Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums The Critics Got Wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 12:00
Melody Maker wasn't readily available in small town Davis, California, so I turned to Rolling Stone, the biggest mag at the time, and on newsstands. TFTO, of course, had many detractors, including RS (who liked "Leaves of Green", though). Relayer was even more savaged, although they faintly praised "To Be Over".

In fairness, they did love The Yes Album, Close To The Edge, and Going For The One, and liked Fragile and Yessongs. 90125 got a positive, though less effusive, review. They even found things to like in Talk, the last review they wrote. They were ho-hum about Yesterdays.

Besides the above, they also hated Tormato, Yesshows, ABWH, and Union. They didn't review Time And A Word or Drama.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 12:01
^They also didn't review Big Generator.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 01:35
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

LA Woman by the Doors is a good album, but there's a popular ratings site out there (I forget which one) that has it rated as the best album on the website. I find that surprising and think it's inaccurate.

"Strange Days" is easily the best album The Doors made. "Waiting For The Sun" would have surpassed it had not the suits in studio interfered with it and wrecked it. The Doors were never the same band afterwards. LA Woman contains a good collection of songs but no thought went into working the songs into a cohesive whole.

Just wondering, how did the suits interfere with and wreck Waiting for the Sun?  What would the un-interfered-with album have looked like?

the band created the epic Celebration of the Lizard and the only bit of that song that got on the album was Not to Touch the Earth. Celebration... was played live though and it was a live favorite for a while. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 07:07
Most of the "electric Miles" albums were originally panned by the critics. Even In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew but no album was universally hated as much as On the Corner. I'll admit its not among my personal favorites either but reviewers called it "Repetitious crap" and an "An insult to the intellect of the people". My personal favorite Big Fun was simply written off as mediocre leftovers from earlier recording sessions (including BB).  

I've read similar things in Downbeat about Herbie Hancocks Mwadishi-albums. Found it. Crossings (they got the title wrong) is just about my favorite album ever. Interesting to read how much of a commercial failure his most creative and interesting period was.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 17 2017 at 07:18
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 07:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

LA Woman by the Doors is a good album, but there's a popular ratings site out there (I forget which one) that has it rated as the best album on the website. I find that surprising and think it's inaccurate.

"Strange Days" is easily the best album The Doors made. "Waiting For The Sun" would have surpassed it had not the suits in studio interfered with it and wrecked it. The Doors were never the same band afterwards. LA Woman contains a good collection of songs but no thought went into working the songs into a cohesive whole.

Just wondering, how did the suits interfere with and wreck Waiting for the Sun?  What would the un-interfered-with album have looked like?

the band created the epic Celebration of the Lizard and the only bit of that song that got on the album was Not to Touch the Earth. Celebration... was played live though and it was a live favorite for a while. 

I think it's about two or three years since Steve (HolyMoly) used this site
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 07:35
Reading through it, it's amazing how much of this thread got reduced to "critics didn't like my favorite album, therefore they're piggish and self-absorbed." Not referring to anyone recent (Saperlipoppete, your post on Hancock is much appreciated), but dissent and direspect are entirely separate. Christgau doesn't like prog? Well he must be pushing a narrative! Trying to suggest others abdicate from music he finds aesthetically displeasing and enjoy the music he does! The horror, the horror...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 08:44
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I think Roger Waters said Animals got fairly bad reviews, one reviewer calling it 'warmed over heavy metal'

Keith Emerson once said that ELP were referred to as a heavy metal band by one music hack.

I think music journalists are generally to be ignored.

I wouldn't call "Animals" Heavy Metal, but in my opinion it certainly is a bad album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 08:49
^^ Very well expressed, mechanicalflattery.

^ Interesting, Jean, why in your opinion is Animals certainly a bad album?
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:05
Funny how that works. Animals is my favourite Floyd album together with Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother (and More actually although it isn't as "strong" of an album as the above mentioned...but it's a charming little bugger to these ears).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:10
I don't get what people find wrong with Animals.
Dogs and Sheep are two of my favorite PF songs. 

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

first of all Pink Floyd start repeating themselves; "Sheep" sounds just like "One of these Days". second they sound like BOFs that can't get their a**** off the seats anymore

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:43
^ repeat themselves? I think Animals is quite unique in their discography. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 09:56
^^ Same Cristi. I can appreciate that someone might not enjoy it, but to believe it to be a bad album (of its ilk) is another matter.

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Funny how that works. Animals is my favourite Floyd album together with Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother (and More actually although it isn't as "strong" of an album as the above mentioned...but it's a charming little bugger to these ears).

Those are my favourites too, though I love every Floyd album up to and including The Wall.

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

first of all Pink Floyd start repeating themselves; "Sheep" sounds just like "One of these Days". second they sound like BOFs that can't get their a**** off the seats anymore

"Sheep" has similarities to "One of These Days", love the track, but it doesn't sound "just like" it. I have no problem with drawing inspiration from earlier material, and actually like many variations on the same theme, or re-worked themes by the same artist. One example would be Magma's Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré , which adapts themes from earlier material, but I think does it with a wonderful result.

I don't believe that Animals sounds that much like any former Pink Floyd album overall, and is hardly one that I would accuse of being derivative or lacking uniqueness in an oeuvre. I have known people who disliked it because it sounded too different from the popular Pink Floyd that they liked.

By BOF, do you mean birds of a feather? I don't get that can't get their arse off the seats impressions at all from the album, except perhaps as a lyrical reference to creeping malaise.

"Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise.
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this
maze?"

Love to read a more detailed review of yours on the album, as I am interested in different perspectives, and to get a fuller picture of your thoughts.

EDiT: Cristi, I missed your last post as I was multitasking while preparing this, but I too find it a pretty unique album -- an unusually unique album in fact (I touched on that in this post and don't want it to seem that I am just "repeating" your notion).

Edited by Logan - September 17 2017 at 10:08
Just a fanboy passin' through.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 11:05
I just listened to the album again, and I think a line from "Dogs" best describes what's wrong with it:

"and it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around".

exactly! the whole album just sounds fat-arsed, or to quote a line from the Amon Düül 2 album "Hi-Jack" (an album that is no better than "Animals"):

"go tell the star his hair is turning gray, all the people disappear and the spotlight is fading away"

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 13:08
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Reading through it, it's amazing how much of this thread got reduced to "critics didn't like my favorite album, therefore they're piggish and self-absorbed." Not referring to anyone recent (Saperlipoppete, your post on Hancock is much appreciated), but dissent and direspect are entirely separate. Christgau doesn't like prog? Well he must be pushing a narrative! Trying to suggest others abdicate from music he finds aesthetically displeasing and enjoy the music he does! The horror, the horror...
Haha well put - and thanks! However I stumbled over a seemingly well researched post at Yesfans: Rolling Stone magazine and Progressive Rock and the kind of attitude and lack of openess towards prog or just artistic ambition many of their journalists had back then kind of bugs me. 

...The use of technology, which for many Rolling Stone reviewers included Mellotrons, Moogs and other synthesisers, was viewed by many as outside the bounds of rock and roll. But of course these were staple instruments in most progressive rock groups of the era and they were often described as 'keyboard-centred' or 'keyboard-oriented'. Dave Marsh noted that art rock had a 'general obsession with synthesizers and other gadgets'. An early example was Ed Ward's review of In the Wake of Poseidon which is described as 'more Mellotron death of the universe rock from King Crimson'. Ward's disdain for Abbey Road was partly based on his dislike on how the sounds had been manufactured with Moog, tape splice and other electronic gimmickry to 'create a sound that could not possibly exist outside of the studio'...

...The virtuosity of many of the musicians in the genre became problematic for some reviewers as taunts of intellectual arrogance were made. Dave Marsh summed it up when he said that the genre espoused 'a kind of a class based cult of musicianship, which is truly arrogant because it refuses to articulate just what moods its complex structures are meant to evoke. Eclectic experimentalism is determinedly middle class.' So the problem was a mix of intelligence, education and social class. Progressive rock attracted a better educated musician and audience and did not try to pander to the lowest common denominator. Roger Dean once told me that Yes fans were comprised mainly of university or college students in the 1970s, a different demographic to the fans of most other rock groups...

There's many more examples. I think all art deserves to be judged for what it has set out to achieve and not be criticized for what it isn't - nor tries to be (rock 'n roll in this context). 

-No matter how negative the review I would most certainly had run to the nearest record shop to get my hands on that Mellotron death of the universe rock-album though.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 17 2017 at 13:10
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 13:52
How about these gems from the prog hating RS writer Robert Christgau.

Close to the Edge [Atlantic, 1972]
What a waste. They come up with a refrain that sums up everything they do--"I get up I get down"--and apply it only to their ostensible theme, which is the "seasons of man" or something like that. They segue effortlessly from Bach to harpsichord to bluesy rock and roll and don't mean to be funny. Conclusion: At the level of attention they deserve they're a one-idea group. Especially with Jon and Rick up front. C+

Tales from Topographic Oceans [Atlantic, 1974]
Nice "passages" here, as they say, but what flatulent quasisymphonies--the whole is definitely less than the sum of its parts, and some of the parts are pretty negligible. I mean, howcum they didn't choose to echo Graeco-Roman, Hebrew, and African culture as well as the lost Indian, Chinese, Central American, and Atlantean ones? Typical hyperromantic exoticism is one answer, and everybody would know they're full of sh*t is the other. C

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 14:02
"Flatulent quasisymphonies"! LMAO!
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 14:17
The distinction I would note with Christgau is that he criticizes prog (and metal, among other genres) not for being ambitious, but for those ambitions being (ostensibly) unfulfilled. He regards Yes not as rebels against constraining conventions, but merely as artificial psuedosensitive college boys arbitrarily assembling shallow influences from a dozen haphazard sources. Granted, he's wrong, but his wrongness is not inherently anti-intellectual or pro-status quo. He likes a great deal of experimental and "progressive" music, just not those groups he views as undeservedly grandiose. If Yes is as great as we all believe, the detractors should be welcomed and confronted, not dismissed offhandedly. At the risk of sounding platitudinous, confronting opposing viewpoints really is valuable not just for understanding the beliefs of others, but for understanding your own. 

And there really needs to be prog album titled Flatulent Quasisymphonies...

Edited by mechanicalflattery - September 17 2017 at 14:19
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 18:25
At our age, or mine at least, I AM a Fla-----

Um. Nvm.

Any recording that has generated the volume of debate and the extreme variance of opinion over as great a period of time almost by default must now be viewed as greatly underrated.

If not classic.

For such is TALES. Made for this thread.

Edited by Frankh - September 17 2017 at 18:28
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 22:52
Close to the Edge. I think Robert Christgau gave it a C plus which is actually pretty good for a prog album by that turkey. It sold ok back in the day and eventually went platinum but then prog went out of fashion and unlike Dark side of the moon it was forgotten for about thirty years or so(aside from yes fanatics). Recently however, as in the past ten years, it has garnered all sorts of praise and even has a cruise that is named in it's honor(cruise to the edge). It also has shown up in lots of lists(and books)as being regarded as one of the top prog albums of all time. Meanwhile in the larger non prog world it is still a tiny little album in comparison to Dark side of the Moon(sales wise that is). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 17 2017 at 22:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>