Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy not more ratings for Gentle Giant albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 19:34
Who's that laying on the floor, Derek or Ray? LOL

A fresh beer for the just arrived Giants

Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends… Ladies and Gentlemen, Emerson, Lake & Palmer is a 1974 live album by progressive rock band Emerson, Lake & Palmer, originally released as a three-disk vinyl album, but is now a double CD, in a gatefold cover, the inside of which used the letters “E”, “L” and “P” as retainers for the individual disks.

The album reached #4 on the Billboard album chart making it ELP’s highest charting album in the US.

Now, after the fun, let me say that I have the outmost respect for GG
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 19:41
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

WAT!? You've rated their albums but don't own any!? You "love" Power & Glory but have only heard it a couple of times!?

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ELP were a band for the moment BUT I do think if people can splurge 5 stars ratings all over Haken with gay abandon then my core understanding of what is inspirational and important music has gone missing.
This is what happens in the era of digital music, when listening to tons of music is so easy that it becomes gratuitous.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 19:48
This thread escalated quickly.. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 19:56
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Who's that laying on the floor, Derek or Ray? LOL

Ah, that must be the infamous "Tiger in a Spotlight" LOL
Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 01:37
I love King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, etc., but for me, Gentle Giant is the most sophisticated and complicated prog ever written. Love these guys to death. They are the apex for me for what is possible within the genre. I don't think any other band had the arrangement/composition chops these guys had.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 16:43
Originally posted by Genital Giant Genital Giant wrote:

[/QUOTE]
<

What a username.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 16:45
Be glad there is no avatar to accompany it
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 17:19
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Be glad there is no avatar to accompany it

Ha! I've really gotta work on something..... ;)
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 17:53
I laughed out loud when i first saw it a while ago. 
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 21:46

Edited by Prog_Traveller - December 04 2013 at 22:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 21:49
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

]  Please reference which prog sites you are referring to, please. No one in the history of inane prog banter has ever listed Gentle Giant in the big five. Until now, of course.

Biff Kennedy who is a well known(in local radio in my area anyway) prog expert and does the WXPN prog show every year with Dan Reed confirmed when Dan asked if GG were part of the big five. Bif said "oh certainly." Apart from that most fans on progressive ears mention GG when discussing big five or big six lists. I was on there for a long time and saw several of these lists. In all seriousness this is the first time a bunch of people(prog fans no less)have insisted that GG are not qualified to be in any big five list(popular or not). I only started this thread because it seems that members on here don't have a handle on how influential or important this band really are. My suspicions are confirmed with some of these responses and I have to say that I am truly disappointed.

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

The "big five" or "first tier" is purely a popularity thing, not counting just within tight-knit prog circles. So GG are most certainly not a part of either list. 

Well I guess it depends on who you talk to. Typically it's as much about who is important as who is popular. GG are mentioned more than RUSH are despite the fact that RUSH are more popular and well known. Even so I suppose according to you ELP wouldn't be on there because PF, YES, JT, RUSH, Kansas and Genesis have all sold more than ELP. As I've said before ELP's popularity among prog collector's has waned a bit. They aren't typically considered as important as they once were imo. But as I said before my poll(on this site no less!!!!)( so obviously it's just a few vocal anti GG fans in this thread arguing with me)showed more votes for GG than ELP. Believe it or not I am just as much of an ELP fan as I am a GG fan. That's not what this is all about. It's about giving credit where credit is due.

My only explanation for this lack of GG's respect is that a lot of you are younger fans(I won't say kiddies this time since some of you can't handle my humor)and you haven't been exposed to GG to the degree that you have ELP.

Most of the big five lists I have seen go like this(and I will admit GG aren't always on there but they usually are and they are on there just as much as ELP are if not more so):

ELP                                    Yes                               GG           GG
GG                                      Genesis                      Yes          PF
Genesis                            Pink Floyd                    KC           JT
YES                                    GG                                 JT            Yes
King Crimson                   KC                                 PF           KC

Typically those who aren't fans of a certain band will not put them on their list. If I was going strictly by album sales the big five would be:  Yes JT PF Genesis Moody Blues  If only seventies big five by popularity then yeah ELP would be in there but Genesis wouldn't and would that make sense for a prog list? It would be MB- JT- PF- ELP- KC (Genesis had no gold albums until 1978 but in the court of the crimson king was certified gold in 1977). Now do you see how silly it is if you go strictly by popularity in the seventies? Tongue This of course is from a US perspective.

I've just noticed that GG have 5 albums in the Progarchives top 100. ELP? They have one(their first). Match point. :D

Edited by Prog_Traveller - December 05 2013 at 00:50
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 22:14
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

He's got giant genitals to pull it off. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 22:19
^Well that's besides the point. Really, I didn't want to have two posts that were pretty much identical and was not able to delete the first one. Thanks for having confidence in me though. Smile

I thought of the term Genital Giant a few years ago though. According to some hardcore GG fans it wasn't new to them though. Oh well. However, I never heard anyone say Jenny Sis until after I did.

Anyway, as for the rest of this discussion, I'm done arguing(hopefully). We'll all have to just agree to disagree. Smile

Edited by Prog_Traveller - December 04 2013 at 22:35
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 23:32

I thought of the term Genital Giant a few years ago though. According to some hardcore GG fans it wasn't new to them though. Oh well. However, I never heard anyone say Jenny Sis until after I did.

Do you want a medal or something? I was in a prog band in the 80's called Genital Giant.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 00:24

Do you want a medal or something? I was in a prog band in the 80's called Genital Giant.

I wouldn't tell that to many people unless they were GG fans. They might not understand the joke. Smile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 01:31

I wouldn't tell that to many people unless they were GG fans. They might not understand the joke. Smile

oh, it's no joke.... Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 04:57
[Likewise you cannot cite a progarchives poll in the same breath that you blame its membership for its relatively low profile on the website]

Not the same breath. But regardless, I can do that because they are two separate issues. One is the bigger issue and one is just their battle with ELP. Smile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 18:14
One thing that is tough about Gentle Giant is the sophistication and complexity of their music tends to go over most people's heads, even a lot of Prog fans. I'm a musician and a composer, and I've frankly never run into another GG fan who wasn't at least a musician themselves. I'm not saying you have to be a musician to appreciate GG, but it sure seems to help.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 22:18

One thing that is tough about Gentle Giant is the sophistication and complexity of their music tends to go over most people's heads, even a lot of Prog fans. I'm a musician and a composer, and I've frankly never run into another GG fan who wasn't at least a musician themselves. I'm not saying you have to be a musician to appreciate GG, but it sure seems to help.
That may be;.....just curious.... how old are you and what instrument do you play?
Smile

I'm currently re-listening to the 7 GG studio albums I own and I'm on In A Glass House currently.
Some really fine songs but for me there are always a couple on every album that seem more like an exercise in 'self-indulgence ' and/or experimentation than true 'song craft'. And that's not meant as a negative comment per se.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 00:02
I am not a musician and I adore Gentle Giant.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>