Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 13:09
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Luis and Tom, my point is that HW don't show that influence as readily or do quite the same things with it as ELP/Genesis/KC etc. (and perhaps not from the exact same sources either)
Well, they loved their droogs (often leads to sloppy work, but they often abstained whilst recording from the late-70's onward)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 13:12
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Luis and Tom, my point is that HW don't show that influence as readily or do quite the same things with it as ELP/Genesis/KC etc. (and perhaps not from the exact same sources either)
Well, they loved their droogs (which lead to sloppy work - Brocky ended up banning drug use during many a recording session from Astounding Sounds onwards). I think Alan Davey is up there amongst the great Prog bassists, try his solo album 'Captured Rotation'.
qwiksand View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 14:23
Super band but dogged by poor quality control as even on their best albums they always had filler material (and on their poorest more filler than good stuff. However when they were good they were very good.

Like some of you have mentioned I wasn't impressed by In Search of Space when I first heard it. Hall of the Mountain Grill was the one that hooked me enough to make me buy the earlier ones and they soon became a favourite. Over the last year or so I finally got round to buying all the studio albums and love a good number of them (even some of the ones with poor ratings on here).
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 15:33
Before 1976 I find their compositions very amateur. It's just hard punk rock with some space synth. When Lemmy left they instantly sounded miles better. Love astounding sounds. The next 3 albums were solid then Levitaton is very good. Don't really like anything outside the 1976-80 period though apart from the occasional track
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 16:42
Dave Brock's rhythm guitar playing is also very inventive from the S/T and onwards. Not to mention the '72-'75 lineup having one of my favourite rhythm sections ever in the tag team of a young Lemmy Kilmister and the criminally underrated Simon King.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 17:53
^Lemmy and King were inseperable, but it's Chadwick and Davey who are Hawks dream-team rhythm section IMO.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 17:55
I was about  to start a "where do I start with Hawkiwind?" type of thread- but I remembered to do a search...

Any recommendations?

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 18:10
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

I was about  to start a "where do I start with Hawkiwind?" type of thread- but I remembered to do a search...

Any recommendations?

You should start with Space Ritual and it is probably Marmite.  Then Warrior on the Edge of Time which is probably the preferred dose of Hawkwind on this site.  Then you should listen to Quark Strangeness and Charm. 

If you haven't been put off then listen to any of their 70s output. 
Help me I'm falling!
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 18:27
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

Any recommendations?

You should start with Space Ritual and it is probably Marmite.  Then Warrior on the Edge of Time which is probably the preferred dose of Hawkwind on this site.  Then you should listen to Quark Strangeness and Charm. 

If you haven't been put off then listen to any of their 70s output. 

Thumbs Up
Beer

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 03:15
I started with Hall of the Mountain Grill. Along with Warrior... that LP is probably the closest to archetypical British early-'70s progressive rock as those albums represent HW's flirtation with a more symphonic style.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 12:39
Today I saw a 3CD set called "Parallel Universe" - is it any good?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 17:07

I agree, except for starting with Space Ritual. Probably not the best starting point for noobs.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 18:24

The Current line up ( the most staple in there history ) have been recording and playing some the Best Hawkwind stuff  for a many a long year there last few albums have been  brilliant fresh vibrant space rock/prog that you can find anywhere  out there today.   

I always find it amusing in Hawkwind threads that a band that have been flying for 40 OD years are then judged by a 10 year period in the 70s  , there some people say there was poor albums in the 80s utter tosh  they made some stunning music in that period .

and through the early 90s and on they again made some stunning FRESH Vibrant  space prog and ambient music
Electric Tepee and  It's the Business of the future to be Dangerous are two stunningly brilliant albums.  

And then there is Calvert Charisma years,  Calvert song writing is second to none all backed up Dave Brock mastery Of the  space rock realm.

Judging a band who been plying there trad for  40 years by just hearing a few there albums seems a tad silly.

All there Core studio albums are well worth having , dont judge a band by the Od weird put together studio out takes and demos and bits of live stuff  of which for Hawkwind there is plenty out there.

All There core studio albums are rather good in there own hawkish way.

Onward Fly's the Bird .....................

Edited by Hawkwise - January 19 2014 at 18:27
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 18:42
I may have mentioned this previously but of all the bands in prog, there is no one quite like Hawkwind in that if you rely on studio or live albums, you really don't get the full picture. I saw Lemmy's last concert in Montreal and that was a life-changing experience. Could not listen to anything after that show for 3 days! Montreal Jazz festival founder Andre Menard actually promoted that gig and still considers it among the top 10 shows he had ever seen (along with Soft Machine). Once you see them live, the opinion varies immensely on their value to prog.  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 12:03
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I agree, except for starting with Space Ritual. Probably not the best starting point for noobs.

