Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 09:38
This negative response to Hawkwind from an abundance of people dates back , (for me), to the year of 1973 when I brought Space Ritual to a Rock journalist's house ...who at the time , was my manager. He had connections, was interviewing Rick Wakeman over the phone..when I walked into his quarters..blah, blah   whispering to me that I should pick up the other end and listen. A lot of journalists I've met over the many years in the music business dislike Hawkwind and it all seems to stem from this cold judgement that Hawkwind have zero ability in the department of writing. Nonsense!  They are mostly being "hot shots" on a mission to flaunt their personal ego to everyone and all that bragging they do about their position in life makes me feel ill. I'm sure that Dave Brock feels the same way, regarding this situation revolving around the higher levels one obtains in the music business.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 09:50
Levitation was well produced and demonstrated (on certain tracks), that a more serious ,musicianship side to Hawkwind existed. If you crank this up running through JBL Tower speakers? It's a fine production, Dave Brock has a very distinctive vocal sound and a very interesting style of vocal phrasing. Huw LLoyd Langton plays Classical nylon string on different tracks, Ginger Baker's drums sound mighty and daring. The mighty Ginger Baker , ex Cream member now playing with a band you've already followed for 10 years. At one point....Ginger Baker approached Dave Brock and suggested that he fire Harvey Bainbridge and bring in Jack Bruce. Dave Brock valued his friendship with Bainbridge and told Baker..."No Ginger, In fact it is you that's going" "Please .....pack your drums and leave" 

Edited by TODDLER - February 11 2014 at 10:38
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 10:01

I saw them in Philadelphia , years ago...and just after Huw LLoyd Langton had departed. I was standing in line with my ticket when I noticed a guy running across the street and a car slamming the breaks and almost crashing into him...and wow...it turned out to be Dave Brock. He approached the sidewalk, lifted his arms in the air and explained to us that he couldn't get used to the highways and streets in America. He attempted to explain that In England ...everything is reversed and the driver's seat is to the right and so on..you know the deal? Then he walks over to the door, turns to us and says...."Oh, by the way...I hope we sound good tonight, because last night we sucked." I was laughing my head off. I thought he was a really interesting character and Hawkwind were amazing that night.

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 10:18

Dave Brock has stated in the past...how the lyrics of Calvert were stories/predictions of the future and that most of them that exist in the present day are accurate. There are many beautiful things Brock misses in the friendship he had with Bob Calvert. In those days...Calvert was a fine writer...but..he was trying to be a Sci-Fi writer in real life while he was wrapped up in the music business. Dave Brock has been through some of the more lousy experiences in the music business. He is very angered and annoyed by the fact that Dave Anderson has been releasing between 2 to 3 new Hawkwind compilation cd's per year. Brock took legal action ..but he was faced with the task of someone on his team catching Anderson "red handed". No royalties for Brock in this case and the Hawkwind cd's keep surfacing. Brock recently had a confrontaion/debate with Nick Turner over who should be using the name Hawkwind. I do believe in my heart that Hawkwind is Dave Brock's band.

Edited by TODDLER - February 11 2014 at 10:20
arctarus2708 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 01:06
I came to Hawkwind thru a friend's sister back in the mid 70's. it was their 1st album.. the weirdest in my opinion, never the less the more you played it and the more the hook went in... lots of bands have "concepts" & "themes"... Hawkwind were a little more committed than most....Hell just read the blurb on the back of their doreimefaslatido album (the one that introduces the band members)....the music has a passion and later their lyrical content had Calvert's touch.... What's not to like.. as far as popularity...I think that you kinda have to actively work and really listen...most people just listen to music to "fill in"...they lack the commitment..I think this is also true for the many other great, but obscure, bands that are out there...I'm 54 and still looking at new bands now...that journey started with Hawkwind
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 06:35
I have to say I don't understand the respect Simon King gets. What's it based on??

It's a genuine question. I'm a drummer, and I can't hear what's good about him. Is it just the 'energy' he plays with??
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 15:51
What I like about Simon King's style is how good he was at adapting the droning "Motorik" style of percussion to something that really rocks, his creatively detailed way of doing fills and most of all the skill at playing up against the rest of the rhythm section.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 17:24
Hawkwind are one of my faves without a doubt. I love how when the album starts you are instantly transported into their cosmic realm, like no other band. they stand alone and don't compromise in their style. 

best albums for me are the classics of the 70s and a few from recent years.

