Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson vs. Rush - 1990's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer based on their 90's output?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [61.19%]
26 [38.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson vs. Rush - 1990's
    Posted: November 23 2013 at 01:38
Now we go to the 1990's, which turned out much less material from both parties. King Crimson came back to life with the release of 'THRAK', their only official studio album of the 90's. They also began an assortment of side projeKcts, which saw some releases, and also opened the door for new ideas in King Crimson's future.

Studio Albums - THRAK, Space Groove (ProjeKct Two)

Rush released three albums this decade, two of them being some of their lowest rated albums sandwiched around the more popular 'Counterparts'. However, Rush went on hiatus in 1996 after the release of 'Test for Echo' due to unfortunate circumstances in Neil Peart's life, and wouldn't return until after the turn of the millennium.

Studio Albums - Roll the Bones, Counterparts, Test for Echo
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 01:39
I went with Rush this decade. I do like THRAK, but Counterparts is better.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 02:02
I also went with Rush. Counterparts was a real return to form after two uneven albums.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 02:16
I only like one album by Rush from the 90's and it is Counterparts, but I think Thrak and Vrooom are much better and certainly more interesting.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 02:18
Nothing much in it. Both produced good albums in the eighties and 00's, while not much to like in the 1990's.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 02:21
Love Thrak
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 03:18
I don't feel comfortable voting because I've never heard Thrak all the way through, but I gotta say, ProjeKct 3 hit a really high point when they recorded Deception of the Thrush. Now THAT was an intense tune! Highly recommend it if you haven't heard it yet. It has some of Fripp's sickest playing ever. For those who are unfamiliar, it's a much better version of The Power to Believe III.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 03:21
King Crimson.

Still, 'Counterparts' is an excellent album anyway.
This night wounds time.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 08:16
With all do respect to Rush, it's Crimson for me.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 08:57
Very difficult, but I'll have to edge with Rush. I never really got the stuff on THRAK, but maybe I should listen to it more. Also, I despise the 2 KC album covers, which probably made it a little easier for me - can't stand a bad album cover! Smile
frankbostick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbostick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 09:14
I confirm: KC FOREVER!!!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 09:18
I just wanted to take a moment to say it's a really funny idea for a poll series/.  LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 15:17
Crimso gets my 90's vote as I like Thrak more than Test for Echo LOL
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 15:21
Rush gets my vote; all 90's KC material im unfamilar with.
Progrockdude
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 15:22
KC
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 16:33
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Now we go to the 1990's, which turned out much less material from both parties. King Crimson came back to life with the release of 'THRAK', their only official studio album of the 90's. They also began an assortment of side projeKcts, which saw some releases, and also opened the door for new ideas in King Crimson's future.

Rush released three albums this decade, two of them being some of their lowest rated albums sandwiched around the more popular 'Counterparts'. However, Rush went on hiatus in 1996 after the release of 'Test for Echo' due to unfortunate circumstances in Neil Peart's life, and wouldn't return until after the turn of the millennium.

Doesn't "Vroom" count as an official 1994 release?
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 23:03
KC for me. I don't really like the 90's Rush albums; Test for Echo is awful IMO.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 19:11
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Doesn't "Vroom" count as an official 1994 release?

I was under the assumption that it was an EP, but I probably should have mentioned it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 19:15
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I just wanted to take a moment to say it's a really funny idea for a poll series/.  LOL

Thanks Big smile

I was just thinking that KC and Rush are both similar in the fact that they both were founded in 1969, and they're two prog bands that have remained more relevant than any other band from the 70's, especially the commonly-known ones. I thought it would make things interesting because they are still very, very different styles of prog.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 21:24
THRAK is pretty awful considering the talent on it. They are not used to their full potential(pretty depressing actually). My least favorite decade of Rush's career but Counterparts beats anything that KC did in the 90s in my opinion

Counterparts> THRAK

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - November 24 2013 at 21:30
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>