Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost inaccessible Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 06:26
Henry Cow isn't very accessible.... but I still dig it.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 06:30
Art Bears is a bit inaccessible IMO.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 06:55
Kayo Dot and maudlin of the Well (except for 'Part the Second')
This night wounds time.
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 09:49
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

For me Univers Zero and RIO in general. It's why I never really got into them or the genre as a whole. Thinking Plague is another band that comes to mind. I'm sure they are talented but so far I just haven't really gotten into that stuff.

I felt the same way but did a little exploring of the UZ songs and sure enough found some great stuff. These pieces are structured, melodic, a bit off kilter, but highly recommended:

"Parade" - Uzed - 1984

"Les Kobolds" - Clivages - 2010

"Mellotronic" - Implosion - 2004

"Out of Space 4" - Implosion - 2004

"Variations on Mellotronic's Theme" - Implosion - 2004

"Falling Rain Dance" - Implosion - 2004

"Rapt D'Abdallah" - Implosion - 2004

"Apesanteur" - Clivages - 2010

"Heatwave" - Heatwave - 1986

"Presage" - Uzed - 1984

"Dense" - Ceux du Dehors - 1981

"Straight Edge" - Clivages - 2010

Most of their material is stuff I can't listen to, too dark and meandering. But the above pieces I find highly enjoyable.

Edited by schizoidman - November 22 2013 at 20:02
Making the useless useful 24/7.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 18:43
Henry Kaiser and Fred Frith together. With Friends Like These... is rather inaccessible, but I like it all the same.
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 09:22
For my tastes, progressive electronic is the toughest subgenre to appreciate.  Maybe it's just because I'm old (47).  However, I was in grade school during Tangerine Dream's heyday.  I was also a big fan on Ministry back in the 1980's; which deserves to be on this site just as much as Nine Inch Nails does.  I like music with contrast and feeling.  Progressive electronic music is just too static and a little cold for my tastes.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
LostWaxMuseum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 11:59
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

[QUOTE=irrelevant]The sort of cheesy prog that can occasionally sound like Christian rock. 

Cheers to this!
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 12:31
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

The sort of cheesy prog that can occasionally sound like Christian rock. 

Absolutely agree with you...Like Consorzio Acqua Potabile (CAP) ...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 13:15
Originally posted by thwok thwok wrote:

For my tastes, progressive electronic is the toughest subgenre to appreciate.  Maybe it's just because I'm old (47).  However, I was in grade school during Tangerine Dream's heyday.  I was also a big fan on Ministry back in the 1980's; which deserves to be on this site just as much as Nine Inch Nails does.  I like music with contrast and feeling.  Progressive electronic music is just too static and a little cold for my tastes.

Can't see why it would have anything to do with your age.  I'm not that much younger, but love Progressive Electronic.   I got into Kitaro in the 80s, and it was only about ten years ago that I started to really explore classic electronic prog.  Most of what I like, including electronic prog, comes from the 70s.  Igor Wakhevitch, Franco Leprino, Heldon, Bobby Beausoleil, early Tangerine Dream, Klause Schulze, Edgar Froese  Conrad Schnizler,, Zanov, Ricahrd Pinhas, Tim Blake, early Kraftwerk etc.  Just brilliant stull for my tastes.  A lot of it is cold, yes, but one can find contrast and lots of feeling in the music -- sometimes it's just more subtle.

Mostly what I have a problem with is certain kinds of slick Prog that is heavily AOR/ cock rock/ arena rock/ melodic rock (as in the genre) oriented, and/or is, I think, overly flashy.  A lot of what is deemed emotional really doesn't do it for me.  I do commonly love lots of contrast in my music (particularly in the eclectic styles sense).

Edited by Logan - December 19 2013 at 13:26
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 13:24
I'm 31 and I love electronic - it is however something that snuck up on me. Hell I hated most electronic music until I was about 14-15. The older I get, the more different varieties of this music I get into. Maybe when I'm about 90 I'll finally be able to cherish the glitch genre...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 13:35
I would expect people's tastes to evolve and expand over time as they are exposed to new-to-them styles of music and art generally.  I see some people whose opinions on music I suspect have barely changed over decades.  To me music listening is a journey and an adventure of new discoveries, and discovering new avenues of music to get excited about.  Our tastes are built on a series of foundations over time.  I sometimes think that far too many progressive rock listeners are not very progressive when it comes to their comfort zones and expanding their interests.  That said, I didn't like AOR when i was young, and I don't expect to ever become a fan of it.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 13:53
I'm with you there Greg. When I first joined this site, I was under the impression that almost everybody on here was into experimental music - just because they were members of PA. Progressive rock sounded to me like it ALL was right there on the edge of what you can do and can't do musically - always taking chances and all that jazz. Then I suddenly realised that prog was a sticker - not necessarily progressive (in most cases prog is not progressive to my ears), and subsequently I've had to reevaluate my opinion on these matters a couple of times. 
I think most music listeners, be that hip hip connoisseurs or prog rock enthusiasts, tend to stay inside their comfort zones. I've had a hard time trying to kick myself out of my own, but it's tough. I guess the most inaccessible relies on what people are not used to hearing. Sometimes all it takes is time - and other times the music is just badTongue
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Eppingforest181 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 15:59
Oddly enough I never really had a problem getting into magma, or the Zeuhl genre in general. Neo-prog, and math rock are genres that don't really do it for me. 
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 16:48
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I would expect people's tastes to evolve and expand over time as they are exposed to new-to-them styles of music and art generally.  I see some people whose opinions on music I suspect have barely changed over decades.  To me music listening is a journey and an adventure of new discoveries, and discovering new avenues of music to get excited about.  Our tastes are built on a series of foundations over time.  I sometimes think that far too many progressive rock listeners are not very progressive when it comes to their comfort zones and expanding their interests.  That said, I didn't like AOR when i was young, and I don't expect to ever become a fan of it.

I believe in this so much.  My tastes have changed dramatically over time and will continue to.  For me its always been about exploring and leaving my comfort zone, even if that means there's some bands I liked 2-3 years ago that do nothing for me now.  I know my dad strongly dislikes listening to anything outside his comfort zone... I've tried a couple times with some mild material and he just turns it off.  And to be honest, most of my friends seem to be into the same kind of music they were 6 years ago. I could never be like that.  I actually become pretty agitated whenever I haven't gone out and explored in a while.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 00:45
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

Once computers entered the picture for editing and recording.. the game was over.  The new prog is the copy and paste generation.

This is utterly false.

True, yes, false. One example of the original copy and paste prog editing was done by one Eddie Offord c. 1972. Tapes and snippets thereof lying around the studio as Yes tried to piece their ideas together. (It drive Bruford close to the edge of sanity he found solace by being ready for King Crimson).

And then after all that splicing Yes had learn how to play CTTE. Just going by the Chris Welch book on Yes and other things I've read here and there.

Composition takes many forms, some use paper or digital score, others tape machines and editing suites. There are many instruments involved.

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 01:13
I doubt a whole prog sub genre would be inaccessible to me it's a matter of mental adjustment. Take some kraurtrock / electronic for instance. Love T Dream classic era, (absolutely loathed post-that era and was appalled at the content of a whole box set of casio [ rubbish] sounding keyboards. This was horrible to me). Klaus Schulze, great, no problem. Recently tried some Kraftwek. Autobahn. C'mon, life's too short waiting on something that sounds like the soundtrack for a bus stop not a motorway.

I don't mind time and space (oddly playing Tarkus right now) ....but "Fa-fa-fun on the autobahn" as a highlight? I don't think so.

Camel's Breathless was inaccessibly boring to me as well.

Now the inaccessible ... Magma. First tried the Live Album. Probably still the best place to start. It took a while but there was such an intriguiing use of harmony and rhythm. It sounded original (to me) but required patience to "get" what was happening. Not exactly top 40 oriented.  Damn. Still I persisted and ... got it. Other albums and many boots and what a band. Yes, I can understand the pretension. Another word for ambition, to progress from the pack.

So I think I like details, some improv (Miles's various eras) but understated uneventful featureless bland monotony (Kraftwerk) is not going to access me much. But I tried a few times. Not just Kraftwek. There was a Testament album that had the same sounds on the guitars, the same rhythms, the same every damned thing all the time. So fast, so boring. Other than some very nice Spanish guitar at the outset that was the highlight. I think basic rock monotony is inaccessible to me. To much like wall paper.

I do know to stick around for some things. Just because i don't get does not mean I wouldn't or there is nothing to get. When I were a lad I thought Zeppelin's Kashmir was a bit dull. But I was listening with what I have identified as white person listening - from the top down and stop with the guitar (or keyboards  as well for we prog fans). Listened to it from the drums up and... blink. The light went on and the whole thing opened up.

I figured if something is inaccessible listen to one instrument, then two. Ignore the vocals. ;) But there has to be something to "get". A whole lot of nothing is inaccessible. Wink

thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 06:58
I find a lot of post rock/math rock hard to listen to at any length.  Most of it is simply too ambient.  I have tried to listen to Anathema because they're one of the highest rated bands in the subgenre.  It sounds more like new age than rock to my ears.  
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 07:12
Confused Anathema aren't in Post Rock/Math Rock and they sound nothing like New Age.
What?
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 08:20
Rational Diet  and almost all bands of Rock In Opposition. If a depressed man listen to that, he can commit suicide ! Dead

progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 13:52
For me? Neo prog. Can listen to RIO, Kraut, Zeuhl, etc all day, though. Smile

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>