Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fav Tangerine Dream live recordings
    Posted: October 12 2013 at 03:16
In the spirit of that other thread...

Ricochet
has to be on the list simply because it was my introduction to the group, and I still consider it the peak of the official recordings during the Virgin Records era. I find it interesting how it's rhythmically more involved than either Phaedra or Rubycon, not to mention that peculiar Ancient Egyptian/Greek atmosphere I get from much of TD's mid-'70s output stands out the most here.

Over the last half year I've also been going through the Tangerine Tree live bootleg archive. From that, I've come to become very fond of the 1972 Cologne Klangwald concert. Very interesting because how closely it follows the Zeit album, but embellishes and adapts the structure of the album to a different experience.

There's some more live records from the TT which I'm partial to, will get around to mention them later in the weekend.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 15:29
Pergamon
Logos
Poland

all those are great imo. Poland is monstrously good especially , on and off its my favourite TD album. Pergamon was sort of a dry run for the new line up featruing Schmoelling and you can hear Tangram in it. Very nice and very powerful at times. Logos has some sublime moments although it is also has moments when they seem to have only just about switched on the synths and are strugglng for inspiration ... then it bursts forth..eventually.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 20:48
Poland has remained by favorite TD live album since I first heard it. They outdid themselves with the four sides of that double LP. Some of the best music that line-up or any incarnation of the band exists on Poland.

Pergamon and Logos are both thematically very strong and the latter boasts great synth leads and music that they incorporated into the music for The Keep.

The other "four-sider" I enjoy is Encore. Not all of it is truly "live," but the whole thing is great to get lost in. Side B, "Monolight" is the one I enjoy the most.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 22:02
Encore
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 01:11
That pretty much leaves Live Miles which was okay and has its moments. The only other TD live album I have is the 2000 Volts one featuring a version of purple haze. Haven't listened it for ages but its not too bad from what I remember.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 02:16

I prefer the 'studio-live' albums Encore and Ricochet, they were pieced together and edited (just like their studio albums) from some of their best improvisations of that era.

The actual live improvisations always had some weaker bits as can be heard on their many live bootlegs. From those I like the Reims 1974 and Orange 1975 concerts the most.

I also have fond memories of Poland but now I only like the (less melodic) first and last piece of the concerts.

Edited by Bonnek - October 15 2013 at 02:17
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 02:57
I have heard Poland, but not enough to form an opinion on it. Generally find the albums after Peter Baumann left somewhat hit-and-miss. For the record I prefer the Les Ponts de Cé 1973 and Adelaide 1975 concerts to the Rheims Cathedral one for some reason. Especially the former I'd love to listen to while watching the sunrise from some abandoned ruin of a temple.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply