Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 02:21
But. Is it not a case in point that after about 1977, what you're listening to is not so much "Hawkwind" as "Dave Brock" ? ;-)

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 02:43
Alan Davey was a good find on the bass. Random thought.......
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:32
When a band release music with Samantha Fox and Lene Lovich guesting, anyone who buys the resulting dross has lost all power of critical thought. 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 14:00
^ At least Sam is a friend of Lemmy's
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 14:12
I think only Current 93 and Damo Suzuki's Network have more surprising lists of collaborators than Hawkwind.

Which reminds me, how true are the rumours that Hawkwind had behind-the-scenes connections to the Brotherhood of Eternal Love "LSD mafia" by way of the Frendz fanzine? A conspiracy blog I follow semi-regularly has done a multipart (I, II, III, IV) biography of one of that organization's central dramatis personae Ronald Stark. Frendz and for that matter Hawkwind are touched on briefly, though the rabbit hole appears to go much deeper from Scientology and the US Navy over the "Angry Brigades" and Palestinian nationalists to exiled Italian ex-fascists.

Man, the 1970s were a strange decade...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 06:06
Just to bump up this thread as I approach my personal 40th anniversary of seeing this great band live.  What's more, it was recorded for posterity: 'Robot' and 'High Rise' from PXR5 were both recorded at the gig I attended at Leicester in 77.  The great thing about Hawkwind is that they both refused to compromise while being in tune with musical developments from the late 70s as prog started to fall apart.  I continue to admire them for that - and they kept their audience.  I will be celebrating 40 years of Hawkwind gigs in May at the Roundhouse in London.  
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 11:25
Lots of weird sh*t from these guys. They never get stale. I even like Distant Horizons where Alan Davey threw in the towel. Too bad because he was right there in the spirit of the early days. Some great albums with him. Haven't heard the latest Into The Woods but it seems that Dave Brock is immortal. First album I got was Space Ritual back in the seventies and played the crap out of it driving more than a few people crazy. Warrior On The Edge of Time remains their piece de resistance. One of my faves is The Xenon Codex which seems to be their lost classic. Very cool album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 11:35
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Lots of weird sh*t from these guys. They never get stale. I even like Distant Horizons where Alan Davey threw in the towel. Too bad because he was right there in the spirit of the early days. Some great albums with him. Haven't heard the latest Into The Woods but it seems that Dave Brock is immortal. First album I got was Space Ritual back in the seventies and played the crap out of it driving more than a few people crazy. Warrior On The Edge of Time remains their piece de resistance. One of my faves is The Xenon Codex which seems to be their lost classic. Very cool album.

I must revisit Xenon. I used to have that thing on cassette! I was quite fond of "The War I Survived."

Warrior is indeed a beloved favorite, but I actually enjoy Chronicle of the Black Sword more, believe it or not.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 14:29
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

When a band release music with Samantha Fox and Lene Lovich guesting, anyone who buys the resulting dross has lost all power of critical thought. 

ahem. Peter Hammill made the excellent "The Fall of the House of Usher" with Lene Lovich in the role of Madeleine Usher

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 02:23
I have lost all power of critical thought!
King Lerxst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 09:28
I'm listening to "Live '79 - UK Winter Tour" just now and reading some of the earlier comments.  Having jumped on the Hawkwind bandwagon relatively late in life I did not follow their development in real time, rather I sampled various incarnations of the band as I acquired albums. 

Changes in personnel lead to different sounds and it has to be acknowledged that the Hawkwind of 2017 is not the Hawkwind of 1987 or of 1977.  I'm not prepared to say any particular line-up is better than any other, just different and whether a person likes or dislikes the music is a matter of personal taste. 

What I do like is that Hawkwind continue to evolve and make interesting music.  My most recent purchase (The Machine Stops) hasn't captured me yet but I loved Onward from the very first listen.  Here's hoping the band continue on for many more years.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 12:10
Lerxst, check out The Xenon Codex from '88. After many years, I've revisited it...and I love it! Clap
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 05:56
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

maybe I`ve lost all critical thoughts then! long live HAWKWIND
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 17:08
Strong albums, weak albums, changes in line up, whatever.. Hawkwind are an institution, a family with a strong, long standing a passionate fan base, still after all these years. Thats what makes them special and unique. The fact that ex members involvements and roles within the band are still discussed in fairly heated terms shows how much 'love' there is for them. 'Hero worship'?..no.. but so what if there was?? Ive seen them (literally) too many times to remember and regardless of the percieved quality of their recorded output at the time (and occasionally the quality of their live performancesWink) i always felt them closer to and more approachable by their fans than pretty much any other band ive had any involvement with. Yeah.. Long live Hawkwind, with all its multi-coloured, noisy, fantastic flawed gemsThumbs Up

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 02:28
^ F---in' well said!!  Other bands come and go...long live the Hawks!
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 04:13
I even listen to some of their poorer quality recordings such as Bring me the head and Live At The BBC. You always get something different with Hawkwind ( including lineups! ). Still have my original In Search Of Space and Space Ritual  vinyl copies plus others! Only album I can't get into is Alien 4. Just gets too carried away with alien abduction sh*t.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 10:14
Just started listening to their early stuff recently. Really liking Lemmy's bass playing and how through all the other stuff going on the bass is keeping the music (or maybe the listener) from flying away.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
SignOfZeta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 19:59
I was never really into Hawkwind, barely even aware of their existence really, until a few years ago when I got Space Ritual.

It's one INCREDIBLE record. It's terrifying, like the anti-Genesis/Yes in a way, but if you keep from pooping your pants during a Sonic Attack it's one of the best live albums I've ever heard. The best live prog album I have, for sure.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 11:23
Originally posted by SignOfZeta SignOfZeta wrote:

I was never really into Hawkwind, barely even aware of their existence really, until a few years ago when I got Space Ritual.

It's one INCREDIBLE record. It's terrifying, like the anti-Genesis/Yes in a way, but if you keep from pooping your pants during a Sonic Attack it's one of the best live albums I've ever heard. The best live prog album I have, for sure.

There is just one thing wrong with "Space Ritual": That it is only audio and not video. Seeing that light show and Stacia doing her thing on stage would be sublime. Stacia with her imposing 6'4'' and her opulent figure must have appeared like a primeval Goddess to the stoned spectators. A Venus figurine like the Venus of Lespugue or the Venus of Willendorf come to life.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 15:34
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Stacia with her imposing 6'4''

WOW. I did NOT know that! Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>