Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIMO Mars Volta should be put under fusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMO Mars Volta should be put under fusion
    Posted: August 04 2005 at 11:46

Instead of under "Experimental/Post Rock" with Radiohead, I think The Mars Volta's sound is more of a jazz rock combination. They should be listed under fusion on the archives in my opinion.

Life seemed to him merely like a gallery of how to be.
xhamasaki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 11:50
no they are experimental music, just because they incorporate jazz into their style doesn't mean they're fusion, they also incorporate heavy metal influences, salsa, ska, rock, various punk elements... its purely experimental prog, nothign else
DavidInsabella View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 11:58
Frank Zappa includes all sorts of influences is his music, more than The Mars Volta, (Mainly because of his longer career) and he's classified under fusion.
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:03
Mars Volta fits better under Post-Rock/Exprerimental than Fusion.  They are definately not Fusion.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:05
Originally posted by DavidInsabella DavidInsabella wrote:

Frank Zappa includes all sorts of influences is his music, more than The Mars Volta, (Mainly because of his longer career) and he's classified under fusion.

Not any more. Us collabs pointed this out and shoved him into Avant Prog which is far more appropriate. I'm happy with TMV where they are.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:07

Originally posted by NetsNJFan NetsNJFan wrote:

Mars Volta fits better under Post-Rock/Exprerimental than Fusion.  They are definately not Fusion.
And why not? Omar plays a very jazzy guitar, on Frances there's plenty of saxophone, especially in Cassandra Gemini, they've always played very jazzy music.

I think they belong there. Or at least more than in the post rock category, which has been explained to me only as "using rock instruments for non rock purposes," which probably makes less sence to the speaker than to me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:08
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Not any more. Us collabs pointed this out and shoved him into Avant Prog which is far more appropriate. I'm happy with TMV where they are.
They did what? I liked Zappa where he was.
xhamasaki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:17
 but mars volta is experimental and not post rock
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:21

Originally posted by xhamasaki xhamasaki wrote:

but mars volta is experimental and not post rock
I guess, but I think experimental and progressive kind of go hand in hand.

I still think they should be under fusion. Another example, the Dixie Dregs. All kinds of musical styles, but mainly rock and jazz, therefor they're put under fusion. I think the Mars Volta is the same way. I mean, does anyone else think they compare better next to Brand X than Radiohead?

Infinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:29

definitely not fusion....experimental post/rock post/prog or something.

They obviously have funky/salsa/jazz influences and references but they have not set out to express a deliberate slant on jazz or fusing rock with jazz

I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:30

I think lumping in experimental with post rock is kind of odd, much stranger than throwing cantebury in with RIO. Marsvolta is the polar opposite of post rock, post rock is the use of rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes. TMV puts the ROCK back into progressive rock, I think they should also be put in avant prog. If their history thus far proves anything its that they are going to dabble in even more styles as time moves on. Classifying them as experimental is acceptable, but lumping experimental in with post rock is not however. All the other experimental bands are put in the RIO/Avant-prog section. I think that marsvolta was put in with the post rock so as to placate any 70s prog purists by not having them in the same section as Henry Cow

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:33
Originally posted by Infinity Infinity wrote:

definitely not fusion....experimental post/rock post/prog or something.

They obviously have funky/salsa/jazz influences and references but they have not set out to express a deliberate slant on jazz or fusing rock with jazz

Then why not put them under Avant prog?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 12:34
Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

I think lumping in experimental with post rock is kind of odd, much stranger than throwing cantebury in with RIO. Marsvolta is the polar opposite of post rock, post rock is the use of rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes. TMV puts the ROCK back into progressive rock, I think they should also be put in avant prog. If their history thus far proves anything its that they are going to dabble in even more styles as time moves on. Classifying them as experimental is acceptable, but lumping experimental in with post rock is not however. All the other experimental bands are put in the RIO/Avant-prog section. I think that marsvolta was put in with the post rock so as to placate any 70s prog purists by not having them in the same section as Henry Cow

Great idea!

Besides, like I said, experimental and progressive are kind of the same thing. So why put it in the same category as post rock.

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 14:18
TMV and radiohead are art rock or psychadelia/space rock/ they both used to be in these genres i think.

they have absolutely nothing to do with post rock/experimental, and are nothing like the other bands in that section
The Worthless Recluse
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 14:27
Originally posted by frenchie frenchie wrote:

TMV and radiohead are art rock or psychadelia/space rock/ they both used to be in these genres i think.

they have absolutely nothing to do with post rock/experimental, and are nothing like the other bands in that section
Radohead is fine in the post rock section with those other bands. The Mars Volta shouldn't. I thought it was strange when they were under Art Rock. I think Avant prog would be best. And while we're at it, why not put Mr Bungle there too, they're listed under fusion as well.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 14:41
Why APHODITE'S CHILD is prog folk? 'cause of the elements of traditional greek music on some of their songs? I think it misleading, but luckily only a micro-small fault on a great archive!
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 18:09

Originally posted by frenchie frenchie wrote:

Radohead is fine in the post rock section with those other bands. The Mars Volta shouldn't. I thought it was strange when they were under Art Rock. I think Avant prog would be best. And while we're at it, why not put Mr Bungle there too, they're listed under fusion as well.

have you noticed that radiohead has absolutely nothing to do with post rock?

if you have heard any of the other bands there which are true post rock you will notice radiohead and TMV dont write any sort of music similar to that.

When indie bands like radiohead get put into a prog site they are bound to end up in a section that doesnt suit them cos they arent prog in any way.

TMV cud go in avant garde i suppose but art rock or p/s sounds more appropriate. as for radiohead.
The Worthless Recluse
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 18:28
TMV is experimental prog. It isn't jazz rock although there are some jazzy sections here and there. Art rock is the worst place to put them, because it seems that all questionable and borderline bands are thrown in there.
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 19:01
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

TMV is experimental prog. It isn't jazz rock although there are some jazzy sections here and there. Art rock is the worst place to put them, because it seems that all questionable and borderline bands are thrown in there.

just about all prog is experimental. They just dont belong there and nor does radiohead. what about p/s? any arguements there. they just dont seem like fusion. frances the mute displays a bit of jazz, the other 2 releases dont that much. Seems a lot more like p/s on an overall basis. I dont see why they aren't art rock bands though to be honest.
The Worthless Recluse
alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 21:06

I still say they're Art Rock.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>