Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommendations - Early-Hawkwind-esque Psych

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 10:14
perhaps the Cosmic Jokers may be up your alley too, at least the first two albums. also the only album of Arzachel, at least the second side of the vinyl

Edited by BaldJean - October 26 2013 at 10:14

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 06:16
^ Mr Mantis has done his homework !! I'd also include the band AKASHA - they do the space/psych thing amazingly well. Robert Calvert's album 'Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters' is almost a Hawks album in disguise. With lots of comedic segues throughout.
In more recent times there's a band called Architectural Metaphor, they almost out-Wind classic period Hawkwind.

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 26 2013 at 06:18
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 02:42
Amon Düül II's first two LPs are worth a listen, but maybe that is too obvious a pick since their bassist actually ended up playing on In Search of Space. The harder-edged, more guitar-oriented corner of Krautrock should be right up your alley in general, though: Check out the Ash Ra Tempel S/T and early Guru Guru too... in my opinion those two bands are even closer to the mark than ADII.

As far as newer bands go I can recommend Causa Sui, Colour Haze, Dragontears and Los Natas. Also some stuff that isn't on the archives: Check out early Monster Magnet up to and including Superjudge which includes a cover of Brainstorm, but especially also the 25... Tab EP.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 02:05
I seem to remember the early Nektar albums being in that vein: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=549

Edited by UMUR - October 26 2013 at 02:06
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 21:54
Could somebody recommend me some Early-Hawkwind-esque psych? I am a great fan of the messy, psychedelic and energetic sound of Hawkwind's first five albums, particularly "Hawkwind", "Doremi Fasol Latido", and "X In Search of Space".

I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12