Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs King Crimson really Eclectic Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 13:22
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

"progressive rock music discographies from 8,327 bands & artists, 42,059 albums"

Any volunteers want to get started?

All depends how serious and willing you are!

The rest is easy by comparison!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 13:30
sh*t - I've got another 40,000 CD's / Vinyls to collect.......
Mind you if I don't buy any Frank Zappa - I only need another 10.....Smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 13:40
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

I will do it..........they are all crossover

MarvellousLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 15:30
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Tricky prog.

They have slowly become one of my favourite bands. I like the way none of my friends can stand them. That's a sure sign they're doing something right..
LOL
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 03:03
I think they would fit just fine in Heavy Prog since the majority of their albums either have heavy moments or are(LTIA, SABB, Red, Thrak, TCOL,TPTB)

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - November 19 2013 at 03:09
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 03:07
If there is a sub-genre we cannot shoe-horn them into I'd be disappointed - surely they could be squeezed into Zeuhl if we put enough effort into it.
What?
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 03:24

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

If there is a sub-genre we cannot shoe-horn them into I'd be disappointed - surely they could be squeezed into Zeuhl if we put enough effort into it.

Just pick a song with Belew's heavily processed vocals and Trey Gunn's bass style like ProzaKc Blues and you've got a potential case for it LOL

Round 2: fit them into the RPI category.

Edited by Neo-Romantic - November 19 2013 at 03:24
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 04:57
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Tricky prog.

They have slowly become one of my favourite bands. I like the way none of my friends can stand them. That's a sure sign they're doing something right..
LOL
Hm, I can see the attraction of such a reaction - I have a very strange acquaintance who has shunned all late 20th century technologies and now proudly states that his crackly 78's of American black (slave origination) recordings is truly "music of the soul" - His thirst to be in a very exclusive set of listening humanity has been leading him to that for the past 30 years....(he has never owned a CD/DVD player!! or listened to any digital media)Confused
Mind you KC is positively MASSIVE compared to such a niche....LOL

Edited by M27Barney - November 19 2013 at 04:59
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 17:01
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

LOLIntensity Prog. I like it! 
And while we're at it, why not change psych/space to swampy prog?

Yes and yes.

For The record though I think King Crimson are accurately classified here on PA. Eclectic Prog for what the damn thing means can accurately be tied to King Crimson's sound first and for most, but KC are other things at times. Very special band. The face of Prog I think.   
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 17:15
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Tricky prog.

LOL
Hm, I can see the attraction of such a reaction - I have a very strange acquaintance who has shunned all late 20th century technologies and now proudly states that his crackly 78's of American black (slave origination) recordings is truly "music of the soul" - His thirst to be in a very exclusive set of listening humanity has been leading him to that for the past 30 years....(he has never owned a CD/DVD player!! or listened to any digital media)Confused
Mind you KC is positively MASSIVE compared to such a niche....LOL

Make me think of
especially #2 in the article.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 17:58
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Eclectic Prog for what the damn thing means can accurately be tied to King Crimson's sound first and for most

...and to Fripp's fondness for erudite wording. But we could also hear him say  "Er...Lalalala?" onstage; and to keep it simple, didn't he hate KC to be called "prog"?...

Prog Pillar. Dinosaur; Reference Prog. Eclectic Lalala...

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

^ pixie prog

"Pixie Prog" may very much help the newbies !!

DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 08:23
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Before you guys go on and bash me about not really liking King Crimson's music let's think about this critically. I have been having this thought surrounding my mind. Is King Crimson really Eclectic Prog? I do consider their work in the 1970s to be as eclectic as anyone but what about the rest of their career? I do not see any eclecticism in anything since Red in 1974.Step into this discussion to make your assertion about it. This is my assertion. I don't really consider them Eclectic Prog. What about you?

Agreeing with others who have said the same thing on here, I don't consider King Crimson to have had a career beyond the first album. Robert Fripp's career is another matter.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 09:36
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

Before you guys go on and bash me about not really liking King Crimson's music let's think about this critically. I have been having this thought surrounding my mind. Is King Crimson really Eclectic Prog? I do consider their work in the 1970s to be as eclectic as anyone but what about the rest of their career? I do not see any eclecticism in anything since Red in 1974.Step into this discussion to make your assertion about it. This is my assertion. I don't really consider them Eclectic Prog. What about you?

Agreeing with others who have said the same thing on here, I don't consider King Crimson to have had a career beyond the first album. Robert Fripp's career is another matter.
That's interesting;......there was a recent interview/article  with band members and Fripp and he clearly said that it was always a group effort and the sound changed because the band changed over time and Crimson was a sum total of whoever was in the band at the time. He strongly implied he was not the only one who decided what type of music they would play.
But then I suppose Bob could be telling tales.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 09:55
I don't see any contradiction in that - whatever band of musicians were brought together, with only Fripp as the constant - I'm sure it was a communal effort, or at least, could be. That doesn't change the fact that the band originally called King Crimson were no longer together, Fripp merely used the label as a selling tool for whatever projects he fancied at the time.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 10:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

That's interesting;......there was a recent interview/article  with band members and Fripp and he clearly said that it was always a group effort and the sound changed because the band changed over time and Crimson was a sum total of whoever was in the band at the time. He strongly implied he was not the only one who decided what type of music they would play.
But then I suppose Bob could be telling tales.
Wink

I can believe that it was considered a group effort. I can't imagine the 80's King Crimson getting together only to do what Robert Fripp wanted to do. Levin, Bruford, and Belew were well established muscians, and probably wouldn't sign up for something like that.

Did Fripp ever have any input on lyrics? I know he never really wrote them, but did he ever edit them before they made it into the songs?
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 10:30

I don't see any contradiction in that - whatever band of musicians were brought together, with only Fripp as the constant - I'm sure it was a communal effort, or at least, could be. That doesn't change the fact that the band originally called King Crimson were no longer together, Fripp merely used the label as a selling tool for whatever projects he fancied at the time.

So anytime a band changes personnel or breaks up, they should develop a new name? That's what I'm inferring from this.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:32

One way I think Crimso as a communal effort is demonstrated is that every version of the band made improvisation a part of their live shows/studio albums.  Beginning with Moonchild, to the horrible "blows" on Earthbound, to the amazing improvs of the '73/'74 band up through the Thrakattak album of 1996 improvs.  If Crimso was really an iron-fisted-Fripp-only band there's no way he would encourage or allow these improvs that rely on the quality of all musicians to ever be released.  Why give up that much control and risk the reputation of his band if it wasn't really a group effort?

I don't believe it was solely Fripp deciding to use the label as a selling tool as the '81 band was originally intending to call itself "Discipline" and actually played some shows under that name.  I believe I've read it was a group decision to take on the Crimso name even though they were uncomfortable with the expectations that would bring (playing the 70's repertoire, being compared to the '69 band, etc).  

Crimso's eclectic-ism made calling all incarnations of the band the same name logical LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

"progressive rock music discographies from 8,327 bands & artists, 42,059 albums"

Any volunteers want to get started?

All depends how serious and willing you are!

The rest is easy by comparison!

I volunteer to help out if M@x decides to implement it (and if I'm still using the site then).

Multi-tagging albums has always been doable, I think, even though I have read people saying it was too hard since I came here.  It's not like they all need to be tagged, there's no hurry, every member could participate (or limit it to collabs and trusted forum members if necessary -- perhaps people with 100 plus posts), and we could still keep the master categories and genre teams as is.

If M@x were willing to bring in the progfreak system where all members can tag albums (system would log the users who tag them), I'd be fine doing tags for a couple thousand albums over a few months (others could add more tags to my tags or correct errors as they see them).  I'd say that we should still keep the master categories for bands/artists, and keep the genre teams, but just offer the opportunity for members to add tags to albums, using drop-down menus and using a limited number of set tags.  And every time someone does a review they might tag an album (wouldn't be much more effort than rating an album).  It wouldn't be much use to me, though, unless we also had a search function where we could do multi-tag album searches.  If it got abused, well, wouldn't be that big a deal.  I'd like to be able to search for an album that is multi-tagged, say, with psych/ folk/ jazz/ experimental, but then I can always use google and I have, to search for albums in a way that the results will work for me.

EDIT: And yes, I believe that King Crimson is very well-placed in the Eclectic Prog category.

Edited by Logan - December 04 2013 at 13:13
Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 14:19
 I personally dislike dissecting prog into all the little prog sub-genres on here. If it's prog then it's prog. All prog is eclectic, so that term in and of itself is redundant. King Crimson to me is the epitome of prog, and the first real prog group.

Edited by Genital Giant - December 04 2013 at 14:19
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 14:42

I'm sure 'they' used the name KC because of name recognition and I have no problem with that, but I honestly believe that much of what they did under the KC name was not all Fripp and definitely  a communal effort.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>