In no particular order

LIVE

STUDIO

1980s

1990s

2000s

Brilliant band and these albums are as good as it gets

For those new to the band with no albums at all grab this compilation

3 CDS of Hawkwind brilliance spanning their whole career to 2000

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 17:26
Oh by the way their first 5 albums are all fantastic and are all available for a cheap price with cardboard sleeves in a 5 CD box set!

You might even like to buy this just cos its so cheap and the packaging is great

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 18:09
Except the 5th is a compilation (though a pretty good one)
Help me I'm falling!
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 18:45
All i know is i've been a huge Hawkwind fan for several years now.I admit i discovered them later in my life,luckily i discovered King Crimson & Atomic Rooster at about the same time.Once i thought nothing existed but Black Sabbath,Blue Oyster Cult,Deep Purple,Dio,Rainbow,Bad Company etc.Anyway back to Hawkwind.The first song i heard of theirs was Master Of The Universe and i instantly knew i had found something that was missing in my life.I've been hooked ever since.I do prefer the "Lemmy" era LPs.Calvert & later era's took awhile to grow on me but i enjoy most all of it now.I've moved Hawkwind to the top of my list of favorite bands.
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 21:38
I had one album back in the 70's Warrior On The Edge Of Time which I liked a lot.Then my music tastes changed and forgot about them.Coming here has re peaked my interest in then and now going back to discover their whole catalogue.
I was able to listen to Space Ritual and like it.I have been drawn into the whole space rock thing now and notice a lot of bands influenced by them.
Have to go into the cosmos now.............
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 22:02
I have In Search Of Space, Space Ritual, Hall Of The Mountain Grill (which I stared out with) and Warrior At The Edge Of Time. Delightfully trippy stuff.

Also, is it me, or were Lemmy's song contributions ("Lost Johnny", "The Watcher", "Motorhead") kind of mediocre? They weren't terrible, there were just underwhelming compared to his bandmates.  It wasn't until he overhauled them for Motörhead's first album that they went from "meh" to "Holy Censored Censored, these songs rule!"

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 17:02
Robert Calvert was the genius. When he took charge they produced some real quality. Astounding is awesome. The next 3 albums were solid. Robert rubbed off in brock and they produced the very good levitation. But i don't like them after this album really. I really don't like them before 1976. They sounded like amateur hard rock punk. Never rated music involving Lemmy.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 01:33
In the late 70s I was very keen on sci fi, Black Sabbath and punk - Hawkwind's albums from In Search Of Space through to Warrior On The Edge fitted in perfectly.
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 12:18
I'm still a relative newcomer, only being familiar with "In Search of Space" and "Space Ritual". I love what I hear, it's just that their albums are rather arduous to find around here. I've been meaning to get my hands on copies of "Hall of the Mountain Grill" and "Warrior on the Edge of Time", as those are the two I tend to hear the most positive things about
King Lerxst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 17:37
Hawkwind seem to be a band that people either love or hate...if they know them at all.  My first exposure was seeing the Hall of the Mountain Grill album sleeve in a store when it was first released and that imagery has stayed with me ever since.  It took me another 30 years to delve deep into their catalogue but I am now a huge fan.  One thing that hurts their legacy though is the huge number of poor quality recordings marketed by various labels.  Some are just awful.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 23:18
Hawkwind and Magma seem to be the only bands that have been consistant in quality in a 40 year or more career.  Not that I'm a Hawkwind die hard fan, nor do I like a lot of the drug championing some of the offshoots of HW seem to be doing (as well as not into that side of Gong).  Maybe the attitude some people have to Hawkwind and HW's humble attitude shows why they have been able to get at the top of their game for about 40 years. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 01:19

My guilty Hawkwind pleasure within a 21 album collection (no compilations!) is not even under the Hawkwind banner but a legal off-shoot (for all intended purpose, more of the same) named Hawklords. “25 Years On” is a special album for me, I really not know why, it just as a cachet a charm that I got from the get-go (I did see the Wind live, that life changing Lemmy event!). Robert Calvert shiningly excels on all songs, seducingly inspirational on “Only the Dead Dreams of the Cold War kids” (such a brilliant title) , the wispy and intense  “The Age of the Microman” , its close cousin , the wily and twirly ‘Freefall’ , add some amazing Gong-like silliness with “Flying Doctor” and  then, finally show some balls with the anthemic and punky ‘The Only Ones” . These 4 tracks really give me a package deal of vintage Hawk splendour, space like you could one dream of, though I have many other tracks to adore, littering their voluminous discography. I also love the murky sound, it somehow gives the production even more vaporous sheen. 

Edited by tszirmay - April 10 2014 at 01:21
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Rihanna View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 02:55
I have never herd of the band, can you recommend a song or two?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>