Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore medieval-influenced prog, please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 23:03
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

i feel tjos is obvous and also redundunt, but gotta do i Gentle Giant, are one of the contenders of medeval influenced prog

GG goes without saying. I LOVE them--especially the medieval-sounding stuff. "Edge of Twilight," "Raconteur, Troubadour," "Dog's Life," "Think of Me With Kindness," "No God's a Man," "On Reflection," His Last Voyage," "Talybont, "A Reunion," and "Empty City" are all awesome.

I haven't really been able to find so much of medieval sounds in the Gentle Giant albums I've got. Perhaps just a bit on a few songs, but I would have liked more. Still, I love their first 2 albums.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 22:57

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Oh, I really love medieval sounding music, but I'm afraid I'm not up to looking into everything that has been named in this thread... at least yet. I just got the last "Blackmore's Night" album a few weeks ago, and I have really been enjoying that a lot... though I wouldn't call it prog by any stretch of imagination. I see Focus hasn't been mentioned yet, so a few songs from them might fit the criteria. The Hamburger Concerto album has several medieval sounding moments, plus some other songs from other albums (I at least remember "Elspeth of Nottingham").

i LOVE Focus and Jan Akkerman's forays into medieval music--thanks--but I think I own just about everything Focus or Jan Akkerman did pre-90s.

I only got their albums while Jan Akkerman was with the band, and thought that was a good moment to stop spending more money in Focus albums. Those albums after Hamburger Concerto were already of much lesser quality for me.
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 14:13
Secret Green and Francis Lickerish are ones you should check out. Francis Lickerish is the lead guitar player and main songwriter for Secret Green, but instead of releasing a second album under the Secret Green moniker he released it under his own name, but it's still essentially Secret Green.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:58
^ Wow! Give a Viking an electric guitar and this is what I imagine they would sound like! I love the female vocalist and the Viking male choir. And they really make the metal guitars work with the medieval folk themes--though I would like to hear more of the latter, with more layered and complex instrumentation. Favorites so far (the ones that display more acoustic play): "Slepp meg," Skomegyvri," and "Det var Irlands kongi bold." Thanks for the recommendation!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:51

i feel tjos is obvous and also redundunt, but gotta do i Gentle Giant, are one of the contenders of medeval influenced prog

GG goes without saying. I LOVE them--especially the medieval-sounding stuff. "Edge of Twilight," "Raconteur, Troubadour," "Dog's Life," "Think of Me With Kindness," "No God's a Man," "On Reflection," His Last Voyage," "Talybont, "A Reunion," and "Empty City" are all awesome.
I will urge you to check out Lumsk, the play a heavy folk metal, but their influences are medivaml norwegian fairytales , medival sagas, the first two albums espessially deals with fairytales about Trolls ( album is named Troll), and their first album is a medieval legend/saga. so if you want a slight different culural version of medieval,music with rock check out Norwegian medieval influenced music and the band Lumsk who,os mastering the artform ořof blending it with rock, prog, metal, folk and medieval.

Thanks! I will. (Right now...)
Drew Fisher
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 02:48

I will urge you to check out Lumsk, the play a heavy folk metal, but their influences are medivaml norwegian fairytales , medival sagas, the first two albums espessially deals with fairytales about Trolls ( album is named Troll), and their first album is a medieval legend/saga. so if you want a slight different culural version of medieval,music with rock check out Norwegian medieval influenced music and the band Lumsk who,os mastering the artform ořof blending it with rock, prog, metal, folk and medieval.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 22:05

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 21:55
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Oh, I really love medieval sounding music, but I'm afraid I'm not up to looking into everything that has been named in this thread... at least yet. I just got the last "Blackmore's Night" album a few weeks ago, and I have really been enjoying that a lot... though I wouldn't call it prog by any stretch of imagination. I see Focus hasn't been mentioned yet, so a few songs from them might fit the criteria. The Hamburger Concerto album has several medieval sounding moments, plus some other songs from other albums (I at least remember "Elspeth of Nottingham").

i LOVE Focus and Jan Akkerman's forays into medieval music--thanks--but I think I own just about everything Focus or Jan Akkerman did pre-90s.

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 21:53
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^I'm really enjoying the Almanach stuff the most. So far.

Almanach is awesome. You can also try Malicorne IV and L'extraordinaire Tour de France, both excellent. Terrific band!   

Thanks! I stopped at Almanach (after finding out that Gabriel Yacoub was in Alan Stivell's band, I got sidetracked by exploring more Alan Stivell) but plan to continue soon.

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 21:51
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

agree with you about Blackmores night Drew.  It's medieval prog for those who don't like it Sleepy
yeah if you like it without drums, try Steeleye Span's 2 best, "Below the Salt" and "Parcel of Rogues"
For a superb medieval sounding current Italian group, try Corde Oblique
Strawbs "from the witchwood"
Amazing Blondel's first few albums might be more Elizabethan than medieval but definitely sound olde Englishe
Dead Can Dance "Aion" and "Into the labyrinth"
try the German prog folk group Faun or Fauns - yeah even the other german group called Faun has a hard edged sound that borders on medieval at times
Another Italian band called OLOFERNE, especially their s/t album
RED JASPER "A Midsummer Night's dream"
SILVER LINING "The Inner Dragon"
SAD MINSTREL - "The Flight of the Phoenix"
PROMETHEAN - Gazing the Invisible
 IL CASTELLO DI ATLANTE Sono Io Il Signore Delle Terre A Nord has some medieval sounding songs, just a beauty of an album
some early Angelo Branduardi
WOVEN HAND - "Mosaic" creepy and wonderful

Awesome list! I have From The Witchwood, Into The Labyrinth and two Fauns albums, have heard snippets of Corde Oblique, Oloferne, and Woven Hand, and love Il Castello di Atlante but haven't heard this album. So much work to do! THANK YOU!

Drew Fisher
Colin Masson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 19:09
For me Gryphon's first two albums were the empitome of prog medeival\renaissance, midnight Mushrumps (Which was originally written as incidental music for Shakespeare's "The Tempest" remains in my top favourite albums of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNy-Mi1-zE

Edited by Colin Masson - September 26 2013 at 19:22
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 23:58
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

You are to be applauded for recognizing the brilliance of Seven Reizh.
yeah!
will they have a 3rd album?  anyone know?

I think the new CD will be available in 2014. Smile
http://www.seven-reizh.com/

Edited by PhideauxFan - September 25 2013 at 23:59
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 13:59
Try Bededeum, both albums are amazing, as well as the 2 from Gian Castello. 
2 more from Norway's Shine Dion and the 2 from Resonaxis 

Everything in twos !  hmmm! 
Check out reviews for the above and enjoy.  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 13:30
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 12:36
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

I am so ready for more simple, pastoral music but still want my prog. Any more suggestions for medieval/renaissance/baroque-influenced prog. I've got The Geese and The Ghost, Fruupp, Fauns, Eden, Ragnarök, Pererin, Dunwich, Iona, Seven Reizh (to name a few) but want more! I know they're out there! I just need help finding them.

P.S. If there are any other older threads of a similar nature, please clue me in.

yeah!
will they have a 3rd album?  anyone know?
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 12:07

I am so ready for more simple, pastoral music but still want my prog. Any more suggestions for medieval/renaissance/baroque-influenced prog. I've got The Geese and The Ghost, Fruupp, Fauns, Eden, Ragnarök, Pererin, Dunwich, Iona, Seven Reizh (to name a few) but want more! I know they're out there! I just need help finding them.

P.S. If there are any other older threads of a similar nature, please clue me in.

PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 07:54
Vital Duo (France).

Motis (France).

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 01:42
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 22:27
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 22:06
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^I'm really enjoying the Almanach stuff the most. So far.

Almanach is awesome. You can also try Malicorne IV and L'extraordinaire Tour de France, both excellent. Terrific band!   

yeah Almanach is the one I;ve gotten into the most. Definitely go for Steeleye Span albums as I mentioned above
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>