I know what you mean, however, I'm basing my recommendations on my own experience. A friend at school lent me Space Ritual and I loved it immediately. I can't understand anyone not liking it. Although, having said that, even though for Hawkfans Space Ritual is the pot of spacedust at the end of the rainbow, progfans may find it a little repetitive and unproggy. For me I find something new every time I listen to it, even after 30 years (Ugh no!), it is a godlikebrainf**k of an album! My only criticism is some of Bob's poetry.

I would add that Hawkwise is entirely correct and I apologise. Hawkwind history does not stop with Levitation. I have bought Onward and Blood recently and they are both cracking albums highly recommended stuff and might even be preferable to younger space-ears.

Earth calling, this is Earth Calling, Earth calling........   

Edited by akamaisondufromage - January 20 2014 at 12:06
Help me I'm falling!
TQ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 18:12
In search of something more 'progressive' (more challenging) I bought Space Ritual when I was about 17. I was confused for about half an hour and then it just clicked. I have seen them tons of times since, sometimes they are sublime, sometimes, well, rubbish. But that's part of what makes them great - they are forever shifting around their central sound without ever going too far.
But they are not really progressive now. I think Radiohead and Bjork are truly progressive.     
Gryphon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 22:38
hawkwind in the 70's - great band. after that - not so great.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 04:39
Has anyone else noticed Hawkwind's influence on 1980s goth rock: Christian Death, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees etc.? The entire technically minimalistic yet texturally elaborate soundscape-building composition style focused around driving basslines is very similar, as is the atmosphere of otherworldly pulp fiction camp.(just Hammer horror instead of New Wave science-fiction) Not to mention that I just realized how much Rozz Williams sounded like an evil version of Bob Calvert.

The other '60s/'70s psych influence on '80s goth, that of The Doors, is one people are much more willing to acknowledge probably because Ian Astbury ended up singing for them when they reunited.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 11:55
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

Hawkwind has been my favourite band for a year now, and it seems that they are generally regarded as one of the greats of space rock. But how come their albums are so lowly rated here on progarchives? I have heard the argument "their musicality is too messy", but then how come albums like 'Trout Mask Replica' are rated so highly? I don't really mind, but it seems to me that the founders of space-rock should get more recognition in an online progressive rock community.

BTW, to all you Hawkwind fans, check out Nik-Turner's "Space Gypsy". Fantastical sh*t.
I'm sure those who review Hawkwind on P.A. can't disregard their repeated chord progressions, find it annoying, and haven't the respect for their innovative credits. Even on Quark, Strangeness, and Charm there are progressions that repeat too often...however in this case..you had Simon House soloing on violin and Calvert insisting that the band be more tight in the area of composition with less extended jamming. Calvert often told stories over the endless repeating chord progressions which made Hawkwind less boring and much more desirable. 'Trout Mask Replica" was the result of band members  living in a commune environment with cult leader Captain Beefheart. One guy was sent out monthly to cash in chips to buy cans of beans. The music was well constructed and although not melodic , it took hours to play it right. A couple of Beefheart's members struggled recovering from the recording sessions in that house. It went on for months. The members were not allowed to leave the house. One member became a Christian, started eating again..and found a more positive direction to live his life.  
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:12

I loved the Calvert years the best. Also Huw LLoyd Langton's contributions in the 80's. "Sea King" and 'Solitary Mind Games" were great songs. I also like "Sword of the East" from Xeon Codex. Warrior On the Edge Of Time , Hall of the Mountain Grill, and In Search Of Space were the first albums I heard. I liked every period of Hawkwind until they hired Arthur Brown ,,,whose voice does not fit the Hawkwind style. He sat on stage reading the lyrics and sometimes ...still getting the words wrong...like Elvis did with "My Way" He can recite a Satanic mass, but he can't get the Hawkwind lyrics right? I'm not serious...I'm only joking. I've owned many recordings of Arthur Brown and Vincent Crane...and probably around 75 Hawkwind cd's. and not counting all the off shoot bands along with complete collections of solo works from most of the Hawkwind band members for decades. I am up and down with Dave Brock's writing, but it doesn't stop me from liking many of Hawkwind's albums. I only enjoy periods of their career. I saw Bridget Wishhart with Hawkwind at the Ambler Cafe and she put on the perfect Space Rock show with an outstanding presentation. She would constantly, through out the night, exit the stage to change her costumes. She covered many Calvert songs, wore the costume fitting to the story, and acted out parts along with dance performance. What a great show! It was like revisiting Calvert for an evening...but I knew she was going to leave or be sacked by Dave Brock. That's been an on going pattern for decades. With Ginger Baker I could understand why Brock would make that choice....but it's been sad to see all the great members come and go. The innovative Hawkwind members that were very special.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>