cool man! Good response within civility.
(Unlike another Special Collab who called me a "sad cretin" in a PM...!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 03:30
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

*shakes head*

I don't know - you boys...

This is just typical Bob - either surrounded by mayhem yet acting as if it were absolutely nothing to do with him or causing trouble even when he's not here.

I would like to say I'm glad to see the back of him, but he's none too pretty from that angle either, so I'll keep that thought to myself. His time as an Admin was an endless catalogue of blunders and bewilderment, wandering around the place with a bag of Werther's Originals and a mug of Horlicks, asking everyone and anyone if Mike Batt had been added yet and going on and on about his imaginary friend (Mix, Mox, Mex? something like that - I think it was probably a pooka). And as for his reviews - just don't get me started - they're so bloody long, it's like reading a version of War and Peace written by Marcel Proust on one of his less lucid days, whatever happened to the 100 word limit - there is only so many words I can read in one go before my eyes glaze over and I fall into a somnabulent slumber, and all that accuracy... is that really necessary? Why can't he just waffle meaninglessly for a paragraph about what he had for supper while listening to the album like everyone else? So, you listened to it all the way through - well done. And they're so old fashioned, archaic even, and he uses that thing that they used to have in the old days - you know, it was really popular, they used to beat it into you with sticks... what was it called... oh yeah, I remember - grammar, that's it.

Post of the day, no weekLOLClap

And let me just chime in and say that this thread is dedicated to Bob and what he meant to the site. If you can't think of something nice to say, that is without having to throw wild assumptions round and step on long hard working collabs, then simply don't say anything at all or go elsewhereGeek

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 22 2013 at 03:39
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 03:44
As mentioned earlier, I've only ever known of him as a reviewer, so I thought I'd highlight one of my faves - even if Bob doesn't seem to agree with meLOL How about this for a review?

3 stars Extra terrestrial's, Marylyn Monroe and a Transylvanian brain surgeon. but not a lemming in sight

I find Amon Duul II to be a frustrating band. Their "Live in London" album, which sold in significant quantities in the UK due to a budget price, indicated that they had originality and talent in no short measure. Having investigated further though, I find that their studio albums are alarmingly inconsistent, ranging from simplistic pop based songs to overlong, self indulgent improvisations. Outside Germany, this the band's third album bears the title "Dance of the lemmings" (I had to update the site to show this as it took me a while to find it under its German language name!).

The album's opening track "Syntelman's march of the roaring seventies" is a three part piece running to 16 minutes, and occupying the whole of the first side of this double LP. There are similarities with Hawkwind's "In search of space" from the same era, in the pounding rhythms and spacey sounds. The music varies from such psychedelic influences to acoustic, folk like phases which are reminiscent of albums such as Jethro Tull's "Thick as a brick". While the instrumental passages are frequent, they tend to reflect the overall tightness of the suite, with little of the improvisation which blighted the previous "Yeti".

Side two is occupied by the seven part "Restless skylight-Transistor-Child" which is notable for containing the most imaginative titles of the album. These include "A short stop at the Transylvanian brain surgery", "Dehypnotised toothpaste", and "Race from here to your ears". Needless to say the lyrics, which may be in English but are impenetrable nonetheless, bear no relation to the titles. According to John Weinzierl, the theme of the piece is an extra-terrestrial view of human life. Unusually, the track features sitar and choir type vocals working together, offering an ear catching counterpoint to the less structured section which follows. Improvised electric violin also makes an appearance, backed by a heavy electronic back beat. This suite is the most diverse of the four sides, and therefore the most demanding. The highlight is the "Race from here to your ears" section, a softer section with female vocal accompaniment and phasing. I do feel though that the "Live in London" version is much the superior. Strangely, the lyrics here mention "Syntelman", whose name is included in the tittle of the first suite.

There appears to be some confusion over whether the whole of the second album is the "Chamsin soundtrack", or just side three. The LP sleeve would appear to imply that sides three and four are both covered by this title. At the time of the album's release, the obscure film for which the music was intended had not been released, appearing in Germany a year later. The music did however win a German soundtrack award! The third side of the LP is occupied by the singularly titled "The Marylin Monroe- memorial- church" (complete with hyphens as shown), which runs to 18 minutes. This piece has more in common with the "Yeti" improvisations than the rest of the album. While it is mildly appealing, with floating early Pink Floyd like sounds, it is probably best regarded as soundtrack music and left at that.

Three separate tracks occupy side four. "Chewinggum telegram" probably contains the hardest rock on the album, the driving guitar once again being reminiscent of Hawkwind. "Stumbling over melted moonlight" continues very much in the same vein, with the closing "Toxological whispering" completing the trio of instrumentals in slightly slower guitar fusion style.

For me, this is easily the best of the Amon Duul 2 studio albums I have heard. OK, so it does ramble a bit at times, especially on side 3, but in general the music is focused and well performed. Incidentally, the album title also appears to bear no relation to anything on the album.

Easy Livin | 3/5 | 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 05:54
Happy retirement to Bob Clap The few times I've had some business to the admin side, I always felt best to contact him, and so far he's the only reviewer I've identified with enough to actually base some purchases on his opinion.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 05:58
Aaaaaaan we're back on track, thank youApprove

- Douglas Adams
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 06:24

Really? I wonder... Ermm

Does this mean you've got two accounts now?

Edited by Tuzvihar - September 22 2013 at 06:25
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 06:46
I haven't followed the behind-the-scenes stuff mentioned in this thread at all, but I liked EL's reviews finding them very informative.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 08:31

Cool man! Good response within civility.
(Unlike another Special Collab who called me a "sad cretin" in a PM...!

Just need to say....I didn't send this guy any PMs. 

Also, sorry to everyone for engaging him in this thread.  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 08:34
No need for that Jim. You basically said what we all were thinkingSmile

BORA came here looking for something other than lauding Bob, that has become very clear by now.

- Douglas Adams
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 11:46

Of course we're arrogant, isn't that part of being a prog fan?; our God-given right to be superior about the music we like and to participate in an even more arrogant website.

I could think of a few more adjectives that I'm sure everyone knows.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 11:46
Not what all were thinking. I was thinking how childish both sides of the argument were stealing the spotlight from the retiree. If Bora came here looking for something you gave it to him in spades.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>