Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 04:01
'Freefall' is an amazing tune from the Hawklords album. Always love 'Flying Doctor' as well.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 04:35
I have been a fan since 1972 and they just kinda fit for me at that time as I was reading a lot of science fiction having read everything by Moorcock and was in the process of getting to know the Golden Age classics. The Hawks have been one of the few constants in my life since that first encounter and I have all their output since then and saw them live over 30 times including the Space Ritual tour & Stonehenge in the early 80's. Sadly not all of their albums are consistent but I always find some tunes to love. The constant rehashes can be annoying but I'll accept the latest for Huw Lloyd Langton's final contribution.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 21:21
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

My guilty Hawkwind pleasure within a 21 album collection (no compilations!) is not even under the Hawkwind banner but a legal off-shoot (for all intended purpose, more of the same) named Hawklords. “25 Years On” is a special album for me, 

I like that one, too.  I agree it's special.  Calvert is wonderful on that album.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 21:27

My guilty Hawkwind pleasure within a 21 album collection (no compilations!) is not even under the Hawkwind banner but a legal off-shoot (for all intended purpose, more of the same) named Hawklords. “25 Years On” is a special album for me, I really not know why, it just as a cachet a charm that I got from the get-go (I did see the Wind live, that life changing Lemmy event!). Robert Calvert shiningly excels on all songs, seducingly inspirational on “Only the Dead Dreams of the Cold War kids” (such a brilliant title) , the wispy and intense  “The Age of the Microman” , its close cousin , the wily and twirly ‘Freefall’ , add some amazing Gong-like silliness with “Flying Doctor” and  then, finally show some balls with the anthemic and punky ‘The Only Ones” . These 4 tracks really give me a package deal of vintage Hawk splendour, space like you could one dream of, though I have many other tracks to adore, littering their voluminous discography. I also love the murky sound, it somehow gives the production even more vaporous sheen. 

I am thinking of the live Hawklords CD.  Not sure if this is the one you are talking about as I no longer
have it. It had a great version of High Rise on it. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 22:30

My guilty Hawkwind pleasure within a 21 album collection (no compilations!) is not even under the Hawkwind banner but a legal off-shoot (for all intended purpose, more of the same) named Hawklords. “25 Years On” is a special album for me, I really not know why, it just as a cachet a charm that I got from the get-go (I did see the Wind live, that life changing Lemmy event!). Robert Calvert shiningly excels on all songs, seducingly inspirational on “Only the Dead Dreams of the Cold War kids” (such a brilliant title) , the wispy and intense  “The Age of the Microman” , its close cousin , the wily and twirly ‘Freefall’ , add some amazing Gong-like silliness with “Flying Doctor” and  then, finally show some balls with the anthemic and punky ‘The Only Ones” . These 4 tracks really give me a package deal of vintage Hawk splendour, space like you could one dream of, though I have many other tracks to adore, littering their voluminous discography. I also love the murky sound, it somehow gives the production even more vaporous sheen. 

Yeah, I too love that album.
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
Drumstruck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 22:20
Also was a Hawkwind fan through much of the '70s - up to "Warrior...." and a few songs on "Astounding..." then they seemed to lose the plot a bit....  Out of the blue, I was lucky enough to see them last year - maybe their first tour to Australia? and have been listening again.  Teepee was a pleasant "rediscovery" - getting back to their older sound maybe....  ISOS and Warrior remain my favourites.

Some of the offshoots were good too - Captain Lockheed was very good, and Sphinxitintoday had some interesting parts.
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 00:02
"Space Ritual" is still a top-10 desert island (double) disc for me. And Moorcock has always been one of my favorite authors. They really occupy a difficult place, not really here nor there in the prog and space/psychedelic rock communities. I will have to dig up some of the German bands people are claiming that sound like them. (Name me some of those bands?)

Edited by Stereolab - July 17 2014 at 00:05
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 14:15
rotten hound of the burnie crew
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 14:33
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Galactic Tarot 1971

Looks awesome! Do you know where/what that's from?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 14:57

dangerousminds.net/comments/hawkwinds_galactic_tarot_deck_1971

Help me I'm falling!
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 15:16
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

dangerousminds.net/comments/hawkwinds_galactic_tarot_deck_1971

Thanks. Thumbs Up
Drumstruck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 15:40
Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

"Space Ritual" is still a top-10 desert island (double) disc for me. And Moorcock has always been one of my favorite authors. They really occupy a difficult place, not really here nor there in the prog and space/psychedelic rock communities. I will have to dig up some of the German bands people are claiming that sound like them. (Name me some of those bands?)

I can't name any German bands that sound much like Hawkwind but perhaps these are worth a listen:
- Amon Duul II ("Wolf City" and "Carnival in Babylon")
- Frame ("Frame of Mind")
- Nektar ("Down to Earth" with Bob Calvert and "Live at the Roundhouse")

try also (Danish band?) Culpeper's Orchard (self-titled) - one of my favourite albums still
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 20:31
I read the book Steppenwolf , Herman Hesse years ago and then later discovered that Hawkwind had recorded a song relating to the story. My favorite version though ..is from Adrian Wagner's Distances Between Us. It's more of an electronic version and very creepy. Robert Calvert held my interest because of his many stories written around the dark subject of what was going to happen to the world in the future. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 03:04
I always think that In Search Of Space is their most 'Krauty' sounding album. Maybe coz of Dave Anderson.
My personal picks from 33 Hawk LP's I have are :
In Search Of Space
Warrior At The Edge Of Time
Levitation
Chronicle Of The Black Sword
Electric Tepee
It Is The Business Of The Future.....
Blood Of The Earth
.......and live favourites :
Stonehenge - Do Not Panic
Live Chronicles
Palace Springs
Business Trip Live
Love In Space
The early 80's 'RCA' albums are quite interesting too - particularly Church Of Hawkwind.

Anyone into Nik T's latest album 'Space Gypsy' ?? A mighty album it is. This one takes me back to their Warrior period. He's got a really good band together along with guests Steve Hillage and Simon House.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 05:14
How many other experimental rock groups of their generations have their own tarot deck? I'd love to see what Magma's would look like... or Blue Öyster Cult's for that matter.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 12:48
1999 tour party was thought to be good. Hawkwind and Man toured together on this and when they entered Philadelphia to play the Tower Theater or The Spectrum...which is it?...they were widely advertised through the radio and many kids from my town saw the show and returned with buttons displaying the logo of the Hawkwind/Man 1999 Tour Party. This event took place in 1974. 

Dave Brock was asked how he came up with the idea to form Hawkwind and he responded like this: "Well, I heard a Pink Floyd album once and a slide was moving up and down the neck of the guitar with lots of echo ...and I thought, if Pink Floyd can do it. so can I" Dave Brock always had a very even toned vocal style..sometimes like a Folk singer and he seemed to have a better vocal range or actual control over the pitch of his voice than any other member of Hawkwind that attempted singing. Bob Calvert was a decent singer , but sometimes during live performances, he struggled hitting notes. Although I sincerely claim that Bob Calvert was the best writer in Hawkwind. His writings are unique and he is a genius. The most amazing thing to me was how he placed all the uncomfortable words/lines into a song. He wrote the song, but was particularly amazing at naturally hearing where such unusual verbal expressions could fit perfectly. There's never been anyone in Hawkwind since his time that has come close to accomplishing that because they don't write like him or hear the things he was hearing. Hawkwind is still influenced by him, but only to a small degree.

Michael Moorcock writing stories about Elric or even dating back to the WARRIOR album, always seems to place the instrumentation aspect to Hawkwind with a medieval vibe/style. Originally Moorcock's entry revolved around "Sonic Attack" from Space Ritual and Space Rock itself. Later stories like Warrior and the Elric series/volumes were transformed into concept albums. Chronicles Of The Black Sword tour was suppose to enter the U.S. , but further lack of interest from promoters said otherwise. I guess they just couldn't understand why the Hammersmith Odeon was packed with kids who were there to see fire-eaters, poets, dancers, and music. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 23:34
Eccentric folks can fit anything anywhere.
And how premonatory was Calvert's album Test-Tube Concieved ?? The guy may have had some 'issues' (don't many of us ??), but he knew. He saw the future before it actually happened, no matter how ridiculous it sounded/seemed at the time. I do miss Bob. I'm sure he would've made a great friend of mine........

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 03 2014 at 23:35
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 00:03
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Eccentric folks can fit anything anywhere.
And how premonatory was Calvert's album Test-Tube Concieved ?? The guy may have had some 'issues' (don't many of us ??), but he knew. He saw the future before it actually happened, no matter how ridiculous it sounded/seemed at the time. I do miss Bob. I'm sure he would've made a great friend of mine........

I feel the same way, he was prog's weirdest poet and a luminary mind though slightly warped , the WW1 goggles and some of the stories Embarrassed.....He also fused space with a punky attitude (though thankfully not punk anti-musicianship!) . I would have loved to have along chat with him, over a nice Pommard and some snacks. Wink 

Edited by tszirmay - December 04 2014 at 00:04
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 00:08
^ Thomas, you wonderful human being........Calvert deserved every shred of the term 'visionary poet'.....and along with his words we had such a great voice too. He also adds that extra spark to Nektar's Down To Earth album. Not to mention Lucky Leif.........
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 00:33
You are not too 'shabbsville' either, my good mate! My Hawkwind live experience changed me forever (yes it was Lemmy's very last gig before getting the Brock boot). But Calvert completely mesmerized me, as if the 2 drummers, Simon House, Stacia and Liquid Len wasn't enough! It took me 3 days to be able to listen to music again, after that thundering show at CEGEP Maisonneuve (rated by Montreal Jazz festival impressario Andre Menard as one of the best concerts ever in Montreal!) . Brrrrrrr! 
His solo albums are visionary as you so correctly stated, dealing with corporate infamy, medical corruption and a desensitized world. He remains one of my musical idols.   
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>