Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCensorship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 09:33

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 09:47

CENSORED !!!
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:04
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

It's an artistic drawing - if you find it titillating then pixelate it, otherwise use it as the artist intended.

There are a number of freeware, online and cloud-based picture editors if you don't have one.

< => I confirm that the image is not sexually suggestive with adult or mature content.
This includes, but is not limited to images containing:
  • Strategically covered nudity
  • Sheer or see-through clothing
  • Lewd or provocative poses
  • Close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches

I am not going to fall foul of the censor by trying to second-guess what it deems sexually suggestive. Because I have seen some ridiculous examples of censorship following this development e.g. cow udders being blurred... and no, I don't get titillated or aroused by them either. Thanks for suggesting I might get titillated by that album cover though. Pathetic. I ask a simple question and that's the kind of reply I get from you.

Not sure what provoked this response from you. I gave a honest answer based upon the information we have - if you find the image titillating then blur it, otherwise use it unblurred - that's not ironic or sarcastic or insulting or demeaning or any thing else - it is the only f**king criteria we have to judge whether GoogleAds will take exception to an album cover so it's the only f**king criteria we can f**king use, if you as a f**king human being find the image to be offensive, provocative, or titiliating or something you would feel embarrassed showing a younger person or your employer then f**king blur it or leave it to someone with f**king better f**king judgement.

I don't find it titillating in the least  but what provoked my response was you suggesting that I might be titillated by it (and I'm not sure why you persist in saying this). When I tried to add the album I got that message (which I posted above) asking to confirm the image wasn't sexually suggestive. I am not aware of which images have been self-edited or edited by Admin/max... in fact, as I said above, I was unaware of ordinary members/Collabs doing the editing. A simple reply from you, stating something along the lines that the album cover doesn't breach the site's rules, would have been fine. I don't know why you felt the need to bring my feelings about it into the discussion. Now you are also questioning my judgement...thanks a lot for that. And there was me trying to being cautious on behalf of the site:  

The site costs money to run. Visitors to the site currently consume 4TB of data a month - that is a huge bandwidth that has to be paid for. Add to that the cost of the maintenance and storage and leasing.

Unless we charge for usage (yeah, right, like that's gonna work) or find a sponsor (not a good idea) then Google Ads are the only viable way of paying for it. So yes, threat of withdrawal of adverts is very serious and very valid. The violation warning notice Max received from Goolge AdSense is very real. If we lose Google Ads we lose the site - plain as.

Personally, I think Google Ads are over reacting and Max is being over-cautious, we need to balance the need for complying with Google's Terms and Conditions and being sensible about it.

Other people have managed to reply to my post without causing offence, I don't know why you have such difficulty doing likewise.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:13
yep indeed
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:23
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

CENSORED !!!
It was cencored enough in 1973, those who know what supposed to be there, know. Smile
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 11:04

It's an artistic drawing - if you find it titillating then pixelate it, otherwise use it as the artist intended.

There are a number of freeware, online and cloud-based picture editors if you don't have one.

< => I confirm that the image is not sexually suggestive with adult or mature content.

I am not going to fall foul of the censor by trying to second-guess what it deems sexually suggestive. Because I have seen some ridiculous examples of censorship following this development e.g. cow udders being blurred... and no, I don't get titillated or aroused by them either. Thanks for suggesting I might get titillated by that album cover though. Pathetic. I ask a simple question and that's the kind of reply I get from you.

Not sure what provoked this response from you. I gave a honest answer based upon the information we have - if you find the image titillating then blur it, otherwise use it unblurred - that's not ironic or sarcastic or insulting or demeaning or any thing else - it is the only f**king criteria we have to judge whether GoogleAds will take exception to an album cover so it's the only f**king criteria we can f**king use, if you as a f**king human being find the image to be offensive, provocative, or titiliating or something you would feel embarrassed showing a younger person or your employer then f**king blur it or leave it to someone with f**king better f**king judgement.

I don't find it titillating in the least  but what provoked my response was you suggesting that I might be titillated by it (and I'm not sure why you persist in saying this).
I don't GET why you took offence in the f**king first place - I was not accusing you of being titillated by the image. I'm still not.All I'm f**king saying is if you think the image may offend then censor it - use your own f**king judgement!

How f**king difficult is it to express something in your own native f**king language!

When I tried to add the album I got that message (which I posted above) asking to confirm the image wasn't sexually suggestive.
That does not mean that some really smart piece of software analysed that particular image and found it questionable.

I am not aware of which images have been self-edited or edited by Admin/max... in fact, as I said above, I was unaware of ordinary members/Collabs doing the editing. A simple reply from you, stating something along the lines that the album cover doesn't breach the site's rules, would have been fine. I don't know why you felt the need to bring my feelings about it into the discussion. Now you are also questioning my judgement...thanks a lot for that. And there was me trying to being cautious on behalf of the site:  
I f**king didn't mention your f**king feelings.

Yes, I do now question your judgement, rightly so it appears.

The site costs money to run. Visitors to the site currently consume 4TB of data a month - that is a huge bandwidth that has to be paid for. Add to that the cost of the maintenance and storage and leasing.

Unless we charge for usage (yeah, right, like that's gonna work) or find a sponsor (not a good idea) then Google Ads are the only viable way of paying for it. So yes, threat of withdrawal of adverts is very serious and very valid. The violation warning notice Max received from Goolge AdSense is very real. If we lose Google Ads we lose the site - plain as.

Personally, I think Google Ads are over reacting and Max is being over-cautious, we need to balance the need for complying with Google's Terms and Conditions and being sensible about it.

Other people have managed to reply to my post without causing offence, I don't know why you have such difficulty doing likewise.

wha???

What?
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 11:15
It seems to me all the above confusion was caused by the misinterpretation of the word titillating (had to look that up in the dictionary) LOL
Back to topic please

I am glad I had no "blurring" to do yet - see? prog metal bands are quite reserved after all Wink

Edited by aapatsos - November 19 2013 at 11:17
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:30

I don't find it titillating in the least  but what provoked my response was you suggesting that I might be titillated by it (and I'm not sure why you persist in saying this).
I don't GET why you took offence in the f**king first place - I was not accusing you of being titillated by the image. I'm still not.All I'm f**king saying is if you think the image may offend then censor it - use your own f**king judgement!

How f**king difficult is it to express something in your own native f**king language!

When I tried to add the album I got that message (which I posted above) asking to confirm the image wasn't sexually suggestive.
That does not mean that some really smart piece of software analysed that particular image and found it questionable.

I am not aware of which images have been self-edited or edited by Admin/max... in fact, as I said above, I was unaware of ordinary members/Collabs doing the editing. A simple reply from you, stating something along the lines that the album cover doesn't breach the site's rules, would have been fine. I don't know why you felt the need to bring my feelings about it into the discussion. Now you are also questioning my judgement...thanks a lot for that. And there was me trying to being cautious on behalf of the site:  
I f**king didn't mention your f**king feelings.

Yes, I do now question your judgement, rightly so it appears.

wha???

You didn't ask me if I thought it might be seen as sexually suggestive, you asked me to pixelate it if I found it titillating. Big difference. I felt insulted and belittled by your remark. If you can't accept that then there's no point discussing it further. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:38
Geez, get a thicker skin dude.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:43
There was no misinterpretation of the word. It is a complete misreading of the whole damn sentence. Stern Smile

It is perfectly on topic so there is no reason to ask us to get "back to topic" - this is the topic.

In the usual PA way, Max has made a change to how we update information on the Artists Database without informing anyone (including the rest of the Admins) and people are seeking clarification on what that means.

I attempted to clarify what that and failed. 

I shall try again:

We cannot police every image uploaded to the PA for content. If the person uploading the image (hereafter known as "you") finds feels *thinks* that the image may possibly cause problems for the PA with the robots at Google AdSense then they should censor the image before uploading it. This means that "you" should use "your" own judgement to decide whether the image is titillating *likely to offend Google AdSense*. 

If, as it now seems, "you" find feel *think* "you" are incapable of making that judgement then I guess we will have to draw up a whole page of guidelines of what is and what is not acceptable. For example since the cover of  Felona e Sorona has been restored to its original state it is safe to assume that all similar artistic drawings and paintings, such as that for Siero progressivo would also be acceptable. 

Stern Smile

Edited by Dean - November 19 2013 at 13:07
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:47

You didn't ask me if I thought it might be seen as sexually suggestive, you asked me to pixelate it if I found it titillating. Big difference. I felt insulted and belittled by your remark. If you can't accept that then there's no point discussing it further. 
offs.

*headdesk*

What?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 13:19
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 13:23
I feel bad, Dean always has to deal with this garbage.

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 15:09
the danger of typed word versus seeing someone's face and communicating. Poor guy, a bit like running a hotel and trying to keep all the guests satisfied with no direction or input from the owners. Admin must be for the dogs.....

" you gotta be crazy, gotta have a real need, gotta sleep on your toes......."
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 21:56
Any updates on this?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 23:30
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 00:19
,any news on when my girls will get de-blurred? 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 01:26
Ha ! The cow's teats on Atom Heart is blurred........seems like red-tape b.s. gone overboard.......

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 30 2013 at 01:27
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 02:05
this site needs more titties
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 03:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Ha ! The cow's teats on Atom Heart is blurred........seems like red-tape b.s. gone overboard.......

Lizten very carefully, I shall say zis only once, or twice....

Originally posted by Dean on 19th November, 2013 Dean on 19th November, 2013 wrote:

AND No, the blurred cows udders in Nogbad's avatar are not an example of ridiculous censorship - it was his own doing as an ironic/sarcastic protest against the censorship This is also true of all the deliberate blurring in many other avatars, including that of three Admins (David, Keshiro and myself). We are all using ridiculous irony to show how stupid the whole thing is.

